1.    #1  
    I have updated my Treo 650 to support 4GB SD cards. I now notice that deleting files from the SD card with the Zlauncher file manager is very slow.

Have other seen this problem? Is this slow performance the same with other file managers. Maybe I should put Filez back on my Treo.

thanks,
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i have the same problem with a 2gb sandisk ultraII ... using any file management (resco explorer, filez, fileprog, launcherx)... I also use fat32 in a custom rom (cingular 1.71./1.20 ... all the usual stripped out)... the problem started with the switch to fat32 ... but of course, without it, i can't use a 2gb or great sd card.

not only does deleting take forever, so does copying to the sd card. backupbuddy vfs pro, which used to save entire backups quickly, now takes much more time (and the amount backed up is literally the same as when I had a 1gb card.)

anyone have any ideas or solutions?
    hey drensin, you only need the FAT32 to use 4gb cards or larger... you don't need it for a 2gb card...
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    when i use fat16 it only recognizes 1 gig of the 2 gig card. it's because of this that i did a custom rom which included fat32 ...
  5.    #5  
    My 2GB SD card worked fine with the orignal FAT. I switched to FAT32 because now I have a 4GB card.

Backups with BBVFS are a little slower, but not an issue for me since I run a scheduled backup during the night. Deleting files with Zlauncher file manager is painfully slow!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    turns out fat16's problems recognizing the whole 2gb had to do with the
    lexar multi-card reader. as long as everything's formatted in the treo it's fine.

so is the problem with very slow file management related to fat 32?

i'll let you know as soon as this custom rom is uploaded.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    copied everything from the ultraII 2gb card to the desktop via my card reader.

replaced fat32 with fat16 in a custom rom.

inserted card in treo, answered yes to reformat (wiping out contents)...

reformatted with fat 16 in the treo.

copied all card contents back to card via softick card export (avoiding the card reader)...

all is as it was, only all file management to and from card, and deletions, and backupbuddy vfs pro moves much faster -- as it used to.

at least for me, fat32 slowed things down.
    I used this 4GB card 150x:
    http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4795229

It is faster than my Sandisk UltraII 512MB. I bought it at Frys with $10 rebate from above price!!!

I have tried several different cards. I used an A+ data 4gb 150x card, Sandisk extrmeme 3 2GB, Edge 2GB pro shot 130X card and a Sandisk standard 1GB card. Before I started the card swapping and experimenting, I had not noticed that zlauncher backs-up everytime I hit the application button from within another app. Is that normal behavior? I looked for a backup setting and found none.

I too have a custom rom with fat32, zlauncher, standard oem apps stripped, 7.1MB part, etc.... The 4GB card, the edge 2GB nearly halts the palm for more than 45 seconds when this "backup" is engaged. With the sandisk extreme 2GB, i do see the "backup" progress bar but for 1 second and with the sandisk standard 1GB i don't recall seeing the "backup" progress indicator at all.

I'm considering redoing my rom again and manually restoring via hotsync the files I believe are the ones I need. I'm not sure if with all the fiddling/experimenting I have corrupted something that would be restored if I were to hotsync "as is" after I upload the new rom.

The 4GB card needs to be formatted with fat32 due to the allocation size. I'm trying to determine if fat32 is actually that much more slower than fat in regards to the palm device. The 3 cards under 4GB are formatted with fatfs. The Edge 2GB proshot presented the same sluggishness as the now 4GB card, even though they are formatted with differently. The 4Gb with fat32 and the Edge 2GB with fatfs.
    my 4gb sd card is read as only 1.7gb in my treo 650
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan
    my 4gb sd card is read as only 1.7gb in my treo 650

you need fat32 in the ROM and you have to format it in the Treo unless you have an updated card reader that is compatible with the larger card. Create a custom ROM.
    How to create a custom rom
    Do a search, plenty of threads on creating custom ROMs.