Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am posting for the benefit of all those who have upgraded to the 700p as I have and found themselves frustrated with their bluetooth headset performance. The 'compatibility' lists are a joke at this point in my opinion. Who did the testing on them?

I was using a Jabra BT-500 with my Treo 650 successfuly before I upgraded to the 700p and it was a great combo.

Once I got the 700p, the Jabra behaved eratically and so my journey to find a working BT headset began.

Here's what I found to work/not work on the my 700p (I have read some things to the contrary from other posters, so these issues may be specific to my 700p, I would love to hear from others if they have success with the 700p/BT500 combo).

First, let me say that I am not evaluating clarity of the calls or pairing ability, as these are both givens in my opinion. Also, none of the headsets dropped out in the middle of calls, in my experience, I saw some posts they were getting cut-off. I think that's a reception problem. Also, please accept my apologies in advance for typos/spelling errors.

One conclusion up front: The one 'consistent' problem with the headsets I tried seems to be staying 'connected' to the 700p when the phone is in standby mode AFTER a call. (see below).

First combo I tried was:
    700p with my olde Jabra BT500:
    Appeared to work fine same as with my 650 at first and did not disconnect when in standby mode.

The problem came up on taking incoming calls. The phone would ring, followed by the headset. Problem was when activating the call on the 700p, the call would not transfer automatically to the headset. In addition, the buggy thing was the headset would keep ringing while the handset picked up the call. Wierd. I had to take off the headset to keep from getting distracted. While on the call, I would re-connect using the headset button and use the headset if it was a long call.

Trying to answer the incoming call using the headset button worked inconsistently. Ususally it would take too long to pick up and the call would go to voicemail. If I pushed it 2x, it would pick up hang up on the caller.

Outgoing calls worked fine, but I decided not to wait for the bug-fixes to find another headset.

I tried re-paring with no success, but I admit that at the time I did know to soft reset the 700p after pairing as some of you suggested. I bet it would work, because this incoming call problem is not consistent with the rest of the headsets and some posts indicate the BT500 works fine with their 700p. Have you tried taking a call?

Another slight bug I noticed on the BT500 once I compared to the other headsets is that the bluetooth icon turns into a headphones icon when 'connected' but on the BT500 it showed the old treo 650 icon.

Next I tried the
    Plantronics Discovery 640

I reall like the way this headset feels -- very comfortable. You barely notice it. It is slightly more comfy than the BT500. The headset worked great in terms of speed too, taking and placing calls seemed slight faster connecting to the handset than the BT500, all great except for one Achilles heel.

About 1-2 minutes AFTER taking/placing a call, it disconnects from the handset, regardless of how far it is from the handset. You can push the large convenient button to reconnect and it will stay connected, even overnight. Of course, until you place or get a call. Obviously this is quite annoying. I tried soft-reset and this behavior is quite consistent.

Plantronics Tech Support knew nothing about the problem. They did acknowledge that their headsets do not automatically re-connect when you bring the handset/headset after leaving the 30 foot radius. I thought that was interesting, since my BT500 will automatically 'see' the phone if I leave the area and come back. The support guy said I may have been going out of 'range.' I later deduced that this had nothing to do with it.

The new discovery 645 with the DSP technology is an unknown by me from first hand, but the tech did say the 645 has a shorter battery life and is exactly like the 640, so I didn't even bother to get it. I did see one post saying the treo version of the 645 (I assume it's the 645) worked for him/her.

Next, I tried the new
    Sony HBH-IV835

I really liked the speed, THE fastest connection to the handset, almost no delay! The disconnect problem was still there, though. But I almost got used to reconnecting by then.

Unfortunately I could not spend a great deal of time troubleshooting this headset becasue I spent most of my time trying to keep the thing from falling out of my ear. Maybe my ears are shaped funny, but I couldn't get the thing to stay in place longer than 5 minutes. Unlike the Plantronics, which has an 'ear' canal shaped rubber end-piece AND comes with an ear-loop which I used, the Sony ear piece is a round rubber shape that slips out of my ear easily and no ear-loop as backup.

If I was a robot with a round ear canal opening I am sure one of the 3 round sized ends would work fine. Sony provides a little 'necklace' attachment for the headset. I am not sure what it's for. In case you get tired of the thing falling out, you can wear it around your neck? It's dork-jewlery? I thought, that's it! Instead of an ear-loop I can put it in my ear with the necklace attached, so it won't hit the ground. I tried that. I don't thinkg that's the idea, cause I looked like a fool and the extra weight made it fall out in 1/2 the time. Another obvious fault, but a slight one, is that the button is too small and you kinda need a nail to push it.

Lastly, I tried the
    Jabra JX10

As some of you have already posted, this device actually worked flawlessly. I almost gave up and decided to wait/pray for a ROM upgrade. But then I read a few posts that said this headset worked for them. I have to agree afetr using this headset for a few days. I have no problems of any kind described above or otherwise.

It is just slightly less comfortable than the BT500 especially after extended time in my self-proclaimed funny-shaped ear. But I hope I can get more used to it with time.

It looks more stylish and unobtrusive in my opinion. I like the buttons and everything!

I am very happy with the sound clarity on my end but I am not sure about the quality of outgoing sound quality. It has DSP like the 645 and the Sony, so hopefully people can hear me on the other end. I am quite happy so far and would highly recommend it.

As mentioned earlier, I would love to hear from others if they have success with the 700p/BT500 combo or if the JX10 is really the only option out there right now. Not a bad one, though.

Mark
    Last edited by marklerman; 07/02/2006 at 07:42 PM.
    I think we are all just going around in circles trying to fix a problem that shouldn't exist. Palm must know about this issue by now and probably will deliver a fix at some point. I still love the thing but sometimes I wonder why a 600.00 dollar device with Bluetooth capabilites won't work as advertised.

TK
    hey i have had the same issues with the jabra bt500 . try this make a call hang up and then have someone send you a text message . how much you wanna bet it freezes your treo.( someone please try this and let me know it it happens to them) what is going on with the bluetooth and the 700 p?
    palm sprint or who ever else wont know unless we call and report it hopefully if enough people call the fix will come faster
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    I have the Motorola H500 BT headset. I should preface this by saying this is my first BT headset so I have no reference point for the performance (good or bad) of other headsets.

I have been generally pleased with the headset performance. I have had the issue that others have reported where the headset is paired but doesn't send the audio to/from the headset until a soft reset is performed. As previously reported by others a hard reset fixes this problem...but it will rear it's ugly head again later. I believe this to be a Palm issue that will hopefully be addressed with an update...soon.

Sound quality is decent. It always answers by pushing the button. I am pretty sure this is the 'entry level' BT Headset so I wasn't expected a ton of features and am pleased with it generally.
    Just picked this up from Best Buy for $9.99 (had a raincheck for it on a sale three weeks ago and they finally got more in) and it works great with the 700p. No disconnecting, no static and it sounds decent. I haven't tested range yet but when I do I will report back. Feels a little strange when first putting it on but then I got used to it. Cool headset for $9.99!
    I'm still depressed that I can't get my Moto H3 headset to work on my 700p. It actually makes the 700p reboot on an incoming phone call. This of course is after it mysteriously disconnects its connection from the phone. I wish they came out with an update already.
    life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...
    Well I bit the bullet and purchased the Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset from the Palm-Treo Web Store. SO FAR all is good. Sound quality is great on both ends. People don't know that I'm on a BT. PLUS I can actually walk away from the phone a good 20 feet (line of site) and still have clear sound. Note: if anything gets in between the "line of site" I got static. It never has disconnected thur far (only had three days). It does seem a hair slow when connecting/answering a call. I'm like saying "hello" five times before the connection is established (I sound like a knucklehead in public). And the best thing - I love the way it fits. I forget it's there in my ear.

Seems the Ultralight is a good $30 more expensive from what you can get the 645 for on the web. I paid it. Call me a sucker. But I do have it with the new "PALM" logo

The package come with a 3/4 inch manual/book and not a folded up 12x14 sheet of paper (yep, book - very rare now a days). The first 10% is all you need - the rest is other languages.

Charging Options - you only get two options. 1) plug into your own Treo charger cable (cable not included). 2) use the AAA battery pack. You do not get an additional AC wall cable charger or any other "end caps" options like with the standard 640 or 645. I guess that is fine.

FYI - Other BT headsets I have tried with my new 700p (VZW):

Plantronics Discovery 640 - I had the 640 first. Terrible. I could hear every one well and loud but no one could hear me. Said I sounded really really far away. And it would always disconnect. I would pair it with my wifes Sony/Ericsson and it worked perfectly.?

Motorola HS-850 - The 850 worked OK. People said that I sounded different but acceptable. Problem was I could not hear anyone. Coundn't turn it up loud enough and it felt like it was going to fall off my head.

Motorola H500 - Tried the 500 for five minutes. It seemed to connect fast. Volume was bairly acceptable (if I pushed it against my ear) but everyone said I sounded the worst on this one (in a far away tunnel).

Here is the link for the Ultra....

http://web.palm.com/products/Product...001&cat=280012
    Last edited by Pyroprophet; 07/02/2006 at 10:28 PM.
    Treo 600 (VZW) --> Treo 700p (VZW)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carterism
    Just picked this up from Best Buy for $9.99 (had a raincheck for it on a sale three weeks ago and they finally got more in) and it works great with the 700p. No disconnecting, no static and it sounds decent. I haven't tested range yet but when I do I will report back. Feels a little strange when first putting it on but then I got used to it. Cool headset for $9.99!
    Same here, just picked mine up today also after having a raincheck for it. No probs yet! Heck, for $10, even if it works some of the time I can't complain-
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marklerman
    Jabra JX10

It is just slightly less comfortable than the BT500 especially after extended time in my self-proclaimed funny-shaped ear. But I hope I can get more used to it with time.
    Have you tried it with Jabra EarGels instead of the earclip? Comes in three sizes, and one size might work like a charm. Someone else turned me on to them, and I love the JX-10 even more now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20
    bottom line is palm/sprint need a afirmware update fast that fixes bluetooth. these disconnect problems are firmware issues and it needs to be updated NOW. come on palm.
    I tried the BT500 for a week with my 700P. Took it back because of the constant static that I would hear in the background while making calls. The only time the static would disappear was if I held the phone up beside the BT500, which defeats the purpose of bluetooth.
    Anyone have any news on this new Sony Ericsson HBH-GV435 model coming out soon? I found pics on this link.
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/mobilit...hbh-gv435.html
    life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiweeman
    I'm still depressed that I can't get my Moto H3 headset to work on my 700p. It actually makes the 700p reboot on an incoming phone call. This of course is after it mysteriously disconnects its connection from the phone. I wish they came out with an update already.
    I had an H3 for a week and never had that problem with it at all - it worked fine on my 700p. Well, I should clarify that fine meant it didn't experience any lockup problems. Everyone I talked to on it reported a lot of echo on it. I exchanged it for a Jabra and the problem went away.
    The echo is a problem with some of these ear-loop headsets (I'm not sure if there's a better term for them) that don't have boom mics. When you turn up the volume too high, the sound from the earpiece (the person talking) leaks into the mic, causing an echo. I had this same problem on my Nokia HS-26W. Great headset, but everyone complained of an echo and it had to go. Nokia got wised and fixed this problem with the Nokia BH-900 which now has a sliding boom (which looks really cool IMO), except it's kind of expensive at $100-$120, especially compared to the $50 I paid for the HS-26W.
    I haven't tried any of the BT headsets you reference in your initial post so I don't mean to stray too far from the thread but I wanted to put in my vote for the Custom AX2 and the Treo 700. I needed a BT headset with clarity on the listeners end (business phone calls) with above average background noise cancellation. There is no better solution for me and it works perfectly with my Treo 700 (I got it for my BB7250 and got lucky that it works so much better on the 700p). I also use the Jabra EarGels someone mentioned earlier but am thinking about getting a custom ear fitting for even more comfort.

More info on the Custom AX2 is here:
    --> http://www.barjohn.com/

--> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...5&page=2&pp=15
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Here is what I posted in one of the many BT threads:

"Bought the Treo BT headset (basic) $55 from TreoCentral Store.
    The reviews I read were average but the convenience of using the same charger as the T700p was a big plus.
    For me the risk was about $25 because I was gonna buy a spare charger anyway.
    So far so good.
    Works great. Reception and sound levels are great
    Based on other threads- I never turn BT off on my 700p.
    No problems connecting.
    Initially had problems pairing (couldn't get the headset to show a solid light to pair-was about to give up then it worked)
    I am very pleased so far.
    Good Luck"
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    Have you tried it with Jabra EarGels instead of the earclip? Comes in three sizes, and one size might work like a charm. Someone else turned me on to them, and I love the JX-10 even more now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

I went out and got some eargels you recommended and put them on the Jabra JX10, and WOW! they are more comfortable than anything else I've tried, and I dont even need the earhook anymore! The only drawback is the headset protrudes slightly more than before, but I think it's not very noticeable. Thanks for the idea!

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by marklerman
    I went out and got some eargels you recommended and put them on the Jabra JX10, and WOW! they are more comfortable than anything else I've tried, and I dont even need the earhook anymore! The only drawback is the headset protrudes slightly more than before, but I think it's not very noticeable. Thanks for the idea!

Mark
    Nextlink ear springs also fit the JX10. They may be more comfortable for some users.

I also tested the JX10 and the IV835. I found the 835 to be the fastest at picking up the signal but I like the incoming sound better on the JX10. The outgoing seems to be about the same. I get some complaints about clipping or cutting out with the IV835 (too much DSP) and some complaints about background noise on the JX10 (not enough DSP).

I'm going to try the Palm Ultralight next.
    Yeah, that's the one drawback to the JX-10... the DSP seems to not filter background noises enough, so if you're in loud area, people complain they can't hear you well.

But in most places, people say I sound fine.
    I too have had some success with the Jabra JX-10. Light, small and comfortable. Sound quality is good for both sending and receiving. One big problem. If bluetooth is turned off on the Treo 700p and turned back on, there is a problem with the bluetooth connection. Specifically, if you make a call there will be no sound in the headset. You can even use the headset to do a redial but no sound. The little headset icon on the Treo will show up but it will never be dark blue in color. The only way to re-establish connection is to do a soft reset of the Treo. I have seen other posts with this same problem. I suspect that it is a Treo 700p issue rather than the headset.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast