1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone...

I did a search on several topics but could not find anything on this.

I have been seeing that there are quite a few people with problems of their Treo 650 crashing or reseting on their own.

With that being said.....my Treo 650 from Cingular arrives this week.

What are some of the must do things when you get it? What should you avoid doing?

If this has been posted elsewhere please let me know....I cannot find a guide for this from searching!

Thanks!!!!

mike
    Buy a good backup program. I use Resco Backup. I've had todo Hard resets on the road and within 5 min I'm up and running like nothing ever happened. Backs up everything on your phone from games to phone numbers.

Second regester it on Palms website, they used to give away free software when you did. I can't remember what they offered.

Third, check out MyTreo.net for tons of download. If you get Handzipper you can download and unzip files over the air 'OTA'

That should be enough to keep you busy.
    BTW my 650 resets about 2 times/day. But I'm running TONS of third party apps. If I left it alone it would run for weeks, but I have a toy and like to play
    Last edited by leardvr; 07/02/2006 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added links
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Backup program and an uninstaller if you plan on trying out various software. That'll go a long way to helping you keep your device clean. I recommend Resco for the backup and Northglide Uninstall Manager.
    Most crashes occur when 3rd party apps dont play well with one another. If your going to use your Treo in its "stock" format, you should not have any problems. Of course, your going to want to install 3rd party apps and this is where conflicts can pop up.

Are you upgrading from another Palm device? If so, you may want to make copies of your DAT files (memo, todo, address, datebook) and save them in a safe place. Some users uninstall previous versions of Palm desktop and do a fresh install of desktop that comes on the Treo cd. The after your 1st hotsync you can restore your DAT files and resync to get your previous infornation onto your Treo.

You may also want to check the firmware version on your phone and if need be update the rom to the most recent version, which can be found on the Palm website.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  5.    #5  
    Thanks!!!

I will try all of that. Right now I dont think I would put too many apps on this. I put a bunch of stuff on the Clie UX50 I had but ended up only using the calendar, contacts, memo stuff on it in the end...LOL.

I am a bit worried though as I have been reading that there are tons of problems with resets....hopefully that wont be the case.

As far as back ups.....I will need to get a Mini SD card correct? I figure I can pick one up pretty easy and I have seen many posts on them so I wont go there....but the backup program backs everything up to the card right? So when you have to reset you can get it back in a flash from the card.

Regards!

mike
    You can use a mini SD with an SD adaptor, but the 650 uses regular SD cards (should be cheaper and hold more than mini SD)
    but the backup program backs everything up to the card right? So when you have to reset you can get it back in a flash from the card.
    Yep backs up from your card.

Uses a normal SD card, nice and cheap
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    Charge it fully.

Read the manual. (obtained from the Palm.com support page for your Treo 650). Good idea to read now before you get it.

Download and install the essential software I think is important:

Uninstall manager (or Destaller) - to remove programs completely

Resco Backup or BackupMan or BackupBuddyVFS or NVBackup - Backup programs and make sure to schedule a daily backup and keep the archives (try to keep as much as you can maybe one for each week) so that if anything bad happens that you can easily restore from the backup (kind of like an image in Windows to restore it back to a previous state).

Get Preference Doctor as you will probably be experiencing your resets and suddenly find that you've lost your settings, registration ids for programs, etc. That will back up and retain your settings.

Also, Resco Locker can be helpful to "lock" certain problematic programs from causing resets. Normally, if running an application causes a reset, you may consider "locking" it and test whether the resets continue.

Keep a record of all your registration ids for programs somewhere (best to have it written down and in multiple places). People have been known to not be able to register their software after paying for them just because they lost their purchase info, etc.

Make a backup copy of your install CD. Way too many people complain that they've lost their CD so they no longer have VersaMail, Photo, Media, etc since the Palm website does not provide them in their Palm Desktop installation file.

There are lots more. You can get more info on what software to get, tips, tricks , etc in my blog
    Last edited by maceyr; 07/03/2006 at 01:20 AM.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Resco Locker - a good choice to use with some programs that are sensitive to nasty resets. Another application to play with is Memoryinfo. The DB cache is a major factor in your device's stability. In addition, a good launcher/memory manager is also a big plus - I use ZLauncher.

My Sprint Treo 650 was very, very bad about resets. Many times a day, yepper. I did some investigations and acted upon what I learned and now it is as reliable as a, well anyway, no more resets.

#1 - I went looking for an application that would give me maximum free memory. I tried the major players (except one) and decided upon ZLauncher - it is the heavy weight of the launchers.

#2 - I moved everything off of the main device memory to the ZLauncher application folder(s). I found two programs that did not like to play with ZLauncher, so I left them in main memory.

#3 - I installed MemoryInfo - lets me monitor my DBCache and clear it and a few other things.

#4 - Preference Doctor - got tired of loosing my saved preferences. Once I got use to its quirks, it has been behaving itself.

#5 - Resco Locker - I have only one application locked (HanDBase)

#6 - OnGuard - it is used to monitor HanDBase. What it does is monitors specific utilities as they are started/stopped and saves them to its SD card folder. Should a crash occur using HanDBase, I can use OnGuard/Restore to install the latest copies of the HanDBase files.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    Thanks BClinger and Mace!

I have been reading the manual last night and the new phone should be here on the 5th...hopefully I can get it from Fedex soon!

Backups are the key I am beginning to learn from EVERYONE here so I will look into the resco things!

Thanks sooo much!
    Hi Guttboy. I too just received a Cingular Treo 650 and after owning it for a week, I have had no issues with the phone crashing or reseting on its own. Maybe its a problem with the CDMA versions. The 600 I used to own before though did have this as well as other problems. Here's what I've done with the phone so far:

- Covered LCD with a screen protector
    - Synced it with the data from my 600
    - Downloaded latest version of Palm Desktop
    - Replaced VersaMail with SnapperMail
    - Configured proxy server in web browser for T-Mobile (may not apply if you are using Cingular)
    - Replaced Calendar with DateBk5 (note: the Calendar app on the 650 sucks big time, definately get 3rd party software, also DateBk5 hijacks your phone button so you need to install a patch to fix that as well)
    - Installed Directory Assistance and DayNotez apps

So far my Treo has been running beautifully. I've had none of the problems I did on my 600 which used to drive me insane (bad reception, annoying buzzing noise, crashes, constant dropped calls, horrible keypad, etc). I plan to add maybe one more app for playing mp3s and a new contacts app and I should be good to go for a while. Hope you love your Treo as much as I do mine.
    Last edited by alzi; 07/03/2006 at 09:56 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Alzi,

thanks!!! what is the best thing you like about the datebk5? I am used to the calendar function of the palm os but what are the pros of that? Is the patch for it downloadable from the company and EASY to install?

I am glad your treo is running well!....What do you like about directory assist?

I will be getting probably a bestskinsever clear coat for mine and then perhaps a case...I want to try to avoid tons of bulk on the phone if possible.
    I find the standard Calender app. just fine. Don't go out and buy a new calender app. until you give the standard one a go.
    Read the sticky in the 650 section. It links to all the important threads

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Jack...Ihave been through that more than once and am trying to navigate all the ins and outs of it. Tough to find consolidated information though...that thread is a good place!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Alzi,

thanks!!! what is the best thing you like about the datebk5? I am used to the calendar function of the palm os but what are the pros of that? Is the patch for it downloadable from the company and EASY to install?
    Guttboy, I too loved the standard Calendar app on my 600 but the version on the 650 is somewhat stripped down. For example, there are no floating events. I just wanted something that would provide me with all the features of the Calendar app I'm used on past Palm PDAs and that's the only reason I installed DateBk. The guy who sold it to me gave me a CD chock full of Palm apps which is where I got DateBk. I don't think its worth paying full price for though. I probably would have just lived with the stanard Calendar app that came with the 650 if I didn't receive DateBk.

I am glad your treo is running well!....What do you like about directory assist?
    Directory Assistance is a nice little app that allows you to find business and residential phone numbers, addresses, maps, driving directions, etc. through the YP.com server. Its freeware too.

I will be getting probably a bestskinsever clear coat for mine and then perhaps a case...I want to try to avoid tons of bulk on the phone if possible.
    I've always used just a thin piece of clear vinyl to cover my screen. Bought a yard long piece for a quarter and cut out covers for 3 PDAs already with enough left over to last me for years.

Yeah I'm looking for cases myself. I want to go with a leather case since they are the least bulky but I'm worried they won't offer much protection if I happen to drop it. Guess I'll just continue to carry it in my pocket for the time being.

Have fun with your new toy.
    For Pete's sake, don't even take it out of the box until you have a screen protector ready to slap on!
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    For Pete's sake, don't even take it out of the box until you have a screen protector ready to slap on!
    Don't most new devices come with a piece of plastic on the screen? Mine has. Most people usually just remove it without thinking.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Install TCPMP, load up a movie and take it to your office and show all of the BlackBerry users what you can do with a REAL phone....
    Lol. :d