Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    humor me please....whats *2 update anyway?

Verizon 700p
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    *2 is the sprint number for assistance. Over the Air updates are normally done by calling that number.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Coming from Verizon where I could just dial *228 and choose something like option 2 to update my PRL I must say that the Sprint method of getting this updated is a royal pain in the ****. My call log has about 3-4 pages of logs of me calling *2 trying to talk to people to flag my accounts for updating the PRL. I got varied responses like:

Say "PRL" when Claire asks you what you want
    Say "PRL Update" when Claire asks you what you want
    Dial *2 and wait at least 15 seconds
    Your PRL is already updated
    <click> (They hung up on me)
    *dumb sounding look* Transfer to another group.
    You should have the PRL update, call back at *2 for it (Nope didn't work)

Finally I got someone who flagged me properly and received 20222 but man was it a ROYAL pain. Is the updating thru *2 supposed to be automatic, ie: say "PRL Update" and it checks and flags you if there is a new PRL available? 'cause that didn't seem to work...Sometimes Claire would say something like "Oh, you want an update for your phone? Hold on while I transfer you" (Which transferred me to a department that was closed) Other times it'd transfer me to a representative without saying "Oh you want to update your phone?".

bah! I want nice simple *228 back
    I updated - and my prl is still 20221 - in Houston
    Quote Originally Posted by irabren
    I updated - and my prl is still 20221 - in Houston
    Call *2 again and it should update.
    Had the same thing happen this morning. First time it said it was updating - but it didn't. Second time actually saw the update happening on the screen.
    Thanks for telling me - I guess you have to call twice to get it.
    It took 4 times for mine to take. It does not take until you see the "Updating" popup during your call.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Someone should delete this thread. There is no massive update for the Treo via *2 I called Sprint and it's only needed in certain markets. This was a secondary question I asked. I think everyone is nuts calling and asking for it. If it's available it will happen normally like always. :-)
    but for those of us in areas with a strong Alltel signal it will help. Alltel is now preferred over Verizon. When data roaming works it will be a big deal
    Quote Originally Posted by mopcodes
    Someone should delete this thread. There is no massive update for the Treo via *2 I called Sprint and it's only needed in certain markets. This was a secondary question I asked. I think everyone is nuts calling and asking for it. If it's available it will happen normally like always. :-)
    I don't know about your connection with Sprint, but I've been with them for many years and *never* got a PRL update pushed to me without my first requesting it. I used to be several numbers behind. Sprint isn't proactive with this stuff.

They *ALWAYS* say it's for "certain markets" only - but I personally want my phone to work as well as it can wherever I go without needing to try updating it on the fly only if I'm visiting those "certain markets." Now with EVDO in the picture, I certainly expect my visited areas will often be within those "certain markets" as they roll it out. Why carry an underperforming $670.00 phone (w/tax) if you have options?

Seems to me that it would make more sense to automate the process better, at least give us a "*" code to que it up. It's backwards to have to waste the time of representatives (and your own) lining up something that is so obviously helpful and technologically feasable to automate.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mopcodes
    There is no massive update for the Treo via *2 I called Sprint and it's only needed in certain markets. This was a secondary question I asked. I think everyone is nuts calling and asking for it. If it's available it will happen normally like always. :-)
    In six years with Sprint I've never gotten an automatic PRL update. I always have to request it.

As for why a PRL update is important, even moreso with EVDO, check out this post in the other 700p PRL thread.

That all being said... after people started reporting the updates were working yesterday I called *2 and had the CSR flag my account. Repeated calls back did not update. I sent an e-mail to ecare and when I got the reply back I called and the update ran. So chalk up another one for the Houston area.

ERic
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Worked in Columbus, MS
    Ok .. Just updated my PRL ... question. I wouldn't have known about this (not that it would have affected my lifestyle) if not for reading this forum. Would Sprint have eventually told me about this or at some point in time it would have been done automatically?
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn
    Ok .. Just updated my PRL ... question. I wouldn't have known about this (not that it would have affected my lifestyle) if not for reading this forum. Would Sprint have eventually told me about this or at some point in time it would have been done automatically?
    I doubt it unless you brought you phone in for repair - then they might have updated it. I had never been notified and neither has anyone in my family.
    With the Treo 600 and 650 in certain Sprint markets, anytime you would dial *2 if they're was an updted prl available, it would do it without you calling and asking for your phone to be flagged. That was not the case in my market.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I doubt it unless you brought you phone in for repair - then they might have updated it. I had never been notified and neither has anyone in my family.
    With the Treo 600 and 650 in certain Sprint markets, anytime you would dial *2 if they're was an updted prl available, it would do it without you calling and asking for your phone to be flagged. That was not the case in my market.
    Good Luck
    Hmmmmm ..... you'd think it would be done automatically (in any market area) as a professional service. Oh well

Go Tigers ..... (beat dem Gators)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123