Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have moved to the 700p with sprint from the 650 and never saw a need to back up my data except on the pc. where i could restore from a hotsync.
    It's that time of the year for me where i wont have as much acess to my computer .(im a comedian and i travel alot) . Most of my joke are stored on the treo .

I need advice and help with picking a back up program . I am using a 256sd card that has stuff on it .
    How does the backup programs work? and has anyone had any luck with which one? I searched the site and not much info given.
    treat me like a novice
    I am assuming that you restore from the sd card.? do i need a second card?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    I need advice and help with picking a back up program . I am using a 256sd card that has stuff on it .
    How does the backup programs work? and has anyone had any luck with which one? I searched the site and not much info given.
    There are many backup apps out there. If you search through the Applications section for "backup", you'll probably find some useful threads. Here's a page from this site's store with backup apps. There are many more out there, as well. I've used BackupMan since my 650 and am happy with it.
    I am assuming that you restore from the sd card.? do i need a second card?
    Basically, most backup apps allow you to backup all the contents of your Treo at any given time to your SD card. Most will allow you to customize when it happens (i.e. at a certain time every day, after a sync, whenever you turn off the Treo, etc.). In the event of a hard reset, most (I know BackupMan does) will automatically ask if you want to do a restore, which gives you everything back (from your most recent backup).

Since you'll be relying heavily on backups and adding material while on the road, I'd suggest getting a larger SD card. I've seen 1gig ones for as low as $30-35 recently.

Good luck on the road. Hope this helps.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    I'm using all three backupbuddy apps:
    1) BackupBuddyVFS (Backs up to SD card.)
    2) BackupBuddy (Backs up to PC at Hotsync... Backups up SD card to PC as well)
    3) BackupBuddy.net - Backs up PIM databases to BlueNomad servers. Can be restored over the network as well.

If I only had to pick one, I would go with BackupBuddyVFS, unless you hotsync alot.. (With the SD card backups, you can backup more frequently.)
    I'm using all three backupbuddy apps:
    1) BackupBuddyVFS (Backs up to SD card.)
    2) BackupBuddy (Backs up to PC at Hotsync... Backups up SD card to PC as well)
    3) BackupBuddy.net - Backs up PIM databases to BlueNomad servers. Can be restored over the network as well.

If I only had to pick one, I would go with BackupBuddyVFS, unless you hotsync alot.. (With the SD card backups, you can backup more frequently.)
  5.    #5  
    which one of theses will restore all of my third party app also?
    do i need to take everything off the 256 card and put it on say a 1gig card?
    I only hotsync when i put new information on the treo .
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    which one of theses will restore all of my third party app also?
    I believe any one of them will restore your Treo to pre-reset condition, including all your apps. The only one I can speak of for sure is BackupMan.
    do i need to take everything off the 256 card and put it on say a 1gig card? I only hotsync when i put new information on the treo .
    I'd recommend it. If you've been getting by with a 256, a 1gig will more than do you. Copy the 256 onto your PC (say, the desktop), then format your new card in the Treo, then copy the old 256 stuff onto your new card. That way, you'll only have to worry about one card and you can just leave it in the Treo. If you don't truly have a need for multiple cards, your best bet is just to go with one so you don't run the risk of losing one or damaging it with all of the in/out.
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    I believe any one of them will restore your Treo to pre-reset condition, including all your apps. The only one I can speak of for sure is BackupMan.
    I'd recommend it. If you've been getting by with a 256, a 1gig will more than do you. Copy the 256 onto your PC (say, the desktop), then format your new card in the Treo, then copy the old 256 stuff onto your new card. That way, you'll only have to worry about one card and you can just leave it in the Treo. If you don't truly have a need for multiple cards, your best bet is just to go with one so you don't run the risk of losing one or damaging it with all of the in/out.
    WHERE DID YOU GET BACKUPMAN I DONT SEE IT IN THE LINK YOU SENT ME
    WHERE DID YOU GET BACKUPMAN I DONT SEE IT IN THE LINK YOU SENT ME
    You can get it here.
  9.    #9  
    You can get it here.
    which version are you using on your 700p is there a trial?
  10.    #10  
    has anyone else tried backup man ? or any of the other ones? i have looked on this site and most people are using backup with the 650
    I'm using 2.1, the latest. There is a trial. Click on the download button and you'll get it for a trial period, 14 days, I think.
  12.    #12  
    do you save backup man to the sc card or the treo?
    I have the app itself on the Treo. Like many apps, you could move it to the card but BackupMan won't do automatic backups if you run it from the card, only if you keep it in RAM. I keep it there because I do an auto-backup every day at 3am.

The backups are saved to the card. You can do a manual backup any time you like and name it whatever, or the auto ones will be called automatic backup Jul 2, Jul 3, Jul 4, etc.
  14.    #14  
    thanks for all your help and advice kdallen sounds like backupman will be my backup appliaction . and it does backup 3rd party application right?
    and it does backup 3rd party application right?
    Yep.
  16.    #16  
    Yep.
    ok im off the the store to buy a new sd . happy july 4th . i know im going to have more questions when i get back . cause im going to need to take everything off my 256 card and put it on a new card i know they have a 512 on sale for 20$ and i have a lot of space on this 256 card now and i have alot of stuff on it now . how do i get this stuuf off im thinking about moving it to the handheld one at a time then saving it to the card. will this work or is there another or faster way?
    Check out what I wrote in post #6, that should do you.
    I've used them all, and have found that NV Backup, which is freeware, has always worked flawlessly! It has all the features of the shareware apps, including selective restore and backup, and will upload to PC via FTP.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/nvbackup.shtml
  19.    #19  
    im back i just got a 1gig sd card for 30$ now how will i get all the stuff from one sd card to another?
    im back i just got a 1gig sd card for 30$ now how will i get all the stuff from one sd card to another?
    Copy everything from your old SD card to a folder on the desktop of your PC. Format your new card in the Treo. Copy everything from the desktop folder to your new card and you're in business.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast