Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is a site from Canada by Steve Punter, an audiophile, where he discusses in great detail a large number of phones from the perspective of an audiophile. NOT the music, but the human spoken word, both incoming and outgoing. I love all the extras, but business requires me to have excellent audio vocal quality on both ends.

He said he cannot recommend a single site to me that would apply in the US market! His reviews are purely for the Canadian market.

Apparently most folks are not that interested in the quality of the voice, preferring a good game to a flawlessly heard conversation. i am in the minority, an audiophile of sorts.

How does the 650 measure up in this audio regard- ( all things being equal- best provider a given ) ?
    Are there applications to alter via EQ the tonal balance of the ingoing and outgoing voice? I am new to all this. I have searched to no avail.
    Can the Treo stand up to a dedicated phone audio wise?

Thank you
    Last edited by telephonitis; 07/08/2006 at 04:46 PM.
    Treo 650 without VolumeCare: definitely not!!
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    My experience using three 650's on Cingular is that audio quality is not good at all. I don't think Cingular is the problem because recently I made a test call...confirmed poor sound quality...then put my sim in a friends inexpensive phone and repeated the call from the same location. The sound quality was excellent on the cheap phone ...it was every bit as good as a landline.

While VolumeCare helps increase volume the sound quality is still not good. The problem seems to be primarily with the sound quality that people hear when I am talking to them.

The quality is worst when using the speakerphone and almost as bad on bluetooth headset and just using the 650 itself in normal mode.

The 650 is an incredible tool overall because of email, web, and document handling (attachments such as PDF, Word, Excel, etc). I choose to stick with the 650 because I don't see any better solution for my overall communication needs.

The phone, sound quality portion is a disappointment compared to any phone I've had in the past.
    --Nelson
    Since I'll be purchasing my first PDA phone in a few weeks this is a very important question for me also. I wonder if the 700p is any better as a phone.

I don't need all the games, I need a good phone that happens to be a PDA. I was looking at the BlackBerry also (I really like the feel of the Palm PDA's more) but I don't know how it compares to the 650 in terms of phone quality.
  5.    #5  
    I live in S Cal. I am patiently trialing various PDA type phones to find a solution.
    On Tmob, the MDA WIN 5 phone had a great sound, maybe better than even the simpler but "solid" phones of my recent past. ( Dedicated phones ). But, either I had a lemon or they haven't quite worked out all the issues. I will try it again at a later date. Oh, the one hand aspect of MDA is very poor.

I am hoping my luck with the TREO unlocked 650 will be different than some of you!! . I am signing up with CIng today, I will let you know. I have used a BB 8700g, and the sound was just "so so" .
    Mind you I am somewhat fussy.
    Thanx for all the responses- I welcome more responses about AUDIO VOCAL QUALITY/ fixes? BT as a help or hindrance/ headsets ditto. If this thread is in the wrong place, my apologies.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonitis
    ......I am hoping my luck with the TREO unlocked 650 will be different than some of you!! . I am signing up with CIng today, I will let you know. I have used a BB 8700g, and the sound was just "so so" .
    Mind you I am somewhat fussy.
    Thanx for all the responses- I welcome more responses about AUDIO VOCAL QUALITY/ fixes? BT as a help or hindrance/ headsets ditto........
    Please let us know what you find. While my priorities place PDA capability higher than phone capability I'm hoping that your investigation comes up with a good result.

I mentioned that I've had three 650's. The reason was that I could not believe that the sound quality could be so poor so I got the first two replaced. If you find a 650 with good sound quality I may ask for another replacement 650. At this point I'm not asking for one because I have no confidence that it will be any better.
    --Nelson
  7.    #7  
    Is your experience with 650 sub standard voice audio with or without "VolumeCare" or some comparable app?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonitis
    Is your experience with 650 sub standard voice audio with or without "VolumeCare" or some comparable app?
    I use VolumeCare and appreciate what it does. However, it helps volume...not sound quality.

I've tried using all three phones both with and without VC...the quality was the same both ways. I've also checked sound quality with the standard ROM with no third party applications installed and then with custom ROMs and limited third party apps. I'm sorry to say there was no difference.
    --Nelson
    That's odd. I've used my Treo 650 for a year on Cingular and I find the sound quality excellent. I've had numerous non-PDA phones and they were just as good. Hmmm...!?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude
    That's odd. I've used my Treo 650 for a year on Cingular and I find the sound quality excellent. I've had numerous non-PDA phones and they were just as good. Hmmm...!?
    I hope more folks with good sound quality respond...thanks.
    --Nelson
    How would you guys rate the RF of the Treo 650?
    I think the sound quality of the 700P is better than the 650. Out of the box the volume is definitely louder, but I think the quality is better as well. I also bought a UmeVoice noise cancelling headset and that helps.
  13.    #13  
    Anyone else on the sonic superiority of 700P over 650??

A Cing salesman ( for what it's worth ) told me 3 out of 10 Treo 650 are good!!
    I doubt that, but it may be a half truth, half the time! I mention this in response to Nelson with his ebbing hope for a better audio vox quality 650.

My signing up with Cing has been postponed for a few more days. They say I have a paltry 3 days to decide!!

I am currently still using the BB 8700g, which is sonically OK at best. My fingers are crossed that Cing and 650 will be adequate.

Thanks
    Last edited by telephonitis; 07/10/2006 at 09:57 PM.
    I'm with Cingular and have the 650. Voice quality is good, both from the Treo and my Plantronics Voyager BT headset. Like most candybars, it picks up background noise, but it is controlled well.

I've had the following on Cingular, in order of sound quality:
    V551
    Treo 650
    SE T637

I think the V551 is best because the flip blocks a lot of BG noise out.

With Cingular, you have 30 days, not 3. So use it and leave yourself voicemails where you need to judge voice quality. That way you can see (hear) for yourself.
  15.    #15  
    mbryda thanks for the voi mail suggestion/
    I find the sound on the 650 to be more than adequate!! This is a pleasant surprise for this noob!
    To be more descriptive of the vox audio of 650: For my male ears the 650 sounds LESS dark, therefore more emphasis in the mid range. I am referring to what I hear, NOT what my callers hear. This emphasis of the mid range suits my need for intelligibility in hearing my callers. I found my Razor the worst in this way, others disagree! To me it was far too bassy, especially to distiguish husky ( lower pitched ) male voices. The human "ear" hears certain frequencies more readily than others- Flethcher Munson curves- between 1000 and 6000 cycles per sec we hear those frequencies more readily- nature's adaptation? screams in the hood/ LaBrea Tar pits is higher rather than lower pitched!! Nevertheless to me, the 650 sounds clearER - less bassy- than the BB8700g and the awfully bassy MotoRazor. The best/clearest IMHO however was the MDA wizard, but that phone had serious flaws regarding basic phone functions.
    SO FAR, the 650 is loud enough, so I have not bothered with "VOLUMEcare"- the relative emphasis of where we ( I and most humanoids ) need to hear ( 1K hz -6Khz ).is sufficient in the 650.
    To those younger people who need Volcare: It is too soon to say. I am in my 50's= a little hearing loss perhaps, so one of two things explanations- either those who say it is not loud enough have premature hearing damage from too loud music, or I have not tested the 650 in loud enough environs yet. I may yet get VOLcare, I will keep you posted. Best sound MDA, followed by 650, closely followed by BB 8700, in last place razor- sorry Moto.
    Thanks much for this terrific forum AND phone.
    Last edited by telephonitis; 07/16/2006 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Reason?: I thimk therefore I yam what I am.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've found the incoming voice quality on my 650 with 1.13a rom on Sprint to be crap, imho. Maybe my ears are messed up from listening to sony sports walkman too loud in nyc subways during hs, but it truly suc_s.

I've even replaced the rectangular speaker thinking that it was the speaker - to no avail.

I'm thinking of getting another line just for phone conversations.

Do others think the same way, or is it just my hearing/device?
    Last edited by Pegleg; 08/20/2006 at 05:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    You hit the nail at the head Nelson in regards to the sound quality for T650. I did same experiment that you did with a cheap phone and the sound quality was much better than that of T650. Cingular is not the problem at all with sound quality.
    I get some weird clicking/motor running/generator sound - I don't know how else to explain it - when I use the Treo itself (and not the headset) for both incoming and outgoing calls. The sound is faint, but it's there. Everyone on the other end has said that I sound absolutely fine, so it's just my side

Oh, and the speakerphone is crystal clear and LOUD when playing mp3s, but pretty much the opposite when listening to voicemail or on a call.

Anyone else have these problems?

I'm thinking of removing the SIM and just using the Treo as a PDA. The web browsing experience isn't too thrilling anyway, so maybe I'll just carry around my Nokia N70. So much for convergence!
    Sounds wonderful with Phone Technician, and speakerphone is great on my end too! However, I've had varying reports about call quality on the other end, especially when using the speakerphone. Oddly enough, if I'm talking to my buddy on her 'Berry, then the sound quality sounds odd for both of us. hahaha built-in rivalry?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    I have a good sound/volume quality without VolumeCare. I just rise the volume with side buttons and it is far than enough. As a rule volume is pretty low for speakerphone but I rarely use it at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast