Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have cingular svc and they have a svc for 3g phone called cingular video. Since i have an unlimited plan I could get some basic channels free.

Would the treo650 be capable of using this service from cingular??

https://www.cingular.com/media/cingular_video_index
    Yes it is compatible with that. When you launch browser go to the cingular wap page and enter your mediaID and password then you can access it.
    Keep in mind that you will be limited to EDGE speeds on the 650.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The Treo 650 is not a 3G phone. It is "2.5G". You can use the service, but the speed may be wanting.
    Yes I think the 650 will support it (not sure), but technically Cingular does not yet support true 3G service. EDGE is considered 2.5G as holmes said.

Like I said, it is compatible and it will work. it works fine for me, and I havent had much lag while using it at all.
    What exactly is the URL that will give you the links for the Cingular Video? My MediaNet home page doesn't have the links. Thanks in advance.
  8.    #8  
    customer svc said it would not work since its not a 3g phone.

where can we get the link or download the program to get the free channels?

any help
    Pro5.....are you using it with your Treo or another phone?
    EDGE is certainly qualifies as 3G tho some pundits have inappropriately slapped the 2.5 moniker on it. In truth there is no such thing as 2.5 G as there is no 2.5G standard. What 2.5 G came to mean was a 2G standard with an overlay protocol which sped up data access over other 2g phones as in GPRS. Because EDGE is slower than other 3G alternatives, some of these pundits like to label it "akin to 2.5 G" when it first came out and all we saw was Class 1 - 3 devices.

The 650 uses EDGE Class 10 which is 2-4 times as fast than the other classifications given when the moniker was 1st applied....the distinction has between classes has been lost on the less informed journalists and many still throw around the 2.5g thing after having read one of these articles.

Check out the "Wireless w/o Borders" article in PC mag. It's a comparison of 3G offerings and EDGE is included.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1771797,00.asp

To compare performance go tot his link:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772935,00.asp

and click on test results to bring up the graphic.

Class 4 averages 100kbps whereas Class 10 about 220 kbps. By comparison EVDO and HSDPA 1.8 average as high as 1,000 kpps and HSDPA 3.6 is up around 2,000 kbps
    So you are trying to tell us that Class 10 GPRS speeds fall into the same 3G category as EvDO and HSPDA? Because it looks like there is giant gap between EDGE and EvDO. Besides, isn't EDGE circuit-switched data.... I thought 3G was supposed to be packet-switched?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    So you are trying to tell us that Class 10 GPRS speeds fall into the same 3G category as EvDO and HSPDA? Because it looks like there is giant gap between EDGE and EvDO. Besides, isn't EDGE circuit-switched data.... I thought 3G was supposed to be packet-switched?
    I can't imagine anyone would make that interpretation when I specifically said otherwise. 3 G is a standard....esentially "mobile broadband"

anything which meets that standard is 3G. Look at landline broadband. All of the following are DSL:

DSL sync cap Net DSL speed* Maximum transfer speed FTP Transfer of 10 meg testfile**
    192 kbps 163 kbps 20.3 KBytes/sec ~512 seconds
    384 kbps 327 kbps 40.8 KBytes/sec ~256 seconds
    768 kbps 655 kbps 81.8 KBytes/sec ~128 seconds
    1.5 mbps 1.3 mbps 162 KBytes/sec ~64 seconds
    3.0 mbps 2.6 mbps 325 KBytes/sec ~32 seconds
    6.0 mbps 5.2 mbps 650 KBytes/sec ~16 seconds

Seems there is a pretty large gap between those options and yet they are all DSL. With a 32:1 performance ratio between highest and lowest, they are all DSL.

Now look at my optonline cable servcie:

Cable broadband when I signed up was 7,500 kbps (3500 avergae)
    Cable broadband this year is 15,000 kbps (11,000 average)
    Cable+ is broadband which I now have is 30,000 kbps (28,900 average)

With an advertised 4:1 performance ratio (8:1 IRL - in real life), they are all still optonline cable broadband.

Labels and categories don't define speed, numbers do. I case you missed it the first time around, I said:

Curerntly available options:

Class 4 EDGE - 100kbps
    Class 10 EDGE - 220 kbps (Cingular Treo 650)
    EVDO - 1,000 kbps (Sprint Verison Treo 700's getting 250-750)
    HSDPA 1.8 1,000 kbps (No Treos till 3rd quarter - Cingular OTA demo in vegas jan 06)
    HSDPA 3.6 2,000 kbps (No Treos until 3rd quarter - Cingular OTA demo in vegas jan 06)

So EVDO, in practice is 2-3 times faster than EDGE (tho many still getting < 300 kbps speeds) and HSDPA is, in practice (so far), 2-3 times faster than EVDO. Of course until we see a HSDPA equipped Treo, we won't know what limitations will exist in usage on that platform and whether Palm with throw ina 1.8 or 3.6 capable radio.....as there are no 1.8 HSDPA broadcasting towers anymore, one would think they would go w/3.6 but maybe they bought the hardware before that development took place or maybe they wanna save room for a future upgrade.
    Point well taken, very nicely stated. Thank you for the info. However, I was hoping you would be able to clarify on the packet-switched vs. circuit-switched networking. I was under the impression that by definition the 3G standard used packet-switched networks, EDGE on the other hand simply emulates 3G networking while still using CSD.
    Last edited by FrozenCode; 07/11/2006 at 04:29 PM.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Back to the original topic... I logged in to the cingular WAP site but I can not find anything for Cingular Video. If anyone else is able to access this please provide the details.
    Try checking the settings where it lets you choose which links you want on device.home page, there might be a setting there to include Cingular Video.

16.    #16  
    I still cannot get the cingular video on my treo. can anyone advise how they did this?
    I select the link for Cingular TV off http://device.home and it gives me a message that you must have a "3G" device to view Cingular TV and says to point your PC to the Cingular TV web site for more information.
    So, rflores2323 and kstinnett - where you able to get Cingular Video on your Treo 650?
  19.    #19  
    I was never able to do it. from the post here it says its possible but nobody can give us a link so that we can access it. I tried with cingular and they said that is my phone was compatible that I should have an icon for it. that's it.

any help anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    Point well taken, very nicely stated. Thank you for the info. However, I was hoping you would be able to clarify on the packet-switched vs. circuit-switched networking. I was under the impression that by definition the 3G standard used packet-switched networks, EDGE on the other hand simply emulates 3G networking while still using CSD.
    Both GPRS and EDGE are packet switched. CSD in GSM is limited to 14.4k, and most are running 9600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast