1.    #1  
    I wanted to know if anyone have try to change the Treo 700p to a 700w.

They both uses the same hardware, just different software.

It would be neat to use the 700w for web surfing and use the 700p for other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtborg
    I wanted to know if anyone have try to change the Treo 700p to a 700w.

They both uses the same hardware, just different software.

It would be neat to use the 700w for web surfing and use the 700p for other things.
    Actually, the hardware IS different....the 700w has a lower-resoution screen, primarily because the OS can't support the Palm's higher-resolution 320x320 screen from what I understand. So based on this OS/hardware incompatibilty with Windows Mobile, I don't think you could get it running on a 700p device even if you could completely replace the ROM.
    It would be one amazing hack. I am sure it could be done however. The emulator runs fine at 320x320. Maybe its time to talk to Shadowmite. He has deserted PalmOS recently for the PPC6700. Maybe this project could tempt him back.

Here's WM at 320x320 from the emulator.

http://surur.sytes.net/wm320.png

Surur
  4.    #4  
    I would think that if someone that was able to go from Window mobile to a treo 650 with the software style tap , it could be doen.

can't the software down grade the screen to a lower res?

From what I know the cpu is the same , just the screen.
    I played with the 6700 and liked it as far as wm5 goes. If their comes a window based treo with a higher res screen, and more memory for the multitasking capabilities...by by POS. Its more work to get what you won't as far as ease of use in comparison to POS, but that is not why I am currently on POS. Look what old POS has gotten us...no wifi, unstability with applications, no multitasking, and a 700p with some issues. If the 700w had higher res and more memory...it would be a better buy IMO.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6.    #6  
    true, but the 700w has a 240 x 240 screen and less memory.

When I use the 700w to search the web the picture don't look very good.

If the 700p had a better web, it would be the perfect Treo for me.

Only Microsoftw would come out with software that limited the screen res.

I can from a Dell X50v , can't see going to a 240 x240 screen.

I think that why so many people have brought the Tre0 700p instead of the Treo 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews
    Actually, the hardware IS different....the 700w has a lower-resoution screen, primarily because the OS can't support the Palm's higher-resolution 320x320 screen from what I understand. So based on this OS/hardware incompatibilty with Windows Mobile, I don't think you could get it running on a 700p device even if you could completely replace the ROM.
    Actually, WM can support 480x480 if Palm wanted it, but it would have been too expensive (or so I've heard), so instead, they released an underpowered device that's still expensive.
    true, but the 700w has a 240 x 240 screen and less memory.

When I use the 700w to search the web the picture don't look very good.

If the 700p had a better web, it would be the perfect Treo for me.

Only Microsoftw would come out with software that limited the screen res.

I can from a Dell X50v , can't see going to a 240 x240 screen.

I think that why so many people have brought the Tre0 700p instead of the Treo 700w.
    It's not Microsoft that crippled the 700w, it's Palm.
  9.    #9  
    I think that people would had pay more for a 480 x480 screen, people had brought the jas jas for $1200.

Why sell some thing underpowered.

Only Microsoft would do that.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    It's not Microsoft that crippled the 700w, it's Palm.

I thougth Micosoft said that it was to expensive to put in a 480 x480 screen.

Window mobile only support 240 x240 or 480 x480 and not 320 x 320.

I am sure thaqt palm can run 240 x 240.

thx.
    J.
    WM supports 240x240, 480x480, or 240x320. Seeing as the Palm screen is 320x320, why couldn't they just map the pixels so that WM used the center-most 240 pixels horizontally and the full height of 320 pixels vertically? That, or give us a a slightly narrower screen with additional hard buttons along both sides. Considering the majority of WM devices are 240x320, and most software works best at that aspect ratio, Palm did a disservice of going 240x240.

Palm's recent earnings statement shows that sales of the 700w have been dissapointing... well gee, Palm execs, I wonder why? Do you listen to your users? How can you successfully sell a crippled WM device when the competitors are so much superior in terms of the WM platform? Palm would have had it in the bag if they gave us the right 4:3 aspect ratio and more RAM, which clearly could have been done.

Since the other great WM platforms out there are pretty bad as phones, and the Palm solution was a bad WM implementation, I had no choice but to go 700p as that had everything I needed. My first choice was the 700w, but its limitations were perplexing and bothersome.

I also need easy Mac compatibility (syncing and PAM) if I'm ever to use a WM device.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I played with the 6700 and liked it as far as wm5 goes. If their comes a window based treo with a higher res screen, and more memory for the multitasking capabilities...by by POS. Its more work to get what you won't as far as ease of use in comparison to POS, but that is not why I am currently on POS. Look what old POS has gotten us...no wifi, unstability with applications, no multitasking, and a 700p with some issues. If the 700w had higher res and more memory...it would be a better buy IMO.
    I co-sign this statement....if it wasn't for those two things, I'd definately take a w over the p....I mean, Microsoft is actually updating their OS to add more functionality and other things, while Palm is using PalmOS as a dust catcher, and isn't improving their hardware much either.
    The possibility of the mod is definitely a possibility. But I view it more of as a means to get a 700w onto sprint. You could get a 700p and a 700w, and swap the 700w over to be on sprint with the modem out of the sprint 700p... As for making a dual bootable device, it's possible, but really kind of far fetched.

As others mentioned the screen is different, but the biggest thing is the use of nvfs is quite different between the two. They can not co-exist in their present states...
    I thougth Micosoft said that it was to expensive to put in a 480 x480 screen.

Window mobile only support 240 x240 or 480 x480 and not 320 x 320.

I am sure thaqt palm can run 240 x 240.

thx.
    J.
    No, Palm designed the 700w, not Microsoft. MS provided the OS, but it was Palm's decision to use the lowest resolution possible.
  15.    #15  
    I agree with what you all are saying, but I think it was Microsoft and not Palm that made the choice to go with the 240 x 240 screen.

I had a podcast were the project manager said that it was to expensive to go 480 x4980.

He also said that it was difficult to program WM 5.0 to work with 320 x320.

Palm did the best it could with the 700W.
  16.    #16  
    Shadowmite,

Great you have answer my thread.

I just thought that the cpu is the same that it could be done.

Like style tap did with a Window mobile PDA to a Palm OS.

Can a emulator be made to do it?

I bet that people would pay for that.

Some of the new software only work with WM and not POS.

thx.
    J.
    If anyone is interested in the REAL story as to why the 700W is 240 x 240 then you have to read the explanation from MS directly found HERE
    "We actively talked about doing 320x320. But we decided against it for a number of reasons. The first was that there's no good backward compatibility story for it. You can pixel double, but "pixel one and a half" doesn't work very well. The next was that there's not much of a growth path for 320x320. Hardware vendors told us that they had no plans to make 640x640 screens (where they do have plans to make 480x480 screens)".
    It's certainly not as clear-cut as people make it to be and has to do with where WM started and is heading vs. where Palm started and got to. Read it and it'll make sense. Basically, WM has lower res now but will be higer res than Palm in a year or so (unless ALP/Palm linux goes for higher, of course).

If you're just a tech junky, it's a great discussion of PDA/WM history.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter