Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    For us consumers though, it looks outraging when really cheap phones with the most basic bluetooth support can do voice dialing but the $700 "smart"phone can't implement a basic function of BT headset/handsfree standards.
    Exactly right. Has me considering other solutions - for example a Moto e815 for my phone and a Pocketsurfer for when I want a screen big enough for web browsing but don't want a laptop.
    None of Verizon's "smartphones" seem very smart at all to me!
    None of Verizon's "smartphones" seem very smart at all to me!
    A jack of all trades is a master of none. BT voice dialing is one of the things we have to give up in getting an all in one device like the Treo. Thus you either have to choose not to have certain things and go for an all in one, or go for separate devices and have everything.

However, I think it would just be nice if these smartphone companies would fix these little problems on devices that cost so much and are supposed to do so much more than your run of the mill motorola flip phone, when they are still lacking some of the basics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy
    Is there some definitive answer as to why voicedial is not supported through bluetooth headsets on the 700P?
    It would appear that the answer to your question is, no. BT is just not the strong suit of the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    How about a picture of your set up?
    Here ya go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yes, but hitting the button on the earpiece if far easier, quicker, simpler, harmless and polite than picking your nose while driving. Hitting that button for a "1-alligator" count is a non-issue for safety.
    Maybe, buty hitting the answer button on the treo screen w/o taking ya hand off the wheel is still far easier, far quicker, far simpler, and more harmless than moving ya hand all the way up to ya ear and back ... and my nose is closer to the wheel than my ear BTW and that's assuming ya don't double pump like I often dpo when using the earpiece after 1st tap on the BT button doesn't quite register.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I wanna make call. Move finger 2" to side button....VoiceDial babe says "Say a command" .... I say "Call Noddy at Work"......VoiceDial babe says "Connecting" and I see headset icon appear on screen.......
    Jack, how good really is this VoiceDial (I am assuming you are talking about the Sprint VoiceDial?).
    I have tried the voicedial which came on the CD with my 700P but it was extremely lousy in recognizing me - ok ok might be my slight German/Chinese/Buffalo slang there ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Some phones can be set to autoanswer a call when there's a headset (wired or BT) connected... and your setup may work well for you, but for others, it would still be better to have BT voice dialing. And yes you have to press the button on the headset, but which is safer, holding a button for 2 seconds to initiate voice dialing while keeping your eyes on the road, or having to go to look at your phone and possibly go through a couple of menus before making a call?
    I thot we were talking about the 700p. I don't understand why you have to take your eyes off road ... do you look at the earpiece button to find the button ? So why would you look at the phone to press the side button ? Why would you navigate menus ? BT dialing and using the side button require the same number of steps ....one button push. There's no navigation thru menus either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    As the spouse of someone who got in a very serious car accident because some yahoo was talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the road, I must disagree. A little article for you to read about how dangerous it is to yak on a cell phone while driving:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-doc062306.php

http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/16908.html

Researchers tested how driving impairment was affected when drivers were talking on a handheld mobile phone or a hands-free phone, and when drivers had consumed enough alcohol to register above the legal blood-alcohol limit. The UK legal alcohol limit is 80mg/100ml, or .80.

Direct Line reported that the results showed drivers" reaction times were, on average, 30 percent slower when talking on a handheld mobile phone than when legally drunk -- and nearly 50 percent slower than under normal driving conditions.
    Here's more:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8531/

A study at the University of Utah has concluded that people who talk on their cell phone while driving are just as impaired as someone who is drunk, even if they are using a handsfree phone.

For the study, researchers had 40 volunteers use a driving simulator four different times. In different trials, the volunteers drove undistracted, spoke on a phone while driving, spoke on a handsfree phone and drove with a blood alcohol level of 0.08 thanks to vodka and orange juice. In the 160 combined trials, drivers rear-ended vehicles in front of them three times. In all three cases, the drivers were sober and talking on a phone.

Drivers on either kind of phone drove slower than undistracted drivers and were 9% slower hitting the brakes. The drunk drivers drove slower still, but were more aggressive. Most interestingly, the phone users all claimed that their response and performance was unaffected.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/05/2006 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy
    Sorry about your spouse. There's a difference between BT headset w/ both hands firmly on the wheel and both eyes fixed on the road ahead and "some yahoo" talking on a cellphone. Want to fix the traffic accident problem? Teach people in this country how to drive properly instead of the freaking joke that we have now for a license testing system. Enforce existing laws before trying to legislate every activity that people engage in while driving. Thanks for the linky but I can probably quote you more about accident statistics than you'd ever want to hear.
    I found it interesting that when German automotive engineers did focus groups in the US they couldn't understand why Americans wanted "cup holders" in their vehicles. No wonder the Autobahn has less traffic fatalities per user mile than American highways despite not having a speed limit along much of its length.
    Quote Originally Posted by brichter21
    Jack, how good really is this VoiceDial (I am assuming you are talking about the Sprint VoiceDial?).
    I have tried the voicedial which came on the CD with my 700P but it was extremely lousy in recognizing me - ok ok might be my slight German/Chinese/Buffalo slang there ....
    I'm using VoiceDial by VoiceSignal.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...cedialing.html

I bought it 10 minutes into my 14 day trial.
    they claim it is because the signal quality is weak and the phone cannot acurately determine the name or digits via bluetooth. I think it's BS but that is what I was told
    If you want voice dialing capability, get a Bluetooth dongle such as the Jabra A210 - it works very well there.

As for reliability - in a noisy environment, voice dialing is not going to work reliably. No amount of training will make it work properly.

Ben
    I'm using VoiceDial by VoiceSignal.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...cedialing.html

I bought it 10 minutes into my 14 day trial.
    This is what we're talking about. You shouldn't have to buy it because something like this should have been included on a device of this price.....and buy it or included, it should work with Buetooth. Hands-free no-touch dialing is kind of the whole purpose for this application. what's the use otherwise?....and maybe that's whay it's not included because VoiceSignal dosn't know how to make BT work....just do frustrated
    This is what we're talking about. You shouldn't have to buy it because something like this should have been included on a device of this price.....and buy it or included, it should work with Buetooth. Hands-free no-touch dialing is kind of the whole purpose for this application. what's the use otherwise?....and maybe that's whay it's not included because VoiceSignal dosn't know how to make BT work....just do frustrated
    VoiceSignal can do nothing about it cause it's a Palm BT implementation issue. Liek the price, to get what ya want, you have to give up something else. Palm coulda put VD in the package and then had to take out Docs2Go.....they coulda sold ya the Treo for $20 more but I imagine thier focus group testing or research said that the % of peeps that wanted it was not as significant as Docs2Go.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    If you want voice dialing capability, get a Bluetooth dongle such as the Jabra A210 - it works very well there.

As for reliability - in a noisy environment, voice dialing is not going to work reliably. No amount of training will make it work properly.

Ben
    There's a huge difference between VoiceSignal's VoiceDial and the competition. I have found that if I can hear the caller, and he can hear me, the Treo can hear me voice dialing w/o issue.....and you don't train VoiceDial .... there is a digits training option but you can't train it for words....it doesn't need it. I get about 98% accuracy on first command. Ony problem ithas is the user trying to call Ben Clinger when the name in contacts is "Benjamin W. Clinger M.D."
    There's a huge difference between VoiceSignal's VoiceDial and the competition.....
    Had a Sanyo MM-7400 that had speaker-independent recognition...no training required and worked very well. So far, VoiceSignal is about equal to slightly more acurate than my Sanyo phone.
    .....they coulda sold ya the Treo for $20 more
    OK...so $20 more for the unit and it would include voice dialing and work with BT...that's a no-brainer for me. Instead, there a $14 solution that DOESN'T work with BT...would have gladly spent the $6 difference..

but I imagine thier focus group testing or research said that the % of peeps that wanted it was not as significant as Docs2Go.
    In this circumstance, forget the "focus group testing or research"...Palm, look over your shoulder at the competition....that why you've included Docs2Go as well.
    I wish that were the only case. With my Nextel/Motorola i605, a business phone with a really outstanding Bluetooth implimentation, even it has problems with recognition. There have been times, though few and far between, when "Tracy Clinger" (my wife) went to the local Sears store. Voice dialing is nice when it works and it does not work all the time.

Ben

There's a huge difference between VoiceSignal's VoiceDial and the competition. I have found that if I can hear the caller, and he can hear me, the Treo can hear me voice dialing w/o issue.....and you don't train VoiceDial .... there is a digits training option but you can't train it for words....it doesn't need it. I get about 98% accuracy on first command. Ony problem ithas is the user trying to call Ben Clinger when the name in contacts is "Benjamin W. Clinger M.D."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12