Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Okay, I know I'm going to take a lot of crap for this one but after ordering every protective case imaginable, I sat down with my keys sticking up out of my pocket and the key went right into the hole in the bottom of my side pouch case and scratched the back of my brand new 700p - not on the battery cover - no, that would have been too easy to replace. It had to be on the back near the camera.

So here's my question - can that piece be replaced? I'm not sure how it attaches from the inside or how it connects to the top/front body piece, but I have a defective unit I'm returning to Sprint, so I figured if there's a way to swap that one piece - or even the front, too, if it's connected, it might be worth a try.

Okay, now you can give it to me.
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    There are pretty much 3 plastic pieces that are held together by 7 screws. The back piece is removable if you unscrew the 7 screws.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Thanks. Do you know what kind - and size - of tool I need to unscrew the pieces?
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Torx T5 bit I believe.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Cool. Is that something I can get at Home Depot? Any other suggestions if they don't have one?
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    Cool. Is that something I can get at Home Depot? Any other suggestions if they don't have one?
    Sears has them.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    unscrewing that will void the warranty if the little indicator tag on the upper screw near the antenna is damaged. If your unit is bad, ask sprint to replace the back as well. they will do it NC if you have insurance, or for about $50 without.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Hmm. That's a good point. Don't want to void the warrantee. Will Sprint really just replace the back if nothing else is wrong with the unit? Used to be if you wanted your palm repaired though palm, inc., they would just send you a refurbished unit to replace the damaged/defective one.

BTW - how do you know if you are damaging the little indicator tag? What does it look like? Is this a hidden thing that automatically gets altered when the unit is opened?
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Okay - I bought a Torx T5 bit at Sears and itís the correct size. Now, a) how do I remove the small rubber plug on the back that is covering the top screw without damaging it, and b) how do I do so - and remove the screw - without altering the warrantee seal?

Oh - what's behind the larger rubber plug?

Much thanks,

reubkov
    reubkov
    Gte one of these....a lot easier and cheaper....and it makes it real hard to drop ya Treo or have it go sliding of something. I can even corner in the Porsche w/o it sliding across the dash
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Okay - I bought a Torx T5 bit at Sears and itís the correct size. Now, a) how do I remove the small rubber plug on the back that is covering the top screw without damaging it, and b) how do I do so - and remove the screw - without altering the warrantee seal?

Oh - what's behind the larger rubber plug?

Much thanks,

reubkov
    Use a sharp knife to pop out the rubber stopper. There is a connector for an external antenna under the other rubber stopper. Then use a knife to gently pull up the warantee seal.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I can't answer your question, and others already have, (although I feel your pain.. it's like getting your first door ding on a new car..) .. but I just wanted to say that you have, by far, the best signature avatar I have ever seen in these forums. I'm a lifelong collector of Disneyland ephemera and I probably have a two inch thick stack of partially used ticket books in my collection, along with, I think, two full ones. Thanks for putting a smile on this face.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    ...I just wanted to say that you have, by far, the best signature avatar I have ever seen in these forums. I'm a lifelong collector of Disneyland ephemera and I probably have a two inch thick stack of partially used ticket books in my collection, along with, I think, two full ones. Thanks for putting a smile on this face.

Harv
    I'm stoked that you like it. I just came up with it for this website and wasn't sure how it would be received. I don't have any of the old tickets, but having grown up going to Disneyland, I didn't realize unil I had a child of my own and revisiting the "Magic Kingdom" just how much it's changed. I mostly miss the Sky Tram, Monsanto, the Submarine, and, of course, the tickets. Please feel free to email me directly to discuss further - I have a really cool DVD that consists of a virtual, digitized journey through the old Monsanto ride that you might like to see...

Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    Use a sharp knife to pop out the rubber stopper. There is a connector for an external antenna under the other rubber stopper. Then use a knife to gently pull up the warantee seal.
    Thanks - I got the plug out, and I started to lift the seal, but it appears to be made of thin paper - I guess it's a paper sticker - and it started to tear. Any specific techniques to remove - and then replace - the warrantee sticker?
    reubkov
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

Thanks - I got the plug out, and I started to lift the seal, but it appears to be made of thin paper - I guess it's a paper sticker - and it started to tear. Any specific techniques to remove - and then replace - the warrantee sticker?
    These kinds of stickers are made to be tamper-proof, tamper-evident, and self-destroy if you try to remove them. You can probably kiss your warranty goodbye if your Treo ever needs warranty service and they see you've removed any of the seals. They'll tell you your warraty is void because you modified the phone, even if you didn't, if that seal is broken or missing. That's why they're made of such fragile stuff.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    maybe try a little steam? or possible super chilling it? from one of those cans of compressed air?
    Where are we?? And why am I in this handbasket?!?!?!?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I removed the sticker with an small knife. I just slowly picked it up. The sticker did not tear and I was able to put it back. I recently returned my Treo 700p and Palm did not give me any problems during the return.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yes. If you have the insurance coverage the will cover damage from drops etc... They took the unit for about an hour and replaced it with a faceplate they had in stock. For $3 per month its worth it and you don't have to fiddle with the unit. Also, disassembling the Treo is not the easy. Well putting it back together is what's not that easy.

Paul
    Isn't the insurance $6/mo from Sprint?
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....