1.    #1  
    I'm currently travelling in Tokyo with my Unlocked Cingular Treo 650. I've had no problems using my Cingular SIM and local service when travelling to Europe and South America. However, I'm getting NO signal here. Just a "No Service - SOS only" message. I assumed that Japan was using primarily GSM, but am I wrong?
    they do but I'm I am correct they use a different frequency band, hence why we cannot buy the latest and greatest from there and ship it back here.

I will probably stand to be corrected but that was my huntch.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    I'm currently travelling in Tokyo with my Unlocked Cingular Treo 650. I've had no problems using my Cingular SIM and local service when travelling to Europe and South America. However, I'm getting NO signal here. Just a "No Service - SOS only" message. I assumed that Japan was using primarily GSM, but am I wrong?
    ok. no service in Japan. I am vacationing her ein Beijing, China for the month and I was wondering if GSM works here or not. I currently have a sprint 700p which uses cdma of course. i was thinking of getting one the new cingular treos that is supposed to come out in october with an eye to using it in asia. anyone know for sure if unlocked gsm treos won't work in asia work?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    GSM Treos work fine in China. At least my user in Shanghai has no problem. She uses China Mobile. Be sure to specify with them if you want data service. Search for China in the GSM forum for more info.

BTW, Japan is WCDMA.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Quote Originally Posted by blocktek
    Your Cingular SIM will work in countries where CNG has roaming agreements with the carriers. Most find this option too expensive and just buy prepaid SIM cards when they arrive in Europe. I would think that you would have to buy a prepaid or billable SIM that allows the GSM towers there in Japan to recognize you.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Japan$ $is$ $on$ $3G$ $networks$, $which$ $the$ $Treo$ $650$ $does$ $not$ $support$, $thus$ $no$ $signals$.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml

This site lists who has roaming agreements in japan and whonthe carriers are
    Quote Originally Posted by cahsdad
    GSM Treos work fine in China. At least my user in Shanghai has no problem. She uses China Mobile. Be sure to specify with them if you want data service. Search for China in the GSM forum for more info.

BTW, Japan is WCDMA.
    Thanks! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I will look into that. Yeah, I really do want data. Carrying my laptop around Beijing has been a real pain. It would have been so much easier to just use my treo. Now I have a real reason to switch from Sprint to an unlocked Cingular treo (sorry for bringing the topic away from Japan!)
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Guys, there's NO GSM network in Japan and Korea. But in Korea you can still use your GSM SIM card with their 3G mobile phones which you can rent in airport so your original number is still valid roaming.
    But in Japan ? NO luck.
    in Korea you can still use your GSM SIM card with their 3G mobile phones which you can rent in airport so your original number is still valid roaming.
    But in Japan ? NO luck.
    NOT true. I go to Japan every 90 days or so and always, I rent a phone at the Vodaphone counter in Narita Airport which allows me to plug in my GSM SIM card and receive calls on my normal number. (Of course the phone itself is not a normal GSM phone, it's one that works with the system in Japan). It costs JPY 845 per day plus around 400 more for insurance to rent this type of phone (with a replacement price of around $700.00, the insurance is worth it). Roaming is around 90 cents per minute. Only downside is the 2AM calls from people in the USA who don''t know I'm in Japan Models have been Nokia 6650's and 6680's. Usually the 6680's are the ones I seem to get, you can't specify in advance.

It's a Nokia phone so a one-armed monkey could figure out how to use the thing...
    Last edited by Zangetsu; 07/17/2006 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Added pricing