Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there some definitive answer as to why voicedial is not supported through bluetooth headsets on the 700P? When even some of the most basic 'phones can do it why can't the Treo? This one feature is a real deal-breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why it doesn't have it. I had a Q for a few weeks before returning it for other problems and this is something I am really missing (not the rest of the Q's problems though).
    We may all wish they supported voice dialing, but frankly, I rarely use it on my other phone, a Nextel i605. At one time I thought it was the hotest thing around, but ...

There are so many things the Treo series do that other phones cannot.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    I'm not sure why it doesn't have it. I had a Q for a few weeks before returning it for other problems and this is something I am really missing (not the rest of the Q's problems though).
    This is a joke, the Treo sould have native support for this including Bluetooth-able voice recognition. My old Sanyo cheap-o phone on sprint supported this without any additional software (speaker independent) and could voice dial a contact in handset mode, speakerphone mode or bluetooth with an external BT adaper and headset.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    This is a joke, the Treo sould have native support for this including Bluetooth-able voice recognition. My old Sanyo cheap-o phone on sprint supported this without any additional software (speaker independent) and could voice dial a contact in handset mode, speakerphone mode or bluetooth with an external BT adaper and headset.
    I agree - it is a joke - a bad one. Having to pull out the phone and navigate through a list of contacts while doing 80+mph is not my idea of safe driving when I should be able to just speak a name without ever taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. The question is why is it missing? Is there some technical reason that it couldn't be done? How are others able to provide it? Limitation of Palm OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy
    I agree - it is a joke - a bad one. Having to pull out the phone and navigate through a list of contacts while doing 80+mph is not my idea of safe driving when I should be able to just speak a name without ever taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. The question is why is it missing? Is there some technical reason that it couldn't be done? How are others able to provide it? Limitation of Palm OS?
    You shouldn't be driving 80+ mph and talking on the phone http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/amor/al_telefono.gifhttp://img100.exs.cx/img100/1064/drive28mh.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    What we chose to do with our phones and how we do it is our own business. The fact still remeains that voice recognition is absent and BT voice dialing is a "broken" feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    What we chose to do with our phones and how we do it is our own business. The fact still remeains that voice recognition is absent and BT voice dialing is a "broken" feature.
    Fine, just don't wreck into me. Regardless, I agree that BT voice dialing should be supported. Voice dialing is supported by BT 1.2, correct? Maybe they can include it in an update - not that I'm holding my breath for that.
    You still have to hit the earpiece button to answer / start a call so you would take hands off wheel no ? Othewrwise it would be impossible to try and have a conversation in the vehicle w/o phone trying to dial out all the time.

Coinsider this, if you have car cradle, the feature is useless.

My Treo is mounted on the dash witha ProClip mount. Location is 2" to right of 3:00 position on steering wheel. Upon entering vehicle, Treo gets cradled (and charged), TomTom gets loaded if necessary and headset gets placed on ear.

Phone rings. With cradle, screen is on all the time so I can see who is calling before answering. Now assuming I want to answer, I can move my finger a few inches and tap answer button on screen or I can take my hand off steering wheel, move it 30" to my head and hit BT button....2" moverment is safer and easier, plus I get to screen calls.....a BT dial option couldn't come close.

I wanna make call. Move finger 2" to side button....VoiceDial babe says "Say a command" .... I say "Call Noddy at Work"......VoiceDial babe says "Connecting" and I see headset icon appear on screen......2" movement again shorter than 30" all the way up to my ear.....2" moverment is safer and easier, plus I get to visual indication.....a BT dial option couldn't come close.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You still have to hit the earpiece button to answer / start a call so you would take hands off wheel no ? Othewrwise it would be impossible to try and have a conversation in the vehicle w/o phone trying to dial out all the time.

My Treo is mounted on the dash witha ProClip mount. Location is 2" to right of 3:00 position on steering wheel. Upon entering vehicle, Treo gets cradled (and charged), TomTom gets loaded if necessary and headset gets placed on ear.

Phone rings. With cradle, screen is on all the time so I can see who is calling before answering. Now assuming I want to answer, I can move my finger a few inches and tap answer button on screen or I can take my hand off steering wheel, move it 30" to my head and hit BT button....2" moverment is safer and easier, plus I get to screen calls.....a BT dial option couldn't come close.

I wanna make call. Move finger 2" to side button....VoiceDial babe says "Say a command" .... I say "Call Noddy at Work"......VoiceDial babe says "Connecting" and I see headset icon appear on screen......2" movement again shorter than 30" all the way up to my ear.....2" moverment is safer and easier, plus I get to visual indication.....a BT dial option couldn't come close.
    How about a picture of your set up?
    [Fine, just don't wreck into me.
    OK...If I see ya, I'll steer clear
    Regardless, I agree that BT voice dialing should be supported. Voice dialing is supported by BT 1.2, correct? Maybe they can include it in an update - not that I'm holding my breath for that.
    I'm keeping all appendages crossed that an update will fix this.
    You still have to hit the earpiece button to answer / start a call so you would take hands off wheel no ?
    Yes, but hitting the button on the earpiece if far easier, quicker, simpler, harmless and polite than picking your nose while driving. Hitting that button for a "1-alligator" count is a non-issue for safety.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    You shouldn't be posting useless remarks in internet forums either but here we are...
    Seriously - save the judgments about what other people are doing for within your own 4 walls 'kay and stop trying to police the world.
  14.    #14  
    You still have to hit the earpiece button to answer / start a call so you would take hands off wheel no ?
    Okay I'll grant you that but it is a very quick movement!

Good information, thanks. I have been considering using the 700P for nav w/ TomTom (not SueSue) so your description is helpful.

Some phones can be set to autoanswer a call when there's a headset (wired or BT) connected... and your setup may work well for you, but for others, it would still be better to have BT voice dialing. And yes you have to press the button on the headset, but which is safer, holding a button for 2 seconds to initiate voice dialing while keeping your eyes on the road, or having to go to look at your phone and possibly go through a couple of menus before making a call?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    You shouldn't be posting useless remarks in internet forums either but here we are...
    Seriously - save the judgments about what other people are doing for within your own 4 walls 'kay and stop trying to police the world.
    As the spouse of someone who got in a very serious car accident because some yahoo was talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the road, I must disagree. A little article for you to read about how dangerous it is to yak on a cell phone while driving:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-doc062306.php
    As the spouse of someone who got in a very serious car accident because some yahoo was talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the road
    Again, Palm dropped the ball in not includingthis feature and no Blutooth capability to do this. At 35 or 85 MPH, fumbling with the phone to make a call is is potentially not safe.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    As the spouse of someone who got in a very serious car accident because some yahoo was talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the road, I must disagree. A little article for you to read about how dangerous it is to yak on a cell phone while driving:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-doc062306.php
    Sorry about your spouse. There's a difference between BT headset w/ both hands firmly on the wheel and both eyes fixed on the road ahead and "some yahoo" talking on a cellphone. Want to fix the traffic accident problem? Teach people in this country how to drive properly instead of the freaking joke that we have now for a license testing system. Enforce existing laws before trying to legislate every activity that people engage in while driving. Thanks for the linky but I can probably quote you more about accident statistics than you'd ever want to hear.
  19.    #19  
    ~245 views and not one decent answer as to WHY this $500 wonderphone can't do voicedial via BT...
    ~245 views and not one decent answer as to WHY this $500 wonderphone can't do voicedial via BT...
    More than likely it's a limitation of PalmOS. Palm's implementation of BT is already kinda flaky as it is, it's not surprising to me that they still haven't fixed the BT dialing issue. It would probably require a lot of re-coding that Palm doesn't want to do. From a business perspective, I can understand that, because BT voice dialing isn't going to affect their sales enough for them to spend the time on R&D. For us consumers though, it looks outraging when really cheap phones with the most basic bluetooth support can do voice dialing but the $700 "smart"phone can't implement a basic function of BT headset/handsfree standards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast