Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I hope this hasn't been covered, I looked. I called Verizon and then Palm and found it is a "Known problem" with an update coming fairly soon (whatever that means). Apparently there is no way to selectively hang up one or the other line as in the 650 and 600. I often am leaving a message when the pther party calls back apparently after missing the call. I take the incomiong and ask them to hold for a second while I swap and hang up the other call. The icon says "Hang up all" and it does just that. So, you nuke both calls and someone has to call back often both causing more confusion and possibly duplicating the smae scenario.

Verizon was surprised and Palm tech had to check and reported it is known. One Verizon girl said her 650 was that way and it was intentional (like a Microsoft "feature") which was total BS. I have a 650 that I have logged over 85,000 minutes on and you could swap all you wanted and selectively drop either call.

I guess the good news is, there apparently is an update coming fairly soon. The tech was careful to add he didn't know exactly when, but he thought soon. In the meantime, I will be burning airtime when I swap unless the call disconnects or the party hangs up. Ver 1.0 blues...
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Sprint CDMA users may correct me, but I believe this is a "feature" of CDMA phones. I came over to Verizon from T-Mobile on the 650 which had the ability to hang-up calls individually. The Verizon icon says "Hang Up All", I'm pretty sure this is on purpose, and there is likely no update "coming soon".
    Quote Originally Posted by westjohnson
    Sprint CDMA users may correct me, but I believe this is a "feature" of CDMA phones. I came over to Verizon from T-Mobile on the 650 which had the ability to hang-up calls individually. The Verizon icon says "Hang Up All", I'm pretty sure this is on purpose, and there is likely no update "coming soon".
    Hang up all was the only choice with the Verizon 600. I don't know about the 650, but I agree, I don't think they will be fixing this.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    why would this be on purpose specifically for CDMA?
    I believe it's a CDMA thing. Like when you're talking to two different callers (one is on hold/call waiting) and you want to hang up on just one of them. You can't do it from the phone. You need to have the other person hang up on their end.
    Folks,

This has been going on since the 600 -- it has to do with the way CDMA works. There is no better way that Palm can implement this because the CDMA handsets can only switch calls by sending a "send" or "end" to the network -- this provides backward compatibility with analog cell networks.

GSM, on the other hand, allows better signalling between the handset and network and has provisions to conference up to 4 (or more) callers and manage the calls individually.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    It is really troubling that this sounds like a situation that is not going to change. I make 90-130 calls/day and end up with a lot of swapping. I'm wondering if I have made a mistake with going to a CDMA phone. It would seem I will have a lot of calls just hanging out there, especially voicemails as I have to take a client call when they come in.

Quote Originally Posted by nptski
    It is really troubling that this sounds like a situation that is not going to change. I make 90-130 calls/day and end up with a lot of swapping. I'm wondering if I have made a mistake with going to a CDMA phone. It would seem I will have a lot of calls just hanging out there, especially voicemails as I have to take a client call when they come in.
    It is not as bad as you think because in nearly all cases the call is dropped, the Treo just doesn't know it or display it properly. Depending on the switching equipment you will hear three short dial tones that let you know the other call is disconnected.

In addition using CDMA/Treo...

1) If you hit hang up all on a conference, it shuts everyone down.
    2) If you hit hang up when you have someone on hold (because someone else called you via call waiting) the network will call your phone back and you can answer to talk the party on hold or hit ignore to kill the second call.

The GSM interface is certainly better, but you can do 99% of what you want fine.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    West, Glenn, et al are 100% right. It's a CDMA limitation. It wasn't done "on purpose;" it's just that CDMA design was rather shortsighted re: multi-line calls.

There is a workaround - Glenn's #2 above - that I wanted to emphasize so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. If you have 1 call active and a 2nd on hold, you usually hit a point where you want to drop call 1 and switch over to call 2. If you hit "hang up all," "end," or whatever, it initially looks like you hung up on everybody. But then you'll receive a "No Caller ID" call a few seconds later. Answer, and you'll find it's call 2. Since they were already on hold, they won't notice the few extra seconds.
    Alternatively, you can do the same thing except just answer call 2 without hanging up on call 1. It will look like call 1 is on hold the whole time you talk to call 2, but obviously they've actually hung up as long as you gave them some indication that the call was over.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thx for the good info, Tech support (both VZW & Palm) have no clue. I understand the workaround, the only exception would be when leaving a voicemail and you get a call, especially when someone couldn't get to a call and called you back. When you take the call, you are then leaving a "dead air" message as long as your call lasts, no way to end the message. That said, it seems some VM does eventually detect a dead air message and will drop the call but not all do. It could burn airtime.

In the rare instance where you had a long call and picked up multiple calls, would the Treo max out and send to VM or worse, busy? Wondering if I should revert to T-Mobile, I am inside my 14 days.
    thx, Jeff

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    A Palm tech told me it would be fixed "soon" in an update. After taking in the feedback, I agree, there is no update coming for this, the tech was just blowing me off. With some new change in international direction toward huge expansion of GSM in China, Indiad, and South America, CDMA may end up loney technology.

700p and some 650s have a "flash" mode where if you hit the Green button it's equiv to hitting "Talk" on a regular cell phone. If you hit it and u hear a dial tone then you know the other call was dropped. Hitting it again will give u a fast busy signal, and hitting it again will take u back to ur original call.

If you're between two different calls it's the same as hitting "Swap" on the Treo.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!