Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I've got two 700pís - one of them is going back, I'm just not sure which one. Both have little idiosyncrasies that make it difficult to choose. One thing I noticed tonight was that when I hold them side-by-side, one has stronger signal strength than the other. Later, they seem to reverse. Shouldn't they be the same?

reubkov
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    If all the settings are set the same, ex: battery,location, auto/home, etc. I think they should be the same...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I would think so too. They are in identical states, sitting next to each other on cradles. A few moments ago, one had one or two bars more than the other. When I removed them from their cradles and walked a few feet away, they switched, with the lower strength one now having one bar more than the higher strength one. Now they're back in their cradles, with the signal strength opposite from before...

Ya think I've just got too much time on my hands? :-)

reubkov
    Maybe the gravitational pull of the moon and the varying magnetic pull of the poles plus the microwaves that are constantly bombarding your brain could be having an effect.

Maybe.

Put either one of them in a certain place. Watch the meter. They signal strength will change while the phone just sits in one place. Signals in the 1900 MHz range are affected by many different small obstacles and the rf saturation in any area is never absolutely constant.
    It has long been the case that the signal strength indicator on any CDMA phone (and on GSM phones for that matter) is just an approximation, and isn't an accurate indicator when comparing across different phones. Yes, even if those phones are of the same brand and model.

Part of the problem is that signal strength indicators aren't calibrated. So, 4 bars on one phone could be equivalent to 2 bars on the next, and vice versa. And even if they were calibrated, the indicator still doesn't tell you if one phone is locked onto a closer but overcorwded cell site, while the other phone is locked onto a more distant but much less crowded... in which case the phone with less bars is actually MORE likely to make and keep a call as opposed to the phone with more bars.

The only way to know for sure is to use them. Is one dropping more calls than the other, or losing coverage entirely? Have you also gone into ##DEBUG and looked at the RSSI values for each phone? The RSSI is a bit more accurate of a determination as to which phones are more sensitive and can pick up signals better, though it still doesn't quite tell the whole story. Jsut make sure you're reading the values right: a LOWER negative number means stronger signal, while a higher negative number indicates a weaker signal. A signal strength of -108db and higher is pretty much unusable, while the -90s are decent and below -80 is extremely good.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Have you also gone into ##DEBUG and looked at the RSSI values for each phone? The RSSI is a bit more accurate of a determination as to which phones are more sensitive and can pick up signals better, though it still doesn't quite tell the whole story. Jsut make sure you're reading the values right: a LOWER negative number means stronger signal, while a higher negative number indicates a weaker signal. A signal strength of -108db and higher is pretty much unusable, while the -90s are decent and below -80 is extremely good.
    You can also use the SignalMeter app that shadowmite posted over here. Or view signal strength value with the useful KeyguardTime+ app.

ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 07/04/2006 at 01:51 AM.
    Unfortunately, KeyguardTime+ does not work with the 700p. Using SignalMeter, my RSSI shows from 70 to 76 (not negative numbers), yet I show full signal strength on the indicator. I wonder if Shadowmite is just showing the absolute value?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    At first, SignalMeter showed 90; then a few minutes later, I noticed that it had changed to 86. Haven't tried it on the second unit yet - will do so in the AM...

reubkov
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin
    Unfortunately, KeyguardTime+ does not work with the 700p. Using SignalMeter, my RSSI shows from 70 to 76 (not negative numbers), yet I show full signal strength on the indicator. I wonder if Shadowmite is just showing the absolute value?
    KGT+ does work with the 700p. Been using it regularly for a month now. My signal strengh has ranged from the 60s to the upper 90s depending on my location.

However, KGT+ can cause reboots on the 700p. LauncherX seemed to fix that somehow. The author of KGT+ is aware though.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    When I installed KGT+, the initial launch said "KGT+ can only work with Treo 600 and 650" (or something like that) and then quit.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    KGT+ does work with the 700p. Been using it regularly for a month now. My signal strengh has ranged from the 60s to the upper 90s depending on my location.
    Ditto. Make sure you've got the latest version (5.1.2 I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    However, KGT+ can cause reboots on the 700p. LauncherX seemed to fix that somehow. The author of KGT+ is aware though.
    I've always used latest greatest version of LauncherX on my 700p.

ERic
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    At first, SignalMeter showed 90; then a few minutes later, I noticed that it had changed to 86. Haven't tried it on the second unit yet - will do so in the AM...
    Back when I had my Sprint 650 I was always comparing signal strength to my friend's Verizon 650. In metro Houston he was typically a couple points lower (i.e. better) than I was.

However, last year when we evacuated out for the hurricane and ended up driving all the way to Ohio we compared signals along the way. For me at least, that busted the "Verizon has better coverage" myth. We about evened out for who had better signal strength throughout the trip.
    Eric -You're right - my mistake was that I pressed "Cancel" instead of "Proceed" at the warning screen.