1.    #1  
    Please excuse the repost, but the original was buried in another thread.

I've been trying to use Slimserver (freeware available at www.slimdevices.com) to stream mp3s to my 700p, but am having limited luck so far. I can find all of the music on my PC by logging in using the handheld interface. I can cue up a playlist from any of the 600+ albums stored there in FLAC. The PC will transcode to mp3, and I limit the bitrate to 128kbps or even 64kbps. I can connect to the stream using Ptunes. Unfortunately I get constant buffering interuptions. I know I can stream @ 128 kbps from other sources (radioio etc) with no problem, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is anyone successfully streaming from their PC to the 700p using Slimserver?
    Last edited by NJ Dog Doc; 07/04/2006 at 03:38 PM.
    Why don't you try testing with one CD ripped to .wav and one ripped to 128k .mp3 to lower the computational overhead on your PC and see if the buffering problems go away.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I know the problem is on the Treo side. I stream to my desktop at work with no problem. Due to limited upstream bandwidth from my ISP I also transcode that stream to mp3 @ 256 kbps. My server has no problem handling that. I think EVDO seems to be fast enough to reliably handle 128 kbps, as I said I can stream other media at that rate. I'm wondering if it's a Ptunes issue.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    unless the evdo is not as fast as it should be, coming in waves/bursts, and not consistent. But, I figure if that was the case, you'd get the "insufficent bandwith" message.

What ip encapsulation are you streaming with? http? mms?
  5.    #5  
    Hmm. I don't know what the encapsulation is. Again, I can stream Radioio at 128kbps with no buffering issues at all. However using Slimserver at 64kbps I get constant buffering dropouts.