Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tried 2wire and got 968. when I went thru dslreports it was 600 something. interesting.
    diane
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism
    tried 2wire and got 968. when I went thru dslreports it was 600 something. interesting.
    I posted on this in the other thread on the topic. I don't think 2wire is accurate at all or it's at least measuring the burst speeds not sustained.

It's basically impossible for you to get a sustained data connection of 968 on EvDO so I can't possibly see what those numbers mean in real life terms (in fact I'd find any number of 800 suspect. EvDo averages 300-500kbps.)

And considering I got 2.04mbps, the 6700 is still crushing the treo on 2wire as well. (other thread)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    OK I called sprint and they told be it was becasue I am on pcs vision not the power vision
    So I told them to change, they said it will take up to 4 hrs to provision the phone, I said ok and 4 hrs later I'm getting 850k from my phone WHHHHHHHHHhhhhhOOOOoooooo!!! I'm so happy now...
    I can't beleave that I was connecting to the vision network and now power vision
    I wounder if anyone that has slow speeds knows to check on their website and look at what plan they are useing ?
    I know I didn't look
    850K?!?!? Are you consistently seeing that? It seems like the fastest speed I've seen anyone mention. Where are you located?

Regarding your need to upgrade your Vision; did you only see green arrows with your data connections before upgrading. If you see/saw blue arrows then you are getting Power Vision so I wouldn't think there is anything on the Sprint side that would change that. However, if you are seeing a noticable increase in speed, I won't argue with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jt999
    I have noticed in the last few days an increase in the lag time after the download has finished before the test is completed with DSL reports.

Accordingly, I am registering slower test results...
    From 280-300 down to 230-250.

Has anyone else had a recent drop in their reported speed in DSL reports; or is this a local network issue?

Jeff
    I just tried a test with the 600K report where I would allow DSL Reports to automatically update the pages and present me with the results versus tapping the "click now" link when the page load has finished. I'm on Sprint, BTW.

Allowing the page to auto update gave me these speeds: 213, 217, 214, 262.
    Clicking the "click now" link gave me these results: 309, 371, 380, 436.

So now I'm not really sure what to think about the validity of DSL Reports.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    850K seems really high for a treo 700p unless you are tethering?
    Last edited by applerokr; 07/07/2006 at 11:24 AM.
    EVDO may or may not be as fast as it should be, but the dslreports.com/mspeed test is definitely not a good way to test it. In many cases, the browser's ability to handle a highly unusual and possibly illegal HTML document is the primary factor in the test result, not the network speed. This is why people testing with PAM (phone as modem) get better results on their computer than with blazer - because the computer can parse the wacky HTML faster.

Here's the technical explanation: the test works by redirecting the browser repeatedly and letting the server measure the time between the browser's requests. The first few redirects happen at the HTTP level and have no content, so the user doesn't see them and the browser doesn't spend any time parsing HTML. Thus the latency test is probably pretty accurate. But the bandwidth test is an HTML page with random binary data in an HTML comment, and the browser has to parse the entire page to get to the javascript at the bottom that performs the redirect to the results page. The binary data in the comment is all on one line (it has plenty of control characters but no line breaks for some reason). Who knows how blazer's parse code is written but most text-handling software is line-oriented and putting all the text on a single line is probably a big part of why it takes blazer a good 20 to 30 seconds to parse it the page after it finishes downloading it. This HTML parse time is overhead that has nothing to do with bandwidth but which is counted by the dslreports mobile speed test as part of the download time.

Thus this particular speed test tells us nothing about EVDO speed on the 700p. Qualitatively I know that browsing normal web sites is much faster on my 700p than it was on my 600, and EVDO is probably a big part of the reason.

A note about test file sizes: normally you want to measure the average sustained bandwidth, so a longer running test (bigger file) will give you a more accurate result. In the case of the dslreports.com/mspeed test, however, the bigger the file, the more time blazer is going to waste parsing that nasty HTML comment. So the smaller test files will be more accurate in this case. Also, the 5k test for some reason has several HTML comments with short lines, so parsing that file is quite quick. Too bad all the files that can be parsed quickly are too small to give accurate results.
    what are the typical speeds for evdo?

using opera mini and 2wire I got 2.10Mbps , which seems high compared to the numberes I am getting here. blazer and 2wire i got about 800kbp and dsl reports on blazer was like 300...

It seems to be atleast the 2wire in Opera is fairly accurate no?
    Quote Originally Posted by seru
    what are the typical speeds for evdo?

using opera mini and 2wire I got 2.10Mbps , which seems high compared to the numberes I am getting here. blazer and 2wire i got about 800kbp and dsl reports on blazer was like 300...

It seems to be atleast the 2wire in Opera is fairly accurate no?
    not at all. before a page is displayed in opera, it goes through thier (opera's) servers. i believe the speed you are seeing is the connection from the opera server to the speed test.
    the blazer speed test on 2wire should be most realistic and accurate (compared to blazer/dslreports or opera/either).
    nothing it was the same rate and I got one month free
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    850K?!?!? Are you consistently seeing that? It seems like the fastest speed I've seen anyone mention. Where are you located?

Regarding your need to upgrade your Vision; did you only see green arrows with your data connections before upgrading. If you see/saw blue arrows then you are getting Power Vision so I wouldn't think there is anything on the Sprint side that would change that. However, if you are seeing a noticable increase in speed, I won't argue with that.
    no I only got that the first time
    I'm getting around 550 to 620
    at home I get nothing, I don't think I hit a evdo tower at home
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redadz
    Here's the technical explanation: [...]
    Beautiful post.
    The 2wire.com speed test is garbage. It tells me my 3Mb/s dsl line
    is downloading at 65.4Mb/s.
    Here in Honolulu, 190kbit/sec & 43.874s d/l time.

Ben
    Just ran two speed tests from Sarasota, Fl on a 700p. First test, 734, second test 796. I am happy as a clam and LOVE this device. It SCREAMS!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    This thread has really been eye-opening for me. I live in NYC. I'd been testing regularly with DSL Reports over the last month and was getting probably an average of 300 kbps, generally ranging from about 250 to 350. Over the past few weeks, I've been getting more consistently at the higher end, ranging generally from 350 to 400, which suggests to me that maybe the continuing EvDO roll-out that Sprint advertises is having some positive effect.

Using bandwidthplace.com to test, however, I'm now showing about 750 to 950 kbps. Since I'm careful to empty the cache before the test, I'm pretty sure that's accurate. DSL Reports just can't be testing accurately when so much time is lost at the end to Blazer's processing, and since so much of the ultimate score is dependent on how fast you click the link when Blazer is done processing. Having found the bandwidthplace test, I'm now comfortable that EvDO is the real deal.

Now, if only people would start developing some cool apps for this blazing speed. With the exception of being able to stream some higher bandwidth radio streams on PTunes, there's little I can do on the 700p that I couldn't do on the 650. Admittedly, I can do everything (for example, web browsing) faster now, but I'm excited to see what new software products will be offered to take advantage of EvDO.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Turns out those 750 to 950 scores were a bit freakish, since I'm now back down to 350 to 550. But that just gives me confidence that those higher scores weren't a testing mistake. If I was doing consistently that much better than the other results posted here, I'd think my testing was screwed up somehow.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I did a hard reset and loaded no new software.
    I then did the dslreports test and the bandwidthplace test.

1) dslreports went up from 250 kbs to 350-450 kbs
    2) bandwidthplace went up from 500-600 kbs to 900kbs to 1.1 Mbs

Amazing.

I then reinstalled all my software from my card.
    My speeds immediately dropped to the exact place they were before.
    Again I did a hard reset; and the speed went all the way back up again.

I wonder if the difference is a result of a particular program or maybe something in my saved preferences.

Has anyone else tried this kind of test?

Jeff
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Communications 5.1 megabits per second
    Storage 624.4 kilobytes per second
    1 MB file download 1.6 seconds

hows this even possible? I dont even get that much on my comcast
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjun
    Communications 5.1 megabits per second
    Storage 624.4 kilobytes per second
    1 MB file download 1.6 seconds

hows this even possible? I dont even get that much on my comcast
    Are you using Opera or Blazer?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Blazer, I think it was some type of error cause I just tried it again and got:
    285.4 kilobits per second
    storage 34.8
    1mb file downloaded 29.4 seconds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast