1.    #1  
    I searched the threads, haven't found anything like this. With the latest Backupman installed (v2.1 at this writing), I get occasional "freezes" mid-backup whilst performing a manual backup. After giving it many minutes, I give it a soft reset - and upon coming back up I get the "dreamsicle of death" (frozen orange and white screen). Device was built clean from the bottom up.

I can get in with a "rocker up" reset, but then I notice the "Brightness" shortcut (opt-P) will only toggle a couple brightness level - the slider is gone! Resets into normal mode leave me with the perpetual dreamsicle screen.

Anyone had experience with:

1) Backupman freezing mid-backup (might be related to the 700p's disappearing SD card issue that I and others are having)?

2) Disappearing "Brightness" slider?

You would think the 700p would be *more* reliable than the 650, but there are a lot of wierd behaviours slowly appearing that are more troublesome than the 600 and the 650.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I've run probably 40 manual backups with BackupMan 2.1 since I got my 700p and have never had a mid-backup freeze. Occasionally it'll reset at the very end of the backup, but I think that's when I haven't reset in a while and memory was getting low.
    Take a gander at the hotsync log or what it says on the screen - what is it freezing up at? Chances are it's the calender or similar PIM. A bit more information. It is the calender, then dbScan is a handy utility.

Ben
    I've finally switched to nvbackup from backupman. Backupman wasn't releasing cache and thus a reset was a muxt after backup ot the device was going to reset itself.
    Treoing & Loving it
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I've run probably 40 manual backups with BackupMan 2.1 since I got my 700p and have never had a mid-backup freeze. Occasionally it'll reset at the very end of the backup, but I think that's when I haven't reset in a while and memory was getting low.
    I've had the "end of backup reset," too. Never occurred on the 650 or 600 (in manual or auto mode).

I hate to start another thread so I'll mention it here - Are people still having to manually turn on their devices in order for the "Automatic" backup to start? This began happening on my 650 too, and in the developer's fixlog he says this issue was corrected in v2.1. Since I "clean installed" the 700p, I'm perplexed.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Sorry, never used the BackupMan "Automatic" feature. Mostly for two reasons, primarily for the reason that gt5l notes: after BackupMan runs the Treo is gonna reset itself; secondarily I think my security application (OnlyMe) interferes with it.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Take a gander at the hotsync log or what it says on the screen - what is it freezing up at? Chances are it's the calender or similar PIM. A bit more information. It is the calender, then dbScan is a handy utility.

Ben
    WHAT IS DBSCAN AND WHERE CAN I GET IT?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    What is dbscan and where can i get it ? also what is dbcashe and where can i get it . i see alot of people use it with the treo when having freezing problems.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Use your google search to find apps

dbScan. dbScan is a utility program that performs an integrity check on the Datebook database. It scans every record in the database looking for errors which indicate that corruption has occurred. For example, records that are out of position (all records are supposed to be in chronlogical order), or records that have invalid dates, or where a note field exceeds the maximum length. While DateBk5 has never caused corruption in the datebook database, there are conduits that do cause problems on occasion, and dbScan is the quick way to pinpoint the culprit without endless finger-pointing.

dbScan is so useful that many other companies, including Palm technical support, and some of our competitors(!) have recommended its use.

You do not need to have this installed at all times on your device, but if you are using some new software that modifies the datebook database and start to have problems, dbScan will prove to be invaluable.

Note: dbScan can be used to remove any deleted records that cause the DataManager Patch on the Tungsten T3 and E to crash underneath a third party application with a DmWrite Error.

dbScan is freeware and can be freely used by anyone provided that the application itself is not modified.

Download dbScan
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    What is dbscan and where can i get it ?
    http://pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm

Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    also what is dbcashe and where can i get it . i see alot of people use it with the treo when having freezing problems.
    http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650FileManagement#Part4

I don't know how well DBCacheTool has been verified on the 700p, nor wheter it is necessary at all with ROM updates made since the original 650 release. I have not tried it myself.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    I searched the threads, haven't found anything like this. With the latest Backupman installed (v2.1 at this writing), I get occasional "freezes" mid-backup whilst performing a manual backup. After giving it many minutes, I give it a soft reset - and upon coming back up I get the "dreamsicle of death" (frozen orange and white screen). Device was built clean from the bottom up.

I can get in with a "rocker up" reset, but then I notice the "Brightness" shortcut (opt-P) will only toggle a couple brightness level - the slider is gone! Resets into normal mode leave me with the perpetual dreamsicle screen.

Anyone had experience with:

1) Backupman freezing mid-backup (might be related to the 700p's disappearing SD card issue that I and others are having)?

2) Disappearing "Brightness" slider?

You would think the 700p would be *more* reliable than the 650, but there are a lot of wierd behaviours slowly appearing that are more troublesome than the 600 and the 650.
    Both BackupMan and Resco Explorer backup have caused my Sprint 700P to run low on dynamic memory, requiring a soft reset. If you use Chatter, you can see this as a "Low Memory" alert. Otherwise, invoking Blazer right after a full backup will usually result in a white screen followed shortly by a reset. I'm guessing this is a problem in the Palm OS.