Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Needs help...EXCELLENT QUESTIONS!!!! I am finding myself asking the very same things!!!

I am going to try the NVbackup utility first.
    One thing that you should check is whether the program needs to stay in main memory....if it doesn't then it's going to be hard to affect stability. Most 3rd party apps can sit on the SD card and the only time they get intoi main memory....and can therefore affect stability by conflicting with soemthing else .....is when they are launched.

Programs than need to be in main memory such as alarm programs, ringtone managers, push e-mail and things which counter standard OS functions will therefore have the greatest effect on stability.

FileZ - no problem. let it sit on SD card. Let's you look at copy / delete files

Butler - this one has been known to cause problems. There's various threads on the topic. Here's one,

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110167

A title search on Butler should bring up others.

Uninstall Manager - should be very first program you install. Monitors all subsequent installs so that when you uninstall a program, you don't just remove the prc file but all associated files. Must reside in main memory to work.

Flight Status - Same as FileZ in that it can sit on card and is too simple to cause any problems.

Directory Assistant - Same as Flight Status

Backup Manager - Suggess NVBackup

See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106786

I'd add PowerRUN - Lets you move programs to the SD card and still be able to categorize them on your launch screens. Zlauncher is a big step....many people love the program but I find it too be way too much....some people do report stability problems with ZL but I'd say less than 10%. PowerRUN performs the basic function of managing programs whuch you pout on teh SD card....nice and simple, does that and nothing else. ZL adds the ability to add skins, additional icon sets. Again, I just found the ZL interface too cluttered that it hampered me rather then speeded things up.

Games wise Astraware Sudoku is the best of the bunch IMO. Can be had for half price (Do title search to find link). EDGE is pretty cool as is BikeorDie.

Card Export is a good program, tho kinda useless if you have a PC card reader.

If you installed Docs2Go make sure you download the DataViz tech tool to move it to the card. DO NOT use ZL or PowerRUN to move Docs2Go.

Here's some others you may wanna peek at:

VoiceDial(ing) - From Voice Signal, this app is on the CD...Otherwise can be found on palm web site and is a 14 day free trail. My trial ended after 10 minutes and 3 calls. To me a Treo w/o VS's app is like a TV w/o a remote.
    Time Manager Pad - About the only Calendar replacement I can stand.
    TreoAlarm - Wakes me up, turns phone on and off, gets weather updates.
    PowerUp - Detects reset loops, powers up phone to specific app
    PalmPuke - Detects SD card eject, before you walk away and lose it.
    Metro - Guide to public transportation in major cities throughout world.
    Crash - Detects crashes and auto resets...Pro version adds logging
    STOIC - Stay on In Cradle (self explanatory)
    Thumbscan - My favorite "goof tool". Totally bogus thumb scanner....unless you hit the "secret button" first, TS will scan a thumprint and then tell you that the unwitting target of your goof FAILED to pass a security test and therefore is "wanted by the FBI", "can not board plane" , "gets no desert with dinner" or whatever byou want.
    TrackerDog - Program version tracker....let's you know if any oif your software is outta date

You'll aslo wanna grab eReader or an equivalent to read e-books

SharkLinks works well w/ Voice Dial to auto open web pages via voice....Say "Open Ferry Schedule" for example to load the web page that has teh schedule on it to see if you gonna make next one.
  3.    #23  
    JackNaylorPE thanks for the response! I will do some searching on PowerRUN, because it sounds like it is more stable and a little less complex for someone who is not very computer savy like myself. From your response I take it all of the applications I plan on adding should be added to the SD card, except for NVbackup and possibly phone technician if I add it? What about the soft resets that should be performed occasionally? How often should those be done? Thanks a lot for everyones time and input!
    [QUOTE=NeedsHelp]kdallen and bclinger thanks for the great responses! I still do have a few more questions though.

1.) First thing I will be doing is getting an SD card and a backup program. Will I need Zlauncher at the same time as the backup program, because I am transferring data to the SD card? I plan on on adding Zlauncher, but do I need it the moment I start transferring data to the SD card?

The answer to #1 - yes, you need a backup program that resides in main memory and on the SD card. The main memory requirement is so that the backup program will run at a scheduled time. The SD card requirement is so that you can restore the device after a hard reset.

ZLauncher or any launcher for that fact, is handy to start with. Gets you in the habit of keeping the main memory as free as possible.

2.) The only programs I am interested in adding are a back up program (BackupBuddy NVS Professional), Zlauncher, Prefrence Doctor, Docs to go, Directory Assistant, Card Export 2 and FileZ. I may add Phone Technician and Flight Status, but have not yet decided for sure. Which of these applications belong in the main memory and which ones belong on the SD card? Will all games go on the SD card as well?

BackupBuddy, ZLauncher, Preference Doctor all need to be in main memory. The remaining on the SD card.

3.) If I am using Zlauncher is there any benefit to having FileZ also? The applications I have listed are the only ones I plan on using.

The file management system used by ZLauncher is not as robust as FileZ. Through use, I found that there were times I deleted files only to find that they had not been successfully delete; hence, I kept FileZ. FileZ just works.

4.) bclinger while searching the forums I read a post of yours that was about preference doctor and getting used to the quirks of the program. What quirks were you speaking of?

There is no detailed documentation provided for Preference Doctor that covers how to handle each different type of preference loss. As a result, I found myself selecting a different option when the preferences were lost in order to determine which restoration option was the best. I now select the one that allows me to restore the previous saved preferences, I do not select the option to restore the just made saved preferences (I do not remember how it is termed). In addition, it took a bit of time to determine that in my situation, enabling each option (#1, #2, #3) was what my device needed. More detailed documentation would be very handy.

6.) I installed Docs to Go on my computer last night and I am a little bit confused. Is documents to go a program for your computer that converts word and excel documents to your phone or is there a program that needs to be installed on your phone? After installing it to my CPU it looks like it just converts the files to a format that goes on my phone. Is this right or am I missing something?

Never used it.

Ben
    [QUOTE=JackNaylorPE]
    VoiceDial(ing) - From Voice Signal, this app is on the CD...Otherwise can be found on palm web site and is a 14 day free trail. My trial ended after 10 minutes and 3 calls. To me a Treo w/o VS's app is like a TV w/o a remote.

Voice dialing works rather well in a quiet environment. No amount of training though will produce reliable results in a noisy environment and that includes your car in heavy traffic and the windows down, or a convertible, or a just plain noisy environment. There are times you will be a perfect match and other times with the same environment that you will get no match or even the wrong match. I participated in the Voice Dial betas and even though I registered the program, I no longer use it - not reliable enough. The same can be said for my Nextel/Motorola i605 Bluetooth phone. The phone is a high-end model with an excellent Bluetooth implimentation and in a loud environment, also has a problem with voice recognition. If you decide to try it, put it to the test in as many environements as you can.

If you have a bad cold or throat problem, good luck with voice dialing. In addition, voice security programs are also prone to problems and if it does not recognize your voice, then it just will not let you continue. Use voice applications with care.

As for a television without a remote - I do not have the slightest idea on how to use the remote to its fullest capability. I leave that to the kids.

PalmPuke - Detects SD card eject, before you walk away and lose it.

I had problems with reliability with this one (not the reset type); I use Cradle Care.

Crash - Detects crashes and auto resets...Pro version adds logging

The viability or rather the need for this utility is questionable. It does not force your device to start up again, that is now built in to the OS. This was a very necessary utility for the Treo 300 series. I dumped it from my 600 three days after I got it.

STOIC - Stay on In Cradle (self explanatory) ------ I would look at a program that does more than just this. Take a look at MobileClock, it is an alarm clock and has a setting to stay on in the cradle/charger. For weather I use 2Day by SHSH Software - it works with the date book application, monitors other programs such as email and voice mail, has plug ins for weather, RSS and bunches of other things. An excellent program.

TrackerDog - Program version tracker....let's you know if any oif your software is outta date

I have this program but have used it only one time. It has a problem reporting some programs with non-existent versions. It holds little if any value for me.

You'll aslo wanna grab eReader or an equivalent to read e-books

I use eReader and have it in a ZLauncher application folder. With that said, when launching, the eReader application and the ebooks are all moved from the application folder to main memory and if you have bunches of ebooks, that can take a few seconds. To me it is worth the time, as it saves me lots of memory.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHelp
    JackNaylorPE thanks for the response! I will do some searching on PowerRUN, because it sounds like it is more stable and a little less complex for someone who is not very computer savy like myself. From your response I take it all of the applications I plan on adding should be added to the SD card, except for NVbackup and possibly phone technician if I add it? What about the soft resets that should be performed occasionally? How often should those be done? Thanks a lot for everyones time and input!
    Yes, I'd sugegst try PowerRUN and when ya get two weeks in to the 30 day trial you can try ZL for the next 2 weeks, then at thee nd decide which oen you want.

Uness you doing schedulked backups, you can move backup programs to the SD card. I don't do scheduled and mine sits on the card. One key way to determine whether a programneeds to me in main memory and not in the card is "Do you expect it to do anything without you manually launching the app first ?" Alarms, ringtones, system managers etc all need to work without you starting them so they need to be in main memory.

For manual soft resets, I'd say Phone Technician and Butler are the only programs likely to benefit from this on your list. I found they didn't do anything I really needed so didn't play much with them. Uninstall Manager will let you do this from a menu w/o opening the battery cover. So will a little utility called mReset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Voice dialing works rather well in a quiet environment. No amount of training though will produce reliable results in a noisy environment and that includes your car in heavy traffic and the windows down, or a convertible, or a just plain noisy environment.
    There's VoiceDial and then there's everything else. Key difference between VoiceDial and other voice apps is that Voice Signal's product requires no training...tho you have an optional number training procedure you can go thru.....I have never done it. I haven't experienced the problems you describe. If I can hear the phone call, Voice Dial has no problem hearing me. Of course success can depend on the noise cancellation quality of your headset. I have had great success with the TWH. My only problem with VD is me....when I tell it to call Chris Schmoe and I have him typed into contacts as Cristopher W. Schmoe, P.E., it sometimes won't get it....say it as typed and 1st time accurace exceeds 98%.

If you have a bad cold or throat problem, good luck with voice dialing. In addition, voice security programs are also prone to problems and if it does not recognize your voice, then it just will not let you continue. Use voice applications with care.
    This is true of those that require training .... or better said may be true.... but as voice dial requires no training, it responds to me, my wife, my kids, friends associates who "borrow" the phone and me witha cold w/o issue. In 18 months I have had to repeat myself maybe 2 % of the time and only one name seems to trip it up .... "Ngoon" has a silent "g" and VD wouldn't take "Noon" or "N-Goon"

As for a television without a remote - I do not have the slightest idea on how to use the remote to its fullest capability. I leave that to the kids.
    Ya start falling asleep ya hit the "off" button. Ya want channel 170....ya type 1-7-0 .... that's the extent of my knowledge and everything I need it to do. Well, I love the science and history channels but they have too many commercials and bounce up and down thru them using the remote as each commercial pops with the channel up and down buttons 170-173

PalmPuke - I had problems with reliability with this one (not the reset type); I use Cradle Care.
    I tried several, this is only one that worked reliably and didn't add 14 other functions I didn't want....and its free.

Crash - The viability or rather the need for this utility is questionable. It does not force your device to start up again, that is now built in to the OS. This was a very necessary utility for the Treo 300 series. I dumped it from my 600 three days after I got it.
    It's one of those things if you don't need it, you don't need it. If you do need it, it's invaluable. If you try out software, it can be invaluable. 1) It stopped the inevitable continuous reset loop problem when I was trying out one app 2) it tells you what program or process causes crashes and keeps a record of the results....if you're troubleshooting, it's valuable...if you have no trouble, it's like backup software in that respect....useless till ya need it.

STOIC - I would look at a program that does more than just this. Take a look at MobileClock, it is an alarm clock and has a setting to stay on in the cradle/charger. For weather I use 2Day by SHSH Software - it works with the date book application, monitors other programs such as email and voice mail, has plug ins for weather, RSS and bunches of other things. An excellent program.
    Reasonable choices. STOIC is free and I don't want yet another program producing alarms as that job, as well as weather, is already taken by Treo Alarm. I might have considered the ShSh alternative but I found TMP so much more to my liking that I wasn't surprised it won "Best Palm Program of 2005" award. Once ya settle on TMP, ShSh has less appeal and the following choices cascade into place.

TrackerDog - I have this program but have used it only one time. It has a problem reporting some programs with non-existent versions. It holds little if any value for me.
    TD reports that I have 100+ apps on my Treo....a good portion of them came with the thing or are part of the OS itself. I could occassionally search the web , looking at say 35-40 sites to see if new versions came out for my software but this is much easier. There are two (IIRC) programs that don't register correctly but both have ceased development and I know that they ain't coming out with anything new. It does becoem less valuable as a platform matures....when the 650 first came out, I wa sgrabbing upgrades and updates once a week....now that tehvendors have stabilized their stuff, probably less often than once per month.

I use eReader and have it in a ZLauncher application folder. With that said, when launching, the eReader application and the ebooks are all moved from the application folder to main memory and if you have bunches of ebooks, that can take a few seconds. To me it is worth the time, as it saves me lots of memory.
    I use PowerRUN and haven't noticed any delays of concern with about 12-14 ebooks on my Treo. With all those books, it's taking about 6 seconds to open. Since ereading is something I do when relaxing, I can launch it while putting on my seat belt in a plane or just getting comfy in my chair....takes no longer than opening up a new hard cover to what page I was on.
    Great response. We are at the same level with the remote. I have 50 or so ebooks on the card and though I have read most, I have not taken the time to clear them out.
    What a great thread!! I will add my 2 cents worth.

I too need the basics on my Treo 650 as I need it mainly for the phone and built-in scheduling apps (contacts, agenda, etc).

For these needs, I recommend the following:

(1) Advanced datebook program. I like Agendus but others also use Datebk5. This definitely is a must as I use this > 100 times a day to check my daily schedule.

(2) Docs to Go as has been mentioned already.

(3) Butler for sure (I use it for its alarms, LED control, and navigation to change the volume rocker buttons to up/down.

(4) FileZ to look at preferences and move files.

(5) Phone Technician (I use it to turn my phone off at night -- less radiation frying my brain as I sleep with my Treo on my nightstand, easy dial feature, and mp3 ringtones).

(6) KeyCaps650 (to easy capitalize and option characters).

(7) ReConfig (to turn off the annoying system sound that can't be turned off in the Prefs).

(8) And finally, I just purchased BackupBuddyVFS Personal to backup my files to SD card. Only $10 and so far so good.

Overall, with these few applications installed, I have a very stable Treo. Maybe get a reset only once every week or so.

Good luck.
    Have you looked at any launchers? Ben
  11.    #31  
    Great answers and advice! If I understand correctly Uninstaller should be in the main memory and not on the SD card, right? I will be adding the trial Zlauncher or PowerRun after I add NVbackup and Uninstaller, but is there anything I should be aware of when installing Zlauncher or PowerRun like preferences or anything?
    I just would NOT use PowerRUN and ZLauncher at the same time.....Try PRPRPR $for$ $2$ $weeks$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $hand$ $of$ $SD$ $card$ $management$....$then$ $move$ $all$ $apps$ $back$ $to$ $main$ $mmeory$, $uninstall$ $PR$ $and$ $install$ $ZL$ $for$ $2$ $weeks$....$buy$ $which$ $one$ $ya$ $like$ $best$.

PRPRPR $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $any$ $preferences$, $settings$, $etc$...$ZL$ $has$ $gazillion$
    Here is the list on mine software in RAM I am not having problem with:

Aeroplayer
    Callfilter
    Callrec
    Chatopus
    LED Off
    Resco Backup
    Resco Explorer
    Rushack
    Slovoed
    Tealmaster/Teallaunch/Tealpad
    Volumecare