Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got my clear skin from BestSkinsEver and installed in on my 700p. I ordered it on Thursday ad it came on Saturday.
    So far its awesome. Adds NO bulk, retains original appearance while making it look like a glossy automotive clear-coat is applied.

It takes some skill to apply the smaller die-cut pieces. The instructions say only a little water/soap solution is needed. I found that dipping the skin in the solution and lightly squegee it with a damp finger works the best. This allows the skin (small pieces especially) to be applied and moved/slid in place. It gives you more time before the adheasive sets up and since it can slide around more easily, it prevents the smaller pieces from stretching. I found this out the hard way. Only caveat is that it takes longer to dry and the piece can slide around while placing other pieces. You should really wait 15-30 minutes before appling another piece to prevent knocking the previous one out of placement.

Pros:
    Inexpensive - cheaper than anyother nylon/leather/pleather case i've seen
    Unobtrusive - almost can't tell is on by looking at it. Adds no bulk
    Looks - does add a glossy clear-coat look when light reflects on it at an angle
    Feel- adds a nice grippy feel making a more secure feeling while in-hand
    Acurate - die-cut pieces fit exceptionally well provided you don't stretch them accidently

Cons:
    Installation - Not easy to install if you have poor eyesight and low dexterity
    Streching - small pieces strech easily. Once streched...forget it because it's not easily re-trimmed with sissoes or a blade. This suff is very tough.
    Wrap and flap pieces - pieces that wrap or flap over contours are sort of tricky to apply. Care and patentient is the key.

Overall:
    Considering the price, I would highly recommend this product. It's a great value especially for those who don't want a bulky cover to protect their investment and are OK with a do-it-yourself like installation. If you've got some patience, dexterity and pair of decent reading glasses (to magnify your eyesight) then you can't go wrong for the price. even bought a skin for my dad's iPod. A skin for my Treo and dad's iPod was under $15 shipped. That's helluva deal.
    +1.
    Pleased the way it turned out.
    OT, but they have DS Lite skins now!
    Pictures already right here in an older thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...8&page=2&pp=20

I use these too. Installation took a bit of time, but overall was easy and straight forward.

So far, after a few weeks of using these, I absolutely love them. I'm back to just keeping the phone in my pocket again. It doesn't stick to my pocket when I pull it in/out and doesn't collect any lint. No signs of them peeling off yet and they still look as good as new.

And they're cheap too!
    Thanks totally...I think I am going to order.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I wish they had a piece that covered the antenna. My antenna already has a couple of nicks from hitting things.
    You guys will be happy. Like mentioned before, It takes a little effort, but nothing extraordinary.
    I used one of those flat shallow pyrex baking dishes, filled up halfway with water with some dawn detergent in it. Peeled away, soaked it in this and threw it on the treo. Mopped it with a bounty and good to go. I removed the battery though and did not put it back in for about 2 hours on a sat AM. It looks and feels fabulous.
    Yeah, applying it is easier after the first time you have done it. Also, you can buy a pre-made solution for applying the BSE, from Shieldzone.com. People at iPodLounge and other forums have reported that spraying the BSE with Windex also works well for applying them.
    BSE are awesome. I found them incredibly easy to apply to my 700P.

I filled a sink basin 3/4 and added dish detergent to get an application solution. The toughest part of the application was getting the pieces off the backing.

I use my device naked so these are great. I'll see what my device looks like after 2 yrs. since my naked 600 was trashed.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    adding soap/dish washing detergent or even windex...will taht cause any harm to the phone's paint/coating etc?

thanks.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk
    adding soap/dish washing detergent or even windex...will taht cause any harm to the phone's paint/coating etc?

thanks.
    mild soap is usually PH balanced so I would assume that its totaly safe. Windex, on the other hand is not, I would not use it.

However, when you apply the BSE, the moisture/liquid evaporates over the course of a day or two so I don't see how anything could realy harm it in the long term.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    hmmm...
    i have this clear shield applied to my car...
    the installer used alcohol to do this...
    i dunno. since everyone is using soap/water, i guess it would be harmless
    I am still awaiting mine in the mail...the alcohol application doesn't sound bad to try?
    at&t iPhone3G
    I ordered it but it sounds too easy to mess up the first application. Maybe I should have ordered two.

Somebody mentioned something about leaving a certain piece for last. Well, I suppose I can search it out and print out the threads before I begin. Sounds like quite a project.
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by brisk
    hmmm...
    i have this clear shield applied to my car...
    the installer used alcohol to do this...
    i dunno. since everyone is using soap/water, i guess it would be harmless
    I have the same over my 5-series front-end. The installer used soap on my car. I gather you use alchohol in cold weather applications because it evaprates faster for a car installation.
    However, I wouldn't use ahchohol on the BSE for that same reason. Plus the instructions specifically say to use water/soap.
    I haven't a clue what alcohol could to the adhesive or filmThe installation takes time and you don't want to rush it.
    I suggest applying two or three of the pieces at one time and them letting them set-up for about 30 - 45 minutes so they don't slide out of position while applying the remaining cut-outs. .

BTW...the "clear bra" material on my car is the same product used for the BSE ...3M stuff...really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I am still awaiting mine in the mail...the alcohol application doesn't sound bad to try?
    Alcohol and plastic does not sound like a good combination to me. I'm not sure though. Some people mess up laptop screens with alcohol, that's why many wipes say "alcohol free."
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    Alcohol and plastic does not sound like a good combination to me. I'm not sure though. Some people mess up laptop screens with alcohol, that's why many wipes say "alcohol free."
    Thanks...that is a good point that I did not think of. When it gets here...soap and water, here I come...its just the thought of soap and water on my device. I am going to be conservative with the application.
    at&t iPhone3G
  18.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    I ordered it but it sounds too easy to mess up the first application. Maybe I should have ordered two.
    Here's some other tips from my personal experience of the application:

Do the larger pieces first; start with the battery door. This will get you the feel of how the whole thing works.

Keep you fingers wet so you don't transmit your prints onto the sticky side.

They say to use a little solution (soap/water). I dipped the whole thing real quickly and let it drip-off. You can even squeegee it off with your finger. It'll take longer to dry, but it will float around longer and easier allowing you to fine-tune the placement. Using a little or not enough solution will adhere it enough to make it difficult to make minor adjustments and eventually stretch it out as you fight to place it accurately.

Just take your time and let a good 30 minutes elapse before you try the next piece. The patience and time pays off and you lessen the chance that you'll knock a fresh piece out of allignment.

The sides pieces are narrow and delicate and have a lot of contours. Get them decently wet becuase they are the hardest to position acuratley and are easliy streched beyond their intended shape. I made a mistake by trying to be too exact with the fitment and didn't wet it enough. I was forced to trim it with an exacto afterwards becasue it set-up too fast and I stretched it out tyring to reposition it.

You can squeegee the bubbles out after 15 - 20 minutes with a credit card or similar. The advesive at this point is just right to be able to stick-down onto contoured surfaces or flap-over pieces should they pop-up. You can massage the pop'ed up areas or, get a bundeled up dishrag and press the area in question with light/moderatre pressure and hold it for a 15 - 30second count. The bundeled up rag will form to the contour and disribute the pressure evenly on the corner/contour plus wick-up any solution that may be squeezed-out.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    yea come to think of it, the solution the installer used was something mixed. like i think he said it was 70% water and 30% alcohol or something. but i did install this before on my a900, and i dunked the whole thing in soap water, but it was TOO wet to apply and water got everywhere. so this time, i think just spraying the sticky side should be good no?

p.s. milenkoD, isn't taht clear bra awesome? i love it. it protects my front, but i get chips elsewhere on the hood. how far back does your clear bra go on your car?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast