Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Stupid OCD question #2:

The working display (not a dummy) at one of my local Sprint stores has an animated Treo demo loaded onto it. I thought it would be cool to have, if for no other reason than to show off my new device. The icon was cool too. I was able to beam the icon file to my device (naughty, naughty) but the data file, which I think is a Kinoma file, is HUGE, and I wasn't able to get that one before my connection was lost. Unfortunately, the SD card slot was covered by the mechanism that was holding it in place, so I couldn't just transfer the file that way.

So, now that I'm completely obsessed with getting this utterly useless file, does anyone know where I can get a copy?
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    Lmao!!!
    Wow...I'm glad I'm not on that mission...lol Although I will say, I get pretty obsessive about stuff like that too. Oh great, now I'm gonna have to check out the little demo...
    If you ask one of the people at the store, I'm sure they would help you getting it to your phone.
    Bluetooth! Much faster.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    pro5 - you'd think that would be true, but when I asked if they would be willing to take the phone out of the bracket for about 30 seconds so that I could insert my SD card and copy the demo, three different guys told me that they weren't allowed to do that - "it's against company policy" they said, as if there were actually a policy that says, "if a friendly, obsessive compulsive customer shows interest in one of our $650 dollar cell phones, and he requests a copy of the useless animated demo for his own overpriced cell phone, you must refuse, as it is expressly forbidden. If he persists and asks why, just say, 'dude, I just work here'."

They suggested I contact palm which is a ridiculous idea - I mean it's hard enough to get useful information from Palm about something important; imagine how hard it would be to get useful information about something as unimportant as this. (Actually, that just might work - I mean, technically, that would make what I'm looking for "useless information" and, as we all know, it's easy to get useless information from Palm...)

amtatar: I thought about that. I downloaded a copy of "Bluetooth Commander" and went back to the store. I was able to pair my treo with the one in the store, but Bluetooth commander kept coming up with errors. Since I had beamed Resco Explorer to the device the other day in order to search for the elusive file, I simply tried to transfer the file to my device from within Resco Explorer - and it seemed to be working - but then after several minutes, I got a "file could not be sent" message. After two attempts I tried zipping the file in Explorer and sending it that way, but after several minutes I got the same message.

The file is called Treo700pos.kmrg and, unzipped its something like 14 MB, so I have no idea how long that would take via Bluetooth. I have around 23 MB free in RAM, so I would think I have enough room, but after several minutes the transfer fails and my Treo resets (it could be the other way around).

Anyone have any idea a) how else I can get this stupid file and b) why the transfer keeps failing (file too big for BT? Not enough free RAM on my device?)
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Why not just record a video of the video using your 700p?
    Now I gotta go to the store to see this demo lol. I dont remember seeing it at all.
    I guess I have OCD too because I had the file sent to my Treo via BT connection with one of the phones. But I couldn't get it to work (i wasn't familiar with kinoma at the time) so I deleted it a while back. I will search my laptop to see if I have a copy I will post it here if I am able to locate it.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    "it's against company policy" they said, as if there were actually a policy that says, "if a friendly, obsessive compulsive customer shows interest in one of our $650 dollar cell phones, and he requests a copy of the useless animated demo for his own overpriced cell phone, you must refuse, as it is expressly forbidden. If he persists and asks why, just say, 'dude, I just work here'."
    I'd assume that policy is something a bit simpler, like "Don't remove anti-theft cradles from expensive phones." Seems reasonable to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    Since I had beamed Resco Explorer to the device the other day in order to search for the elusive file, I simply tried to transfer the file to my device from within Resco Explorer - and it seemed to be working - but then after several minutes, I got a "file could not be sent" message.
    Can the file be seen from the native Send app? (Apps launcher, hit menu key, 'Send...') Might be less error prone. Just to be safe, might clear memory on your 700p by sending some stuff to your SD card temporarily. See if you can get over twice the size of the movie free.

If you can find a reliable app for uploading via the internet, you could do that. Would be slow but effective. All FTP programs I've tried are buggy, though, and e-mails usually have size caps...

The most effective (and awkward) solution, when all else fails, is to bring in a laptop and sync cable, unless the anti-theft cradle covers the sync port too. If you have a laptop with bluetooth, you can leave it on in a carrying bag and Bluetooth the file to it - might be less prone to errors when the receiving end is not a Palm.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    I'd assume that policy is something a bit simpler, like "Don't remove anti-theft cradles from expensive phones." Seems reasonable to me.....
    Yeah, I'm sure your right. I was just being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    Can the file be seen from the native Send app? (Apps launcher, hit menu key, 'Send...') Might be less error prone. Just to be safe, might clear memory on your 700p by sending some stuff to your SD card temporarily. See if you can get over twice the size of the movie free.
    Not sure if it's visible via the native "Send" app, but I could check. I thought of removing more stuff from RAM to my SD card, as you suggested but ran out of time. If I can't get the file elsewhere, I may do that and try again...

Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I guess I have OCD too because I had the file sent to my Treo via BT connection with one of the phones. But I couldn't get it to work (i wasn't familiar with kinoma at the time) so I deleted it a while back. I will search my laptop to see if I have a copy I will post it here if I am able to locate it.
    That would be great. Actually there are at least two files - one is the one that appears in the launcher with the "Treo" logo (I got that one pretty quickly) and the other is the mega-big one that I couldn't get. I think you also have to have Kinoma 3.0 installed on your device to make it work - I saw that on the demo device, too.
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Re: BT transfer time, I transfered a 7.6MB mp3 via FileZ from my 650 to a RAZR and then to a Q the other day, and it took 4 or 5 minutes each time, so you're probably looking at roughly double that. Good luck!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great info. That's part of the problem. It was really nerve racking to pretend to be "checking out" the Treo for half an hour while basically doing nothing except waiting for the thing to transfer. It's going to look really strange if I go back and do it again a third time...
    reubkov
    just get over it
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    just get over it
    MFizzel is obviously unfamiliar with OCD.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    You're going to beam yourself a useless 14MB video file? Good luck! That's almost mission impossible!

By the way, it's worthwhile to check out different Sprint stores to see what cool games/apps they have on their Treos. I've beamed myself many free games this way! In return, I beam useful apps back to the store Treos. The last time I did this, the store manager was grateful for the cool games I had on my own Treo that I beamed to their store Treo.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Ow,,, this sounds fun!!! Who can harvest and post the file first. If I get it I'll stick it on 4shared.com. I'm gunna check it out today
    wanna see OCD try the ludustech subforum you have a bunch of people (including myself) that want ti make the 700p just like the 650. I have gotten used to the 700 button layout but I use ludus tech to make the phone button all in one button where I can press it once to go to the phone app dial a number press it again and initiate the call.
    Treoing & Loving it