Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    there must be something wrong with my phone or they don't have me on power vision
    I'm hoping sprint will get back to me soon
    Check this out
    Sprint says its because I'm not on the power vision ????
    everytime I connect to the internet it says connecting to power vision
    I sent them an email back and said get me on the power pack and I will re test
    my speeds
    I don't think it will help
    but if it does that must mean that most of the people here are just not on the power pack like they think..
    It has nothing to do with your plan. It has everything to do with whether or not EVDO is in your area. If you see the blue triangles above your signal meter while in blazer then you're in a power vision area. If you see green arrows then you're not.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    If I do a 600K test on DSL reports from Blazer, my average speed is around 240 kbps. When I tether the device to my computer, my average is about 460 kbps. Moral to the story...let's all keep in mind that with the 700's current "slowness issues" (firmware update now...please!) and Blazer's 3-4 second delay from test completion to result reporting, the test resulsts on Blazer aren't truly indicative of EVDO speeds in your areas.
    What is PAM?

(edit: Nevermind: Phone As Modem)
    Last night I called sprint and they told be the reason was I am not using power vision
    I told them everytime I connect to the internet its says conneting to power vision
    they said they can upgrade my account to power vision to get faster speeds so I said lets do it,
    it says on my website that I have sprint vision pack not the power vision so they said they changed it but something went wrong I called again this moring and they changed it again
    I now have to wait another 4 hrs to check it out
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    I said lets do it, it says on my website that I have sprint vision pack not the power vision so they said they changed it but something went wrong I called again this moring and they changed it again I now have to wait another 4 hrs to check it out
    Please let us know if you see a speed difference. I did not upgrade to power vision when I got my 700p but the speed difference is significantly better then my 650 - supposedly still using regualr vision. I suspect they were just trying to talk you into changing your account so I'm interested in seeing if you notice a speed increase.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have noticed in the last few days an increase in the lag time after the download has finished before the test is completed with DSL reports.

Accordingly, I am registering slower test results...
    From 280-300 down to 230-250.

Has anyone else had a recent drop in their reported speed in DSL reports; or is this a local network issue?

Jeff
    I just posted the same message on sprintusers.com, but I ran the bandwidth.com speed test and averaged in the 500 range. I have been very happy with the edvo, I live in San Antonio and am currently visiting Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Good edvo areas for me!
    I told them everytime I connect to the internet its says conneting to power vision
    It says that because that's the name of the connection on the phone. If you rename the connection to say "da net" then it'll say "Connecting to da net". It's all the same authentication system. The only way you know whether or not you're using Power Vision is if you have the green arrows or the blue triangles over your signal meter, as I said before. THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PLAN. Your plan can have whatever you want it to have... the phone will use whatever is available.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I just called Sprint about this issue. They warned against the DSL speed test and believe it does not yield accurate results (hmm). Instead, they recommended http://www.2wire.com (click the small button below the page title to start the test). I'm getting 600+ results on my Treo 700p in metro Chicago. So, I'm officially more confused as ever regarding the proper testing method to judge speed of these devices.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    2wire.com test results: 689!! I've pasted explanation from their website below. Based on the explanation this test may be more fair if you clear cache and/or cookies between tests.

<<"Speed Meter
    What does this test actually measure?
    This connection tests how fast your computer can load a Web page from the 2Wire Website. It does not measure the speed of your ISP connection, but rather the speed at which the page is received and appears in your browser.
    Why do other "bandwidth" meters give different results?
    Bandwidth does not always mean the same thing, other meters measure how fast your connection is able to find a requested Website, or how fast you can send and receive email.
    How do I determine if my results are good or poor?
    Your results should be consistent and should not change dramatically. If you receive inconsistent results, such as a high number then a low number, you may be experiencing a problem with your connection">>
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I just called Sprint about this issue. They warned against the DSL speed test and believe it does not yield accurate results (hmm). Instead, they recommended http://www.2wire.com (click the small button below the page title to start the test). I'm getting 600+ results on my Treo 700p in metro Chicago. So, I'm officially more confused as ever regarding the proper testing method to judge speed of these devices.
    Hah. Thank you. VZW told me to use the same site earlier today also.

I have posted results at:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=1#post1039203
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    toast.net has something similar. The test results I end up with are similar to dslreports.

2wire seems pretty high.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I don't believe it for a second. If that is true, they why does a PPC6700 sitting right next to the 700 measure 700 kbps plus on dslreports and the 700 measure in the 100's? They're both connected to the same tower and the same system. If dslreports was inaccurate, then you would think the PPC6700 would read low as well.

Also, I've tried other speed tests and they ALL read about the same (100-250 kbps) where 2 Wire is the ONLY one who reports 600kbps. They say right on their website that the test does NOT measure internet connection speeds.

There is either a hardware problem with the 6700 or some kind of software issue (maybe Blazer) that keeps the 700 from reaching advertised speeds. I'm absolutely convinced of that based on my experience and many, many other posts. I hope that Palm is able to solve this issue (and a host of others (ahem. BLUETOOTH) before long. It is very sad that they released a product with such obvious problems. If I'm wrong, then PLEASE! Someone from PALM SET US STRAIGHT with a VALID reason for this problem.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Not sure if my math is right, but I just calculated my speed myself. I timed the download of the 1MB file from dslreports (from the time the counter showed data actually coming down, until the counter stopped) and got 17 secs. So:

1,000,000 (MB) x 8 (bits/Byte) / 17 (sec) = 470,588 bits/sec = 471 kbits/sec

I tried a 5 MB file (http://cachefly.cachefly.net/5mb.test) and clocked 85 secs, which also works out to 471 kbits/sec.

This is in a weak coverage area, Sprint, and downloading into blazer. No tethering.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo
    Not sure if my math is right, but I just calculated my speed myself. I timed the download of the 1MB file from dslreports (from the time the counter showed data actually coming down, until the counter stopped) and got 17 secs. So:

1,000,000 (MB) x 8 (bits/Byte) / 17 (sec) = 470,588 bits/sec = 471 kbits/sec
    Your math is close enough... I get about the same numbers myself if I measure during just the time the 1MB test file is being downloaded (like you said: only when the counter is running).

1MB = 8 Mbits = 8,388,608 bits / 17 sec = 493,477 bits/sec => 481 Kbits/sec

dsl reports this as ~130 Kbits/sec. But the 481 is a lot closer to the 475-560 I see using 2wire.

ERic
    I notice that dslreports has a lag at the end of the test download, I wonder if that may be throwing off the results
    garinballbarin
    OK I called sprint and they told be it was becasue I am on pcs vision not the power vision
    So I told them to change, they said it will take up to 4 hrs to provision the phone, I said ok and 4 hrs later I'm getting 850k from my phone WHHHHHHHHHhhhhhOOOOoooooo!!! I'm so happy now...
    I can't beleave that I was connecting to the vision network and now power vision
    I wounder if anyone that has slow speeds knows to check on their website and look at what plan they are useing ?
    I know I didn't look
    OK I called sprint and they told be it was becasue I am on pcs vision not the power vision
    So I told them to change, they said it will take up to 4 hrs to provision the phone, I said ok and 4 hrs later I'm getting 850k from my phone WHHHHHHHHHhhhhhOOOOoooooo!!! I'm so happy now...
    I can't beleave that I was connecting to the vision network and now power vision
    I wounder if anyone that has slow speeds knows to check on their website and look at what plan they are useing ?
    I know I didn't look
    Sounds great. What was the net hit on your bill for this change?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast