1.    #1  
    I have a 700p. My wife has a Merlin S620 evdo data card.

I attached both of them to my laptop today and ran speed tests using
    700p - sprint pcs connection manager
    pc card - sprint pcs connection manager
    700p - pdanet
    pc card - sprint pcs connection manager
    700p - usb modem

The results are below. In all cases, I see that the treo is slower then the evdo card.

I also did a couple of speed tests, just using the treo, no PAM, to download a 5.14 mb file using audible air repeatedly.

Treo showing 91dbm connected to laptop
    EVdo card in laptop showing 99dbm

tests done using dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    test 1 on treo - sprint connection manager
    246kbps/38kbps
    30.8kb/sec / 4.8kb/sec
    test 2 on treo - sprint connection manager
    192/78
    24/9.7
    test 1 on evdo card
    435/82
    54.4kb/sec / 10.2kb/sec
    test 2 on evdo card
    697/62
    87.1 / 7.8

test 3 on treo - using pdanet
    284/57
    35.6/7.1
    test 4 on treo - using pdanet
    353/94
    44.1/11.8

test 3 on evdo card
    753/83
    94.1/10.4
    test 4 on evdo card
    371/94
    46.4/11.7

test 5 on treo - using usb modem
    215/80
    26.9/10

test 6 on treo - using usb modem
    121/81
    15.1/10.2

test 5 on evdo card
    771/64
    96.4/8

test 6 on evdo card
    459/86
    57.4/10.8

Audible air attempt #1
    3min 25sec for 5442109.44 bytes or 25.92k/sec down
    Audible air attempt #2
    2min 14sec for 39.66k/sec down
    A data card that uses your laptop's processor is always going to be faster (when in similar settings) than a phone-as-modem route, since the data card solution means you're not depending on using your phone's processor to act as a router.

When people ask whether to use a phone as modem versus a dedicated PC card for laptop connectivity, I always tell them to use the card option if they (or their company) can afford it.
    That's a relatively low data rate for the Treo to handle, I can't imagine why the Treo would be the bottleneck. Your Treo is providing a direct connection to your PC, it isn't performing any routing functions on its own. In fact, your PC must handle the dialing and log-in as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    A data card that uses your laptop's processor is always going to be faster (when in similar settings) than a phone-as-modem route, since the data card solution means you're not depending on using your phone's processor to act as a router.
    I don't think that's true. The Treo can easily than handle the same bandwidth that the data card was pulling in these tests. If you look around the forums, you'll see some tests where most people are finding their 700p's usually don't get more than 300kbps. Personally, I think that it's a PalmOS problem. Most WM5 devices have no problem pulling 400-600 kbps, while most 700p users don't see those kinds of speeds.

Also, many say that the dslreports speed test isn't accurate, although I still think that the Treo generally gets lower EvDO speeds.
    Testing out USB Modem today... around 140ms latency, got a consistent 880kbps when downloading a 50 meg file (110 KBps). Raw throughput is probably a little higher. Aside from the latency, during normal use, using it felt almost as if i was on DSL. This was with 2 bars, downstairs, with the phone next to me. Upstream was a bit low... around 75-80 kbps. Not bad for a phone though.

Also, i received several calls during my test... the connection paused. After hanging up the phone, the connection picked up right where it left off relatively quick... (less than 5 seconds. I am very very pleased with the performance!
    I'm getting much faster speeds using my Treo with the tethered mode hack.
    I'm getting 724/79 kbps
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I have to suspect that the speed difference is due to something else... I got about 550/130 with only 2 bars on my 700p, so I don't think the Treo is the bottleneck. I am also on Verizon, if that makes any difference.

Did you also make sure the Treo and the PC card were both pulling data off the same router address? There are a number of variables here, including fluctuations in signal strength over the course of any single test.
    I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here. Comparing the speeds of two similar modems using different interfaces is like asking why 802.11 standards are slower than 802.3 standards...

Bluetooth has greater latency in transfering information, it is more reliant on the very poor processor in the Treo, and the rate at which bluetooth can send bits is generally slower than a PCMCIA card. A PCMCIA card on the other hand, has less latency, relies more on the desktop processor, faster rates, doesn't have to authenticate every frame with a PIN number, and has a greater throughput. a PCMCIA card is just more efficient.

Try running speed tests when attached to a wired network and again while using a wireless network. I guarantee that wired will be faster than wireless by a pretty large number, even though they have the same WAN connection.

I don't think the OP was using the Treo tethered via bluetooth -- I assumed it was via USB. If it was tethered via bluetooth, then that explains the poor scores.

Can we get a clarification?
  10.    #10  
    All testing was done using usb connection via a seidio dual head charge sync cable, with nothing on the power only head. I do have the tethered mode hack installed on the phone.

The data card and phone were approximately 3 inches from each other. All tests were performed using the same testing server at dsl reports and all were done one right after another.

I decided to do the test because I was travelling over the last few weeks throughout the midwest - Chicago, Indiana, KY, and in all cases the speeds I were seeing seemed slower then when I last travelled through and was using my wife's evdo card.

To answer someone else's question;
    Did you also make sure the Treo and the PC card were both pulling data off the same router address?

No - not sure how to check / switch. I recall a thread on the forum about this awhile ago, but remember trying on my 700p to set other routers and not being able to get a connection.