Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I hope I'm not asking a retarded question, but would the JX-10 allow me to listen to Treo system sounds the way my wired headphones do, or is it only for phone call functionality? Would I need to get something like the Sony HBH-DS970 if I want to listen to music, games, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by addisonbr
    I hope I'm not asking a retarded question, but would the JX-10 allow me to listen to Treo system sounds the way my wired headphones do, or is it only for phone call functionality? Would I need to get something like the Sony HBH-DS970 if I want to listen to music, games, etc?
    Right now, you need a headset that has an A2DP bluetooth profile - this lets it play music over bluetooth. I have found no bluetooth headsets for phone calls that also have the A2DP profiles for listening to music.

So far as I know, there has been no additional software you can run that will cause system audio (like music) to be sent out over the phone headset profile instead of the A2DP profile.
    try this
    http://www.softick.com/download.php

per others. version 1.03 works on the 700p but 1.06 does not. you will also need
    BT Stereo Headphones. you can search about reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ratjer
    Right now, you need a headset that has an A2DP bluetooth profile - this lets it play music over bluetooth. I have found no bluetooth headsets for phone calls that also have the A2DP profiles for listening to music.

So far as I know, there has been no additional software you can run that will cause system audio (like music) to be sent out over the phone headset profile instead of the A2DP profile.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I just got an email about the Palm Ultralight. I was surprised to see that it looks exactly like my Plantronics Discovery 640. Does anyone know what makes it different, internally? I currently have all the same problems everyone else has with the 640 and the 700p. The idea of spending a bunch of $$, again, for something that looks the same, after I spent $650 for the phone upgrade, is just crazy.

[QUOTE=Pyroprophet]Well I bit the bullet and purchased the Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset from the Palm-Treo Web Store. SO FAR all is good. Sound quality is great on both ends. People don't know that I'm on a BT. PLUS I can actually walk away from the phone a good 20 feet (line of site) and still have clear sound. Note: if anything gets in between the "line of site" I got static. It never has disconnected thur far (only had three days). It does seem a hair slow when connecting/answering a call. I'm like saying "hello" five times before the connection is established (I sound like a knucklehead in public). And the best thing - I love the way it fits. I forget it's there in my ear.

Seems the Ultralight is a good $30 more expensive from what you can get the 645 for on the web. I paid it. Call me a sucker. But I do have it with the new "PALM" logo

The package come with a 3/4 inch manual/book and not a folded up 12x14 sheet of paper (yep, book - very rare now a days). The first 10% is all you need - the rest is other languages.

Charging Options - you only get two options. 1) plug into your own Treo charger cable (cable not included). 2) use the AAA battery pack. You do not get an additional AC wall cable charger or any other "end caps" options like with the standard 640 or 645. I guess that is fine.
    The Ultralight is the 645, not the 640.

I'm returning mine. It sounded fine (not great) but is incredibly slow to pick up calls. It's easily the slowest BT headset that I've ever used and I've tested a lot of them. If I'm on a call using the handset and want to switch to the BT headset, it takes about 5 seconds after pressing the button on the Ultralight before the call is transferred. It also takes 3-4 seconds to answer an incoming call using the headset. Couple that with the 3 hours of battery life and average comfort/stability and it makes the Ultralight a waste of money, IMO.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    So far, the SE HBH-300 is not compatible with the 700p:

According to Palm's website, only these are compatible with Treo 700p smartphones:
    Jabra BT-160
    Jabra BT-150
    Jabra BT-350
    Jabra BT-500
    Jabra BT-800
    Jabra JX10
    Motorola H500
    Motorola H700
    Motorola HS-850
    Palm Treo Headset
    Palm Ultralight Wireless Headset
    Plantronics Explorer 320
    Plantronics M2500
    Sony Ericsson HBH-660
    Sprint Earglove BlueVoice
    So far, I have tried the H500 and the H700 with no good luck.

They both reacted similarly. Specifically, after being paired and working normally before the 700p and/or headset was shut off for the day. Upon turning both the 700p and the headset on the following day there was a problem with the pairing. The 700p still retained/recognized the headset as a "trusted" device in the bluetooth setup program but the headset would only function as designed on incoming calls. If I were to dial a number from the 700p I would not hear it ring or the party answer through the headset.

When I attempted a re-dial of the last number via the headset...the 700p would in fact re-dial the last number and connect the call but no audio is heard on the headset and the caller could not hear me through the headset.

When I called Palm support to advise them of these problems I mentioned that these headsets are listed on Palm's website as being compatible with the VZN 700p. Every support person that I spoke to did not even know about a list of compatible headsets that are posted on the Palm site.

Palm support also stated that there are not many complaints about the compatibility of BT headsets and the 700p (I think B.S)

They do acknowledge that there is work in progress for some software fixes but unknown when that will be available.

They also stated that compatibility/paring problems would happen if a previous version of Palm Desktop was used with a previous device. In my case, I have the Garmin iq 3600 and used Palm Desktop. When I first set up the new Palm Desktop that came with the 700p a tech rep stated that I needed to rename the backup folder for the previous Palm Desktop software.

That was done.

The point is....the last tech rep that I spoke to regarding compatibility BT issues looked at the notes on my previous calls and stated "humm...it says here that you have a Garmin .....and used a previous version on Desktop, you were told to rename the backup folder because if you didn't that would cause BT compatibility problems"

I told the tech that folder was renamed...and BT problems were still there.

All he could say then was "hummmm" and offered no other solution.

I also called Motorola and of course they "say" they haven't heard of BT compatibility problems with the 700p. All they could suggest was to return the headsets....which I did.

Still looking for compatibility.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have emailed this thread and other threads related to BT headset problems and the 700p to this link. Let them hear your voice on this issue.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...l_support.html
    I bought the Plantronics DSP 645 online for $89 and have been using it for a few days. So far, it works great! I really like it Ė itís easy to use, is comfortable and no one Iíve spoken to has even noticed that I was on a headset.

The 645 does come with an AC charger, but doesnít come with the adapter to make it work with a Treo 700 AC or car charger. I emailed Plantronics via their web site and they are sending me a Treo adapter.
    The Palm Ultralight (same headset as the 645) comes only with the Treo adapter and without any AC adapter.

It worked fairly well but the weak battery life and marginal stability in my ear made me return it. It sounded pretty good on my end and to the people who I called though. It also took FOREVER to pick up an incoming call or transfer a call to the headset.
    I also has the 645, but decided to go with the JX-10 because the 645 picked up the calls to slowly.
    I went from Plantronics 640 which disconnects intermittently back to my old Treo basic BT headset and so far the basic is working well. No disconnects and was told it sounds better on the other end than the 640.
    Have used the Blue Butterfly II for several days without problems. Calls sound clear on both ends. Easy to operate. Cost $50 on the Treo site. I am VERY happy with it. Would LOVE the new Palm Ultralight, but for $130? Get real, it's WAY overpriced. Save yourself some dough and try this puppy!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I've been using the JX10 for almost a month. I had it on for 7+ hours one day on a long car trip. It pairs, sends and receives flawlessly every time, the sound quality is great and it answers befor the phone ever rings.
    I haven't found anything to top the TWH w/ Jabra ear gels on the 650 and anyone I have seen using it on th 700 hasn't complained.

Well I did complain today when I was wondering why I couldn't hear anyone thru the Treo handset and then after looking at my screen I could see by the icon on my screen that my Treo was sending the sound output to my TWH which was in my car while I was supervising a concrete pour.....the car BTW was 100 feet from where I was standing. If they can see each other that far away, I starting to wonder just how strong those BT radio waves are with that thing sitting on my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I haven't found anything to top the TWH w/ Jabra ear gels on the 650 and anyone I have seen using it on th 700 hasn't complained.

Well I did complain today when I was wondering why I couldn't hear anyone thru the Treo handset and then after looking at my screen I could see by the icon on my screen that my Treo was sending the sound output to my TWH which was in my car while I was supervising a concrete pour.....the car BTW was 100 feet from where I was standing. If they can see each other that far away, I starting to wonder just how strong those BT radio waves are with that thing sitting on my head.
    Do you have any pics of your TWH with the ear gels installed? You're talking about the older one and not the new Ultralight (645), correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Do you have any pics of your TWH with the ear gels installed? You're talking about the older one and not the new Ultralight (645), correct?
    JackNaylorPE,

Yes, I too am trying to picture how you possibly installed the Jabra eargels on the original TWH- glued them on?!? ;-)

Neo
    Yes the older one. And No, just put the gels on...there's probably dozen threads on here describing it. Walked into radio shack, asked for "Jabra Assorted Sizes 6 Pack".....IIRC Medium CY-14 (that's stamped on inside of gel) fit just fine sliding gel over TWH "protruberance"...the speaker sticks out maybe 1/8" and is maybe 3/8" in diameter...I just slipped gel over the sticking out part and was good to go....it's fallen off 3 or 4 times when in my pants pocket but otehrwise satys on fine....been on there 16 months or so except for biweekly washings in hot water / soap.

Stock numbers are posted in an earlier thread.
    I'd love to see a picture of that as well. I can't visualize it.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 07/12/2006 at 09:05 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'm in the same boat except with the HBH-660. Adding the ear gel to that made it perfect on my 650 and that remains the case with my 700p.
    Yes the older one. And No, just put the gels on...there's probably dozen threads on here describing it. Walked into radio shack, asked for "Jabra Assorted Sizes 6 Pack".....IIRC Medium CY-14 (that's stamped on inside of gel) fit just fine sliding gel over TWH "protruberance"...the speaker sticks out maybe 1/8" and is maybe 3/8" in diameter...I just slipped gel over the sticking out part and was good to go....it's fallen off 3 or 4 times when in my pants pocket but otehrwise satys on fine....been on there 16 months or so except for biweekly washings in hot water / soap.

Stock numbers are posted in an earlier thread.
    Son of a gun...I've been going crazy thinking I needed to buy a new headset to get better volume and clarity. Well, after reading this post I dug through my desk drawer and found an old Jabra wired headset, pulled of the gel earpiece as described and suddenly feel like I have a new headset! The sound is so much louder which is critical for me while driving in my Jeep Wrangler (which is quite noisey on the highway). I just hope the sound going out is good for those I'm calling.

One question...my old Jabra gel earpiece has some protruding edges around two opposing sides (used to ensure it is correctly oriented on the Jabra headset). Did you cut these off to ensure a tighter fit on the TWH or did you just leave then on?

Thanks for the tip. I can't believe it too me this long to see this mentioned, but better late than never. I'm still looking for the "perfect" headset, but this will help me last a few weeks or months longer while prices go down and feature sets go up ;-)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast