Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just recently purchased my Treo 650 and after serching the forums I am worried about installing any third party applications. I need my phone for business and would like it to be stable and dependable. I never bought this phone with the intention of loading it down with third party applicationns so if I add any applications it will be very limited. I have read the 6 essenital apps thread, but I am not sure I understand them all so if anyone has any advice on what they feel to be neccessary applications for a new Treo owner please let me know their recommendations. Please remember I need this phone to be stable and dependable.

If it helps I am looking to add applications like documents to go, FileZ (not sure everything it does), Butler, Uninstall Manager, Flight Status, Directory Assistant, Backup Man, and a few games so please let me know your thoughts on these applications. I am not technologically advanced in anyway so please go easy on me. Thanks!
    Last edited by NeedsHelp; 07/04/2006 at 01:52 PM.
    I would suggest NVBackup for a nightly backup and a tool to force a nightly softreset. I will not mention the tool which does it for me and also cares for the phone in the morning...
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHelp
    If it helps I am looking to add applications like documents to go, FileZ (not sure everything it does), Butler, Uninstall Manager, Flight Status, Directory Assistant, Backup Man, and a few games so please let me know your thoughts on these applications. I am not technologically advanced in anyway so please go easy on me. Thanks!
    Congrats on your Treo. It looks like you've done some reading and made some thoghtful choices. The apps you mention are pretty popular and useful, as well. I use/d all those but UM, but I've heard good things about it. IMO, those apps shouldn't really give you any stability problems. I stopped using Butler a few weeks ago as it was killing my Prefs, but it may have been conflicting with some other app I had and I just couldn't isolate the problem. Others have had great success with Butler and I loved it until the Prefs thing (which, again, may not have been Butler's fault).
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  4.    #4  
    Why would I need a tool to force a nightly soft reset? I thought resets were for when you have problems. I am new to PDAs and my knowledge is limited so if you don't mind can you please explain in more detail.
    There are a couple of programs that force a nightly resoft on a set schedule. The one I was using is LookAtMe; however, I no longer use it because twice during the reset, the saved preferences were lost. There are bunches of programs that turn on/off the phone, et cetera.

When you look, you should consider a program that does multiple things instead of one program for each function. Using programs that perform specific functions leads to lots of programs, not necessarily a good thing and then there is the support problem that may come along.

Anyway, I would recommend you looking at a launcher, they do save memory and memory one thing we never have enough of. I use ZLauncher and it has does have a file management utility built in, though it is not as powerful as FileZ. I use both.

Uninstall Manager - yep.

Flight Status, Directory Assistant - yep. Directory Assistant on my device wants to have BLZ5 listed for the browser instead of Blazer in the popup.

BackupMan - yep. I also use BackupBuddy for going to the desktop - it backs up both the device and the SD card. There are a number of good programs that perform this function.

Butler - tried it and did not have a real need for it.

Preference Doctor - saves those preferences when the Treo 650 resets.

Rosco Locker - I use it to lock one application in memory - HanDBase.

CallFilter - cannot get it to work reliably on my Sprint Treo 650.

Do you need a better mail program than Versamail? If so, there is ChatterEmail and Snappermail. I have both and use Chatter exclusively.

The list is huge and there are plenty of threads discussing the above and more applications.

Ben
    Last edited by bclinger; 07/04/2006 at 03:08 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    Congrats on your Treo. It looks like you've done some reading and made some thoghtful choices. The apps you mention are pretty popular and useful, as well. I use/d all those but UM, but I've heard good things about it. IMO, those apps shouldn't really give you any stability problems. I stopped using Butler a few weeks ago as it was killing my Prefs, but it may have been conflicting with some other app I had and I just couldn't isolate the problem. Others have had great success with Butler and I loved it until the Prefs thing (which, again, may not have been Butler's fault).
    Thanks for the response! What kind of problems were you having with Butler your prefs? Will installing games cause any stability problems?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    There are a couple of programs that force a nightly resoft on a set schedule. The one I was using is LookAtMe; however, I no longer use it because twice during the reset, the saved preferences were lost. There are bunches of programs that turn on/off the phone, et cetera.

When you look, you should consider a program that does multiple things instead of one program for each function. Using programs that perform specific functions leads to lots of programs, not necessarily a good thing and then there is the support problem that may come along.

Anyway, I would recommend you looking at a launcher, they do save memory and memory one thing we never have enough of. I use ZLauncher and it has does have a file management utility built in, though it is not as powerful as FileZ. I use both.

Uninstall Manager - yep.

Flight Status, Directory Assistant - yep. Directory Assistant on my device wants to have BLZ5 listed for the browser instead of Blazer in the popup.

BackupMan - yep. I also use BackupBuddy for going to the desktop - it backs up both the device and the SD card. There are a number of good programs that perform this function.

Butler - tried it and did not have a real need for it.

CallFilter - cannot get it to work reliably on my Sprint Treo 650.

Do you need a better mail program than Versamail? If so, there is ChatterEmail and Snappermail. I have both and use Chatter exclusively.

The list is huge and there are plenty of threads discussing the above and more applications.

Ben
    Thanks Ben! Can you please explain Zlauncher in more detail for me. What does it replace? With DA and Flight Status what is the difference in BLZ5 and Blazer? Will any of the programs I mentioned need to be reset or cause any nightly resets? Thanks again to everyone for their help!
    Yes please explain zlauncher to me as well....I am considering it but am confused about all the things on it....went to zztechs site and read it all but am still a bit overwhelmed...also why should you do a nightly soft reset...I also thought resets were for when you had serious problems.

Thanks
    Thanks for the response! What kind of problems were you having with Butler your prefs?
    I was having a problem where Butler would cause a reset and I'd lose all my saved preferences. So basically my Treo was like I'd just installed a bunch of apps without registering/customizing them. Alarms were gone, my personal setups were gone, etc.
    Will installing games cause any stability problems?
    As far as games, I'm far from an expert. The only one is use is SolFree, a free solitaire game which has never given me any problems. Maybe someone else can jump in?
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Yes please explain zlauncher to me as well....I am considering it but am confused about all the things on it....went to zztechs site and read it all but am still a bit overwhelmed...also why should you do a nightly soft reset...I also thought resets were for when you had serious problems.

Thanks
    ZL's what's called a launcher app, which is basically used to replace the standard Palm launcher (the white screen with icons for all your apps). I originally put it on my 650 for the ability to customize the look with colors/info buttons and to organize the apps into "tabs", so that I'd only have certain groups of apps on the screen at a time (i.e. works apps together, fun apps together, etc.). Once I installed it, I discovered it came with a great file manager, so I deleted FileZ and never saw the need to purchase an uninstaller. I have heard that FileZ has been updated recently, though. ZL also gives the option to assign shortcuts so you can quickly launch the apps you want from wherever you might be in your Treo (I admit I don't use this function to its fullest extent).
    ZLauncher is the heavy weight of lauchers. The strength of a good launcher is that it facilitates the starting of applications from the SD card and provides you with basic file management capabilities.

Most launchers do allow you to move an application and its related files to the SD card for storage and when launching the application, moves the application and its related files to main memory, launches the application and upon termination of the application moves the application an dits related files back to the SD card.

ZLauncher takes it a bit further. ZLauncher allows you to move unrelated files into the application's launcher folder on the SD card, copies all of the files into main memory, launches the file, and upon termination moves everything back to the SD card. This comes in very handy when running programs that require JAVA in order to run. In my situation, I setup the JAVA application and KMaps in main memory and then MOVED the KMaps application to the ZLauncher applications folder on the SD card. After the move was done and the short cut created by ZLauncher, I then MOVED all of the JAVA files to the KMaps application folder on the SD card. Note, JAVA must be in main memory in order for an application that uses it to run. Anyway, moving JAVA to the SD card frees up a substantial amount of memory. When launching KMaps, ZLauncher moves KMaps & JAVA to main memory, KMaps then runs, and upon termination, ZLauncher moves KMaps and JAVA back to the ZLauncher applications folder for KMaps - saving lots of memory.

The draw back though with this is with really large applications, time moving to the device can be rather extensive when compared to having it reside in main memory.

Wtih ZLauncher, everything that does not run automagically or respond to alarms or run in the background (same as automagically running) is on the SD card in a ZLauncher application folder. This maintains maximum free memory. This also means though that load time for some applcations, such as eReader, HanDBase, et cetera, takes a bit of time, as those applications require other files in order to run.

Prior to using ZLauncher, I had about 7mb of free memory at the most. At this time though, I have between 10-12 mb and right now, I have 11.0mb of free memory. That is a substantial difference.

There are other launchers that work well on the 650 and have smaller memory requirements and do not do as much. Your needs can easily be met by the various launchers there. If you want maximum memory and versatility, then ZLauncher is the one.

As for soft resets, the file system of the 650 has stability issues. Big time stability issues if you use programs that are not written to support it or programs that have some heavy duty memory requirements. In my situation, HanDBase was the problem. I use it every work day for hours on end and on the 600, it runs like a champ. For most 650 users, it runs like a champ. For me though, due to the complexity of the applets and the amount of data being captured, it has stability problems. Please note that I say for most 650 users - my use is not typical. HanDBase is the database application of choice.

A soft reset clears memory, especially the DB cache memory. For most users, a soft reset once in a while clears out memory, increases execution speed, and so forth. The problem though with a soft reset or any kind of reset with the 650 is that it may result in the loss of "saved preferences." When that happens, the pits often follow. Those pits include loss of registration codes, default settings, et cetera. Really pits and that is the problem with doing a soft reset in an unattended mode. Most of the time not a problem, but when it does occur, it can be most inconvenient.

Preference Doctor takes care of this most of the time, as it has specifically addresses the loss of saved preferences. Note I say most of the time, cause it does not always take care of the problem and I have had that happen more than one time. I manually perform soft resets now and use the program LookAtMe to do other things once in a while.

Directory Assistant allows you to specify yoru browser from a drop-down list. When I select Blazer, it does not open up Blazer. It does have a place to put in the program ID and by putting in BLZ5, Blazer opens up for the map. It is just one of those things.

None of the applications above require a nightly reset, though they will benefit from them once in a while. If dependability is a requirement, then perform the reset yourself - that way you can take care of that once in a while problem.

In my opinion, the two required programs are those that do a backup to the SD card (that more so than to your computer) and Preference Doctor.
    Well, my GSM Treo 650 is gone through many, many softresets (mostly as a result of a low memory condition during developing of some well-known 3D games) and I've never lost my preferences. But YMMV. I think a backup program like NVBackup (which is free) will be a save thing and can help you to restore the nesseccary files.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Then with all of those many resets, you are lucky not to have lost your preferences. Week one I started loosing preferences. Prior to Preference Doctor, I normally did a hard reset and restore, that though caused problems with not always starting back with the latest or newer data. In addition, the normal user does not know what files have to be restored in order to regain normal operation.
    Ben
    bclinger,

OUTSTANDING POST!!! Thank you SOOOO much!
    I found myself rambling with even more to type, but rambling I was. Any specific questions or concerns?

Another thing - the Bluetooth implimentation used by the 650 is not the best, but it does work. I purchased a Bluetooth adapter for my laptop and since then, I have done all of my hotsyncs using Bluetooth. It is a bit slower, but it keeps me from having to worry about the cable problems other users

Ben

Ben
    Actually Yes!

I am thinking about the zlauncher....pretty sold on it so far especially since I can customize my screen with wallpapers and such!

As far as backup utilities.....recommendations? I have a 1 gb SD card from PNY I picked up from Best Buy the other day so I will run things off of that.

Something that could do custom phone rings and alerts...perhaps play a portion of an MP3 or something.

Something that could also associate a picture when a call comes in....not sure if treo does this already as I dont have it in hand.

Would like to keep the software purchases below $100 total.

Thanks!

Stability and being able to not lose data is my primary concern.
    As far as backup utilities.....recommendations? I have a 1 gb SD card from PNY I picked up from Best Buy the other day so I will run things off of that.
    Here's a thread from earlier today about some backup apps. Do a search here in the apps forum and you'll find more.
    Something that could do custom phone rings and alerts...perhaps play a portion of an MP3 or something.

Something that could also associate a picture when a call comes in....not sure if treo does this already as I dont have it in hand..
    The Treo can do picture ID by itself, but it's a thumbnail pic.

There are a bunch of ringtone apps, like Ringo, mRing and Lightwav Pro. I use Lightwav because it gives me ringtones and full-size caller ID pictures.
    $100 for the total? Gosh, I lost track a few years ago. As one's needs grow, so does the cost. A good backup program can be the free variety or the pay variety; they both do the same basic thing and that is to backup to an external location, be it a desktop computer or the SD card.

I use BackupManager to backup nightly to the SD card. It handles multiple backups and another goodie or two. I use BackupBuddy to backup to the laptop, as it supports backing up the SD card also (and there is BackupBuddy VFS which backs up to the card). There have been more than a few times I have been playing and had to restore from a backup copy away from the house, as a result, backing up to the SD card is as important if not more so than backing up to a laptop/desktop computer. There are other good backup programs that are worth reading about and that may be accomplished via the search tool here.

When a "new" need is identified, I hit the forums (here and mytreo.net), search/read the information provided, and test the applications suggested. I rarely consider cost to be a factor; instead, I look at functionality and performance. Does it do what it is suppose to and does it do it in a manner that works in my situation. The number of "bad" purchases are few if the homework is done, though it can happen.

Another thing to consider, do you really need the application. If I purchased every application I liked, there would not be room on the device to put them all. Instead, I look around, paying close attention to those applications that perform more than one function. I also make sure I do not duplicate enabled functions, which can lead to more head aches than you can count.

One last bit of advise, backup your device before installing a new application. Doing so has the capabiltiy of saving you time and effort in correcting a bad situation.

Ben
    Thanks Ben,

Yeah the $100 is the initial purchase...I spent way more than that populating my Clie when I got it but ..."taking it slow" this time....LOL!

Gotta run to work now so I will heed your advice and continue my research later today!

PS it gets here today and is in town according to FedEx!
  20.    #20  
    kdallen and bclinger thanks for the great responses! I still do have a few more questions though.

1.) First thing I will be doing is getting an SD card and a backup program. Will I need Zlauncher at the same time as the backup program, because I am transferring data to the SD card? I plan on on adding Zlauncher, but do I need it the moment I start transferring data to the SD card?

2.) The only programs I am interested in adding are a back up program (BackupBuddy NVS Professional), Zlauncher, Prefrence Doctor, Docs to go, Directory Assistant, Card Export 2 and FileZ. I may add Phone Technician and Flight Status, but have not yet decided for sure. Which of these applications belong in the main memory and which ones belong on the SD card? Will all games go on the SD card as well?

3.) If I am using Zlauncher is there any benefit to having FileZ also? The applications I have listed are the only ones I plan on using.

4.) bclinger while searching the forums I read a post of yours that was about preference doctor and getting used to the quirks of the program. What quirks were you speaking of?

6.) I installed Docs to Go on my computer last night and I am a little bit confused. Is documents to go a program for your computer that converts word and excel documents to your phone or is there a program that needs to be installed on your phone? After installing it to my CPU it looks like it just converts the files to a format that goes on my phone. Is this right or am I missing something?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am trying my best to limit the programs that I need, because as I have mentioned earlier stabilty is my main concern. If I have to sacrifice programs for stability I will. Thanks again for all of the help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast