1.    #1  
    I'm not yet a a 700p owner nor a Sprint customer, so please forgive my denseness in deciphering these plans.

I'm close to "pulling the trigger" and making the move to Sprint and a 700p (paying Cingular a cancellation fee and abandoning lots of rollover minutes!), but I still do not understand something. Here is the on-line conversation I had recently with a Sprint salesperson: (names changed)

Sprint Agent> Katie has joined the call.

Subject: Web Chat> This is a prospective Sprint PCS Customer, with the subject: Purchase New Phone/Service, in zipcode xxxxx

Sprint Agent>Ron Wood has joined the call.

Katie>Thank you for choosing Sprint now Together with Nextel web chat. My name is Katie, how may I assist you with your Sprint.com order today?

Ron Wood> I'm looking at a Treo 700p (and another phone) with a Family Calling Plan. On the 700p, I am trying to understand the Sprint Power Vision choices; specifically, does the "Unlimited Data Plan for Phone as Modem" include what is offered in the Sprint Powervision Ultimate Pack, or does one have to order both the Ultimate Pack AND the PAM option?

Katie> One moment please while I check this for you.

Katie> You would only need to have the Unlimited Data Plan as Modem for $39.99. I have a code for you to give you a $50 credit on your first bill with the purchase of the Treo700 today. I will be happy to walk you through your order to make sure that the code is accepted.

Katie> Have you picked out your voice plan?

Ron Wood> Katie, it will be the first week of July before I can make a purchase; I was gathering information today. You have been helpful; thank you.

Katie> When you come back online to place your order, please chat with us to make sure that you have all the available promotions. My name is Katie, please ask for me, I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Ron Wood> Will do. Thank you.

Katie> You're welcome. You never know what specials we may have at that time.

Yet, if I have read/understood threads here (and elsewhere) correctly, the PAM option is $40 on top of whichever PowerVision level I choose. If I'm wrong, please set me straight. A total charge of $40/month would obviously be much better than $40 + ($15 - $25 PowerVision plan fees)!

I'm so confused ! Any help appreciated!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee10
    You would only need to have the Unlimited Data Plan as Modem for $39.99.
    Sounds to me like you only need the $40 plan and you would get both PV on the phone and on your computer.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee10
    Yet, if I have read/understood threads here (and elsewhere) correctly, the PAM option is $40 on top of whichever PowerVision level I choose. If I'm wrong, please set me straight.
    That's right, the PAM is in addition to whatever Vision plan you may choose.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    If it turns out that Katie is wrong, then at least you have something in writing with which to argue some special treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Sounds to me like you only need the $40 plan and you would get both PV on the phone and on your computer.

This is my understanding as well... I asked this question today at a sprint store, and basically, $39.99 includes the powervision plan and lets you use your phone as a modem.

I'm still wondering if it's possible to do without paying the full $39.99...
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo
    This is my understanding as well... I asked this question today at a sprint store, and basically, $39.99 includes the powervision plan and lets you use your phone as a modem.
    ...interesting. That's exactly the opposite of what I've been told by 4 CSR's and in a Sprint store, as well.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    ...interesting. That's exactly the opposite of what I've been told by 4 CSR's and in a Sprint store, as well.
    Generally speaking, CSR's, especially Sprint CSR's don't really know what they're doing. I bet if you asked enough Sprint CSR's, you'd probably get different responses like

A. PAM includes handset and DUN usage
    B. PAM is for DUN only, you'll need a PV plan
    C. You don't need a PAM option on your plan
    D. PAM isn't available for your phone
    E. Sprint doesn't offer PAM
    F. What's PAM?

I originally though that PAM was an addition to PV, but everything else I've been hearing indicates that it includes PV on the handset and DUN usage.
    ok I can say this and I know it's right because I have the paln for 4 months and here's how it go.

$39.99 PAM does include unlimited power vision (or vision) on your handset and unlimited usage for DUN on your laptop or desktop.

But it doesnot include picture mail and sprint tv pack. So if you need picturemail added it will be $5/month and if you want to add sprint tv pack I don't know how much but it would be on top of PAM plan (but about 4-5 channels and 1 sirius hit channel available that already come with PAM but you know all of them are crappy anyway)

so that how it go, hope that's help
    so my question is somewhat different. i've been Treo 600 owner for years. I currently have a vision plan with unlimited data but no other options (eg. picture mail) for $10 per month. if I upgrade to a 700, do I need another vision plan (eg. power vision) in order to use the evdo network?

thanks, Mike
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    so my question is somewhat different. i've been Treo 600 owner for years. I currently have a vision plan with unlimited data but no other options (eg. picture mail) for $10 per month. if I upgrade to a 700, do I need another vision plan (eg. power vision) in order to use the evdo network?

thanks, Mike
    Theoretically, you don't need to change your plan...if you do an ESN swap, you should be able to keep your old $10 vision plan. However, if the rep is smart, they'll switch you to the PV plan (hopefully they'll tell you they're going to change your plan, unlike the rep that activated my A900), which would cost you $15 a month. If you want picturemail, it would cost $20 a month.

Basically, yes, you're supposed to have a different plan for powervision.
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyjust
    ok I can say this and I know it's right because I have the paln for 4 months and here's how it go.

$39.99 PAM does include unlimited power vision (or vision) on your handset and unlimited usage for DUN on your laptop or desktop.

But it doesnot include picture mail and sprint tv pack. So if you need picturemail added it will be $5/month and if you want to add sprint tv pack I don't know how much but it would be on top of PAM plan (but about 4-5 channels and 1 sirius hit channel available that already come with PAM but you know all of them are crappy anyway)

so that how it go, hope that's help

That's exactly what I have and exactly what I was told
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  12.    #12  
    I appreciate all the feedback. On one level, it's revealing of all the confusion that exists because of Sprint's lack of clarity in explaining their programs:
    1) their website is ambiguous in distinguishing between the PAM and other PowerVision options (they group them together in the shopping choices menu, making PAM look like "the next step up" in the various PowerVision levels); and
    2) the on-line sales consultant I quoted apparently was giving me misinformation; apparently even CSR's do not understand the plans.

That confusion is reflected, then, in the varying responses we've read here. But yuyjust and Bigchris' replies seem the most accurate, inasmuch as they are using the plans.

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Last edited by dundee10; 07/03/2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Only been a Sprint customer (wireless) and 700p owner for just under 2 weeks, but from reading gobs of messages here (and other forums) ... and from my own experience - I almost believe you have to practically tell the CSR folks what you want and "how about including that in my plan for free" type of thing. Don't like the CSR's response? Hang up, call back and talk to someone else.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    $39.99 PAM replaces the Power Vision plans. I originally signed up for the $25 Power Vision, but replaced it with the $39.99 plan because I use my PAM a lot! Right now in fact. I recently moved and haven't decided whether or not I want to shell out another $40 a month for a home broadband account. So far, my PAM has been working flawlessly! I am even using USBModem to tether my Mac with my 700P for faster broadband access. So far, I can't complain about the 700P broadband service.
    thanks, Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Theoretically, you don't need to change your plan...if you do an ESN swap, you should be able to keep your old $10 vision plan. However, if the rep is smart, they'll switch you to the PV plan (hopefully they'll tell you they're going to change your plan, unlike the rep that activated my A900), which would cost you $15 a month. If you want picturemail, it would cost $20 a month.
    Basically, yes, you're supposed to have a different plan for powervision.
    trevante that is not at all true. EVDO plus pictures and 500 texts is between $0 and $10 for Mike.

since mike is an existing customer "for eyears" with grandfathered unlimited vision he is easily eligible for the retention powervsion pack and add ons offered especially for customers such as himself.

mike get to retentions. say you want the plan they have to upgrade to evdo for existing ulimited vison customers. This is plan is called "powervision pack" it is billed at $10 and you can get anything from $0, $5 or $10 reccuring credit. You also get the picure mail pack which they add for free giving you both picture and video mail. standard replacment for unlimited vison is also the 500 text plan which is free as thee is a standard $8 credit.

If yo have paid your bills on time and are in contract the maximum you will pay to change to powervsion with pciture AND video and 500 texts is $10 per month. If you are out of contract you can score this for $5 or $0 fairly easy.

thanks, Mike
    Hey Mike - I'm in tha same boat, and last night the Soprint CSR gave me a Treo 700p for $299 plus a $75 dollar service credit, so it works out to $224 for the 700p. Also gave me free unlimited roaming, free unlimited power vision, free unlimited texting, free nights starting at 7pm, and free pcs-pcs.

This will decrease my bill by $15/month and give me a 700 for $224!!

just tell em you can get a better deal from verizon

-ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    trevante that is not at all true. EVDO plus pictures and 500 texts is between $0 and $10 for Mike.

since mike is an existing customer "for eyears" with grandfathered unlimited vision he is easily eligible for the retention powervsion pack and add ons offered especially for customers such as himself.

mike get to retentions. say you want the plan they have to upgrade to evdo for existing ulimited vison customers. This is plan is called "powervision pack" it is billed at $10 and you can get anything from $0, $5 or $10 reccuring credit. You also get the picure mail pack which they add for free giving you both picture and video mail. standard replacment for unlimited vison is also the 500 text plan which is free as thee is a standard $8 credit.

If yo have paid your bills on time and are in contract the maximum you will pay to change to powervsion with pciture AND video and 500 texts is $10 per month. If you are out of contract you can score this for $5 or $0 fairly easy.
    What we've both said is correct....I'm saying that if he just switches phones outright, he will need to change his plan, unless he does an ESN swap and manages to get away without changing his plan. You've simply said that since he's been with Sprint for a while, he can call retentions and ask for freebies. If he doesn't ask for those freebies, they probably won't offer them to him.

I've been with Sprint a few years myself and when I switched from my 8300 to an A900 (A900 is PV), the rep at the store certainly didn't offer me anything, nor did she even tell me she switched my plan to a powervision plan (I only found out when I suddenly started getting charged for text messaging that was included in my previous vision plan, but not in the new one). Of course, if I called Sprint and went to retentions right now, I could easily get free text messaging and some other discounts if I tried.
    Trevante.

I think your problem is you dealt with the store. you might want to check sprintusers as to why if you are an existing custoemr you should never ever deal with the store except to pickup a handset whose price you already secured through retention.

The plan I mentioned for $10 is not a "freebie." It is the standard rention replacement of grandfathered powervision like Mike had.

If you had unlimited powervsion, like he has and I had for $10 you will get unlimted evdo, the pictures pack which adds unlimited picture and video mail, and 500 texts. If you are in a positon to get freebies they would be this plan for $5 or $0.