1.    #1  
    hello to all, I am a new Treo owner and I just switched from a BB. I did a search on this topic but came up with nothing. Im shopping around for a sd card and was wondering which would work best with my 700p. Does it matter which brand? Do the higher speeds versions work better? Im totally in left field with this thing so any help/info would be greatly appreciated. thank you
    If you need maximum capacity go with a Transcend 4GB x150 card.

If you need maimum performance, I've been very happy with the SanDisk 2GB Ultra II card.

Get the fastest card you can in the capacity that you need, it does make a difference.

If you get any of the above cards, make sure you format it using 32K clusters... (There are other threads discussing this..
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have empirical data that shows "High Speed" cards do not make a difference in the Treo. The Treo itself is the bottleneck. You would see improvements in throughput with the card in a card reader attached to your PC, i.e. drag-n-drop MP3 files to it.

My standard speed vs. high speed Lexar SD card data is detailed in this thread, and contains data for both Treo600 and Treo650. I no longer have those cards (have a PNY 2GB now) so I can't perform the same experiments in my 700p.

That's just my experience... YMMV.

ERic
    VFSMark scores by themselves are very misleading. You want to buy thes fastest card at the capacity you need, in order to improve your write speed.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Well the CardSpeed write spec numbers I reported indicate to me it's not worth spending any extra money on a "High Speed" card. I think I'll stick to that until I see some real data in a Treo that shows otherwise.

ERic
    I've discovered that certain programs, e.g., BibleThumper, work faster with a faster card and are painfully slow, by seconds, on a slower card. Couldn't explain why this is, but I've eliminated the problem by getting the fastest card possible.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2700p
    hello to all, I am a new Treo owner and I just switched from a BB. I did a search on this topic but came up with nothing. Im shopping around for a sd card and was wondering which would work best with my 700p. Does it matter which brand? Do the higher speeds versions work better? Im totally in left field with this thing so any help/info would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II on EBay that turned out to be fake. Card and packaging looked identical to one I had with the exception of the serial number. I would spend the extra $ and get one from a well known on-line store or retail store. The guy refunded my money but I still reported him to SanDisk.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Well the CardSpeed write spec numbers I reported indicate to me it's not worth spending any extra money on a "High Speed" card. I think I'll stick to that until I see some real data in a Treo that shows otherwise.

ERic
    Just noticed that you are testing on a 600. Try the tests on a 650 or 700p. They do make a difference. (Also make sure you have the cards formatted with a 32K cluster size. It seems to provide the best write performance.)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Just noticed that you are testing on a 600. Try the tests on a 650 or 700p. They do make a difference.
    If you read the thread I referenced you'll see there's data for both a 600 and a 650 with the same cards. The 650's speed was improved over the 600's, but the Treo was still the bottle neck as both cards behaved essentially the same.

Read my post a couple spots up and see that I said I can't perform the same test in my 700p as I no longer have those cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II on EBay that turned out to be fake. Card and packaging looked identical to one I had with the exception of the serial number. I would spend the extra $ and get one from a well known on-line store or retail store. The guy refunded my money but I still reported him to SanDisk.
    There's been a rash of fakes on eBay for about 6 months. I use pricegrabber.com to find good prices and buy from those retailers.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr

What was your speed with the fake Sans Disk and how did you discover the item was a fake? Thank you. I have purchased the 4 gig and the speed is good. I see no lags
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Hi all,

On Black Friday I bought a SanDisk 2GB SD for $29.99 at Best Buy to use as a backup while Corsair replaced my 133x 2GB card. Now that I got the new card from Corsair, I'm debating whether or not to keep the SanDisk card. On the one hand, it was a good deal; on the other hand, it's not a high speed card and I know that prices will continue to fall. Would it be a good idea to hang on to it as a backup or would I be better off waiting for the price of 4gb high speed cards to drop? The last thing I need it a $30 card that sits in my desk drawer and never gets used.

One thing I was thinking of doing was using the SanDisk card to store only MP3's and just insert it when I want to listen to music; however, that means carrying it around with me all the time. I also don't know if the slowness of the card will impact MP3 playing, given the fact that the 700p tends to suck with music playback anyway...

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I only have till the end of the day to get my money back!
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    I use a 150x 4GB Ritek card formatted with the larger clusters, not as fast as my older 2GB card but bearable. The 700p lag is much worse than any lag attributable to an SD card.

===

I've usually sourced newegg.com for cards and RAM - not always the absolute cheapest price on everything, but usually pretty good. Service is quick and reliable, good name brands (and a few riskier ones), shipping price is right next to the product (and they reduce it with quantity).

Their selection is usually pretty extensive, and not a bad search engine. Even have the 8GB Transcend SDHC cards at a good price - reportedly working on the 680 out of the box, and 650's/700p's with hacked 680 ROM drivers.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    It takes forever to scroll through my SD card based photos on my Transcend 4GB 150x on my 700p as compared to my Sandisk Ultra II 1GB. Is this something that others have noticed, the long scroll time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    If you need maximum capacity go with a Transcend 4GB x150 card.

, make sure you format it using 32K clusters... (There are other threads discussing this..
    Please explain? how do you format a sd card what is the 32K cluster, I simply use a card reader and drag drop files then plug & play in my treo.
    is there a proper way to set up or use an sd card for optimal performance in a treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Please explain? how do you format a sd card what is the 32K cluster, I simply use a card reader and drag drop files then plug & play in my treo.
    is there a proper way to set up or use an sd card for optimal performance in a treo?
    Good question. I'd like to hear from others, too.
    I’ve got various 2 gig cards, and two 4 gig cards. The faster speeds make a huge difference. HUGE!
    This is especially noticeable when doing backups (using various bits of software) and when using other data-intensive software.
    I had been using Garmin QUE on my 700P. On slow cards, it was unusable. On a fast 150speed Category 6 card, it was somewhat usable. I switched to TomTom v6, and it is almost instantaneous on my fast cards.
    I bought a cheapie 4 gig card from KingMax Series M. I was proud of a great price — something like $80 Cdn. Absolutely crawled !@#$#@! Over half an hour for NVBackup operation. Useless.
    Fast cards are horridly expensive. I paid about $200 Cdn (tax included) for a 4 gig SDHD card — and then installed the SDHD patch from the 680. NVBackup is now about 4 minutes. Wonderful! I won’t go back even to a medium speed card.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I have yet to see a 4gig in retail stores.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    For best bang for the buck, I would go with the A-DATA 8gb SDHC card from newegg for $25 plus $4.99 shipping (and tax if applicable) after $15 mail-in rebate and $15 paypal rebate if you use paypal as form of payment in newegg.
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2700p View Post
    I do not know much about bit rates and clusters, but I can tell you that my 700p camera is way quicker now that I have replaced the cheap knockoff sd card with a reputable Sandisk Ultra sd card. The difference is night and day. I used to have huge lags after taking photos, and while scrolling through my albums. Now there is almost no delay whatsoever.