Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hi Everybody:

I just got busted at work. Actually, call me naive, I didn't even know there was a policy for this, so I guess I'm not busted until I get caught again.

Here's the dish: I am not allowed to cradle my personal treo at work because while cradled, it has potential wireless access to the internet with no firewall, no antivirus.

Our IT guy isn't going to get into an enterprise-wide antivirus/firewall thing for mobile devices.. there are a few company-issued blackberries, but I guess blackberry shuts down wireless access when the handheld connects to the server. (?)

Anyway, for me, he says he *could* be comfortable with it if I could find some SW out there that prevents wireless access while the thing is cradled.

So, I'm on a quest. Is there any such thing out there?

-Suz.
    go to your pref-> network, then Disconnect?
    Ditto trim81. Just disconnect from the network and turn off BT auto detect. You can still get/make calls and get SMS, just no web surfing.

Another option might be to just connect the power cord (it pulls out of the hotsynch cable and works by itself on many cables), if all you want to do is keep it charged.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Manually disconnecting isn't an option (for Mr. IT). He doesn't trust me. If the potential exists for a connection to be established, he doesn't want it cradled.

He believes that even if I have disconnected and turned the phone OFF, with the thing cradled, and HotSync NOT active, the treo device can be hacked from somewhere (?who knows where?) and the wireless connection activated, and nefarious internet content downloaded onto the treo and thus onto the company LAN. Nevermind that signal s*cks in this building; I can't make a call from in here.

My observation has been that the device is only visible in the device manager when HotSync is running.

Anyway.. any ideas about how I can either automatically disable the connection while cradled, or convince him that cradling is safe?

S.
    A little research turned up this app:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...7&prodid=53362

It claims to close down the data connection when idle. Not sure just what it means. You could give it a try or check out the user manual.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder