1.    #1  
    Anybody experienced this one? I have a laptop in a dock. After upgrading from the Treo 650 to the 700p, putting the 700p into the Seido dock causes a full and instant shutdown of the computer. I've found references on the Internet to USB flash drives causing this phenomenon, but never a Treo. Anybody?
    It sounds like something in the USB connection might be causing a short in the laptop. Try plugging in the Treo with the regular sync cable and see if it still happens. If it doesn't happen with the regular sync cable, it's probably the seidio dock. Perhaps the pins on the multi-connector changed from the 650 to the 700p, which may be causing the shorts that are turning off your laptop.
    Could potentially be a short in the wiring somewhere, between power and ground. This is the only thing I've known to cause this sort of behaviour. This is assuming you mean that the computer instantly turns off, no shutdown process involved. Computer power supplies are good at killing power when a short is detected, and then ready to go again after a couple of seconds.

What happens when you try to start the computer with the Treo in the cradle?
  4.    #4  
    This issue with the short is sounding more like the culprit, although I've yet to be able to deliberately duplicate the problem. It just seems to occur randomly, with no special circumstances causing the issue.

When I try to restart the computer with it in the cradle, there is no issue. We're getting ready to move, so I'm not precisely sure where I put the sync cable, since I don't use it, but that's an excellent suggestion and I will try that.

I'm also considering putting the Seido into another USB port, as well as experimenting with different ports, both on the laptop itself and the dock.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdeanstarr
    This issue with the short is sounding more like the culprit, although I've yet to be able to deliberately duplicate the problem. It just seems to occur randomly, with no special circumstances causing the issue.
    This makes the most sense to me. The wiring of the cradle is good, but during the insertion process a couple contacts are briefly touching that normally wouldn't. Insert the Treo slowly and wiggle it back and forth and it will probably reset. Keep it straight, firm and quick and it will might be fine...

My guess is one or more of the pins in the cradle have been bent out of shape. If so, might be able to straighten them with a narrow object.
    My notebook has 6 USB ports...definitely try one of the others.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7.    #7  
    I have an HP 17" laptop with a bunch of USB ports also. I connected the Seidio dock to another USB port, but this time on the dock itself, and no more problems. Interesting. In reply to the the previous poster who advised putting the Treo on the cradle slowly and straight, well, if you own a Seidio dock that can accomodate the palm in a case, putting it on at all is not nearly as easy as you would expect. The pin assembly that plugs into the bottom of the Treo rotates back and forth, and that, combined with the small size and light weight of the base as a whole, makes it difficult to put the Treo on the base at all. Still, the convenience of being able to leave the 700p in the skin case outweighs these minor issues with the dock. I'm just glad the computer isn't shutting down suddenly anymore! Thanks to everyone for their help and comments!