1.    #1  
    OK-

Before I get flamed or referred to a website that should answer all of my questions...I have done that and am either paranoid or just stupid...or just maybe both.

I have a CNG t650 and it had the 30 second time out problem that the websites indicated to me was a firmware bug that could be fixed by updating it. Yet, when I looked under phone info I had on my original phone it indicatd that my software was "treo650-1b.17-CNG". Underneath that listing it states that I had Hardware B.

I had no other information on hardware and simply reinstalled the "CNG" version of the updater. So did I install the wrong updater? should I have used treo650-1b.17-CNB instead. The instructions gave no indication of what I was supposed to do...So I went back with what I had before...assuming...OK...Hoping that the fix was in the updated even if the file name was not changed.

So am I paranoid or just stupid?

Skigs
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs
    OK-

Before I get flamed or referred to a website that should answer all of my questions...I have done that and am either paranoid or just stupid...or just maybe both.

I have a CNG t650 and it had the 30 second time out problem that the websites indicated to me was a firmware bug that could be fixed by updating it. Yet, when I looked under phone info I had on my original phone it indicatd that my software was "treo650-1b.17-CNG". Underneath that listing it states that I had Hardware B.

I had no other information on hardware and simply reinstalled the "CNG" version of the updater. So did I install the wrong updater? should I have used treo650-1b.17-CNB instead. The instructions gave no indication of what I was supposed to do...So I went back with what I had before...assuming...OK...Hoping that the fix was in the updated even if the file name was not changed.

So am I paranoid or just stupid?

Skigs
    So if you have treo650-1b.17CNG
    then:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r.html#doineed
    Are you saying the Updater didn't run correctly?
    Or you still have the 30sec bug?
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    The 30 sec bug appears to be fixed...to that end I am happy.

However, my concern is really to determine if my pairing of firmware (01.51), software (treo650-1b.17.CNG), and hardware (B) is appropriate.

The updater site for Cingular has 3 files without any real explanation on proper selection. I just picked the one that had the same file name as the one that I had originally assumming that the file on the website had fixed the bug without changing the name of the file.

For all I know the pairing I have is wrong out of the box. I just assume that someone here at TC knows the answers to these things.

Thanks

Skigs
    Nothing adverse will happen by running a Gsm Rom (fw/sw) other than what your Treo originally came with. Many choose to Run 'Unbranded' fw/sw for personal pref.
    One Major thing to keep in mind, Is if the Updater ran all the way thru, then you choose the right one.
    None of the Updaters on the Palm website will run unless it is compatable w/ the fw/sw already on the treo. (Unless you manually change the Tokens)
    Just call me Berd.
    CNG is Cingular Orange and CNB is Cingular Blue (former AT&T). CNA is something else. They're basically all the same with the exception of some different predefined favorites and contacts and some embedded/displayed apps like Expressmail (CNG) vs. Wireless Mail (CNB)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the affimration both of you. Depite my passion for the treo (I had a 180..went to a 600..had several of them....and now my 650)....I don't really have any significant savvy with it and am more than sure that I under-utiliize it. Which is one of the big reasons that I come here. You guys know your **** and it helps me know more...and if I am lucky maybe I can help someone else out as well.

Skigs
    I dont know if this helps you, but I have a cingular branded 650, but it is un;locked and I have t-mobile as a carrier. My Phone info states the following:
    Firmware: 01.51
    Software: Treo650-1b.17-CNG
    Hardware: A

the only difference is my harware is A. But no problems here. Maybe that is it (Hardware B)?