Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have recently developed a Podcatcher for Palm. I am primairly targeting the 700p, as this is my device. I would like feedback from 700p users before I get into "it doesn't work on my obscure 1969 device with candy dispenser". The software is currently "Pending Approval" at another vender, but you can get the trial at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaPodder/

I just looked into posting the software here at TreoCentral (MobiHand), and it sounds doable. I will do so, after I find out what mistakes I've made with my first attempt at the other vendor. I'm new to the commercial scene.
    hello I'm not the most techno person but can you explain what it is and what it should do? what is a podcatcher?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    hello I'm not the most techno person but can you explain what it is and what it should do? what is a podcatcher?
    A podcatcher automatically downloads podcasts to your (in this case Palm). Podcasts are MP3s regularly updated for shows, radio stations, etc. There is a great deal of free content available. You just find a podcast online, and put the URL for the podcast into your podcatcher. It then downloads the new MP3s automatically.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcatcher

The key to mine is that you don't have to download onto your computer, then transfer to Palm. The palm does it itself.
    sounds good. you have a beta? cause I have a 700 p and I'm always looking to be the first one with new soft ware. give some simple instructions and we (I) will try it
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    I really like the idea but I love the name . Would this be a one time purchase fee software or a yearly subscription?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by znamezsame
    I have recently developed a Podcatcher for Palm. I am primairly targeting the 700p, as this is my device. I would like feedback from 700p users before I get into "it doesn't work on my obscure 1969 device with candy dispenser". The software is currently "Pending Approval" at another vender, but you can get the trial at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaPodder/

I just looked into posting the software here at TreoCentral (MobiHand), and it sounds doable. I will do so, after I find out what mistakes I've made with my first attempt at the other vendor. I'm new to the commercial scene.

Couldn't see exactly where to "get the trial" there.... Could you clarify where to get the trial....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46
    I really like the idea but I love the name . Would this be a one time purchase fee software or a yearly subscription?
    I was hoping the name would would be fun. It is a one time purchase. Podcasting is free, (although many are running adds now to pay for it). I'm just charging for the software I wrote because I gave up my vaccation to do it. If I am ever forced by the masses to make major upgrades, I might charge an upgrade fee, but that isn't too likely, I'm sure there are many upgrades I owe people who purchase it now. It is currently supposed to sell for $9.95. It was going to be cheaper until I found out the vendors take half.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Couldn't see exactly where to "get the trial" there.... Could you clarify where to get the trial....
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaPodder/

You have to join the Yahoo group, then download the file from the files section. Ultimately that is where I will answer questions, take feature requests and bug reports.
    1. will it save directly to the sd card?
    2. Will it work on my 650?

PS awesome app I have been waiting for this.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Very cool.

Since some of these feeds are HUGE it would be nice to be given a menu of the filenames and/or descriptions before downloading, perhaps I've heard this one already (on my iPod).

Or maybe I just need the ability to stream it to pTunes that's what I do when I go to an actual site in Blazer, it sometimes gives me the option to save PLAY, SAVE TO DEVICE or SAVE TO CARD. Choosing PLAY just dumps me to PTUNES and streams it (all I have to do is hit back and save it if I want that episode).

I didn't see anything to save to the card which would be a requirement for constant use. Device RAM is just too precious. (Actually, I think it did).

I really like the idea of auto updates but I'd probably want to define it by podcast.

Maybe let the users define what types of audio they want to stream (I'm sure some will want others than just mp3).

I just did a 4 meg file from Science@NASA and now it's doing a 14 meg one, I was all ready to listen and now I'm waiting

Maybe it could stick them all in their own folder.
    Last edited by garylapointe; 07/09/2006 at 07:34 PM. Reason: increase k to meg
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    1. will it save directly to the sd card?
    2. Will it work on my 650?

PS awesome app I have been waiting for this.
    Yes, it will work on the 650, and is probably even a more important app on the 650. As mentioned above the 700p can stream somewhat reliably. While this is completely unacceptible for me, it may work for some. The 650s data transfer is too slow, and retrieving entire MP3's overnight is much more suited to it.

It always saves to the SD card, and will not run without one.
    Last edited by znamezsame; 07/09/2006 at 02:13 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe
    Very cool.

Since some of these feeds are HUGE it would be nice to be given a menu of the filenames and/or descriptions before downloading, perhaps I've heard this one already (on my iPod).
    Yes, this system is designed to be independent. It assumes you will download and manage your Podcasts through it. When you do, it's quite easy to control by simply setting the QTY for the feed, and deleting listened MP3s through the Player.

Or maybe I just need the ability to stream it to pTunes that's what I do when I go to an actual site in Blazer, it sometimes gives me the option to save PLAY, SAVE TO DEVICE or SAVE TO CARD. Choosing PLAY just dumps me to PTUNES and streams it (all I have to do is hit back and save it if I want that episode).
    Streaming preview is an interesting idea, but beyond the capabilities of the library I used to interface with pTunes. Plus the system is more of a have it already, cause it downloaded overnight, and delete it if you don't want it.

I didn't see anything to save to the card which would be a requirement for constant use. Device RAM is just too precious. (Actually, I think it did).
    It always saves to card. You're right about RAM.

I really like the idea of auto updates but I'd probably want to define it by podcast.
    Possibly future feature. You can define the QTY of MP3s to save by podcast now.

Maybe let the users define what types of audio they want to stream (I'm sure some will want others than just mp3).
    Possibly future feature.

I just did a 4k file from Science@NASA and now it's doing a 14k one, I was all ready to listen
    Maybe it could stick them all in their own folder.
    The 4k file was likely the XML feed file that tells podcatchers where to download the MP3s, the 14k is likely the MP3. PortaPodder will always show you that it's downloading the XML as well. Remember to check /Palm/Programs/PortaPodder/PortaPodder.txt for details on what happened during an update.

Right now it puts all MP3s in /Audio/.
    Sounds intriguing. How different is this from QNews's podcast handling?
    The 4k file was likely the XML feed file that tells podcatchers where to download the MP3s, the 14k is likely the MP3. PortaPodder will always show you that it's downloading the XML as well. Remember to check /Palm/Programs/PortaPodder/PortaPodder.txt for details on what happened during an update.

Oops, I meant 4,000k and 14,000k (My fault). I jest meant it was taking a LONG time to wait.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    I was thinking more like /audio/podcatcher (assuming that's findable by the system).
    I use PodcastReady and the Mypodder app with a SanDisk 1gb Ultra Plus USB SD card. Its a combo that cannot be beat. Put the SD card into any USB/USB2 connector on any PC and it will auto run the MyPodder software to download directly to the SD Card your new podcasts. You set them up either online or through the mypodder app. Then put the SD card back in the treo (flip the cover over to hide the USB slot) and bam you have new podcasts. Nothing comes close to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmets
    I use PodcastReady and the Mypodder app with a SanDisk 1gb Ultra Plus USB SD card. Its a combo that cannot be beat. Put the SD card into any USB/USB2 connector on any PC and it will auto run the MyPodder software to download directly to the SD Card your new podcasts. You set them up either online or through the mypodder app. Then put the SD card back in the treo (flip the cover over to hide the USB slot) and bam you have new podcasts. Nothing comes close to it.
    nothing comes close? why not just set media player to do an auto playlist for your pocasts?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I downloaded Portapodder and the default podcasts - very cool. The UI is very basic, but everything works as it should. Nice app. I'd like to register it but before doing so - will I have to pay for upgrades?
    I used podcatcher for a couple days and quickly went back to iTunes.

Reasons being:
    * You have to click a short cut to launch the app, I can't figure out a way to auto run it.
    * Itls very SLOW to download the podcasts when you plug the SD card it. It's much faster to let iTunes download them automatically and just drog them over to the SD card. Drag and drop actually works in iTunes menu, it took me a while to realize it. You can select multiple items too.
    * Podcatcher doesn't alway remember I have downloaded and listened to and deleted the file. It would download it again.
    i uninstalled as well. the interface is TOO basic. the 5 way pad did not work with the menus and it was WAY too slow.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast