1.    #1  
    Thanks to this TC post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...52#post1036952, I found a wonderful free ringtone site, www.ringerpost.com

There's a huge selection, and they even have a phone uploader on the site. I've been able to import .aac files, but the format on this site is .m4a

Can someone tell me how I can convert from .m4a to .aac?
    i believe .m4a is .aac...at least on a Mac it is.
    Neill, If you use iTunes to convert a file to aac (which comes out as an .m4a file). Just use sprintusers.com/focus to upload it to your phone. It will convert it to a GCD file, dont worry it will be the same and sound great.
    From Wikipedia:

MPEG-4 Part 14, formally, ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003, is a multimedia container format standard specified as a part of MPEG-4. It is most-commonly used to store digital audio and digital video streams, especially those defined by MPEG, but also can be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. Like most modern container formats, MPEG-4 Part 14 allows streaming over the Internet. The official filename extension for MPEG-4 Part 14 files is .mp4, thus the container format is often referred to simply as MP4.
    File extensions

While the only official file extension defined by the standard is .mp4, various file extensions are commonly used to indicate intended content.

* Audio generally uses the .mp4 and .m4a extensions.
    o Audio that is protected by FairPlay Digital Rights Management as sold through the iTunes Music Store uses the .m4p extension.
    o Audio book and podcast files, which also contain data such as chapter markers, images, and hyperlinks, can use the extension .m4a, but more commonly use the .m4b extension.
    * Video generally uses the .mp4 and .m4v extensions, sometimes also .mp4v.
    * 3G mobile phones use 3GP, a simplified version of MPEG-4 Part 12 (a.k.a MPEG-4/JPEG2000 ISO Base Media file format, MPEG-4 Part 14 is a derivated standard from ISO Base file format too), with the .3gp and .3g2 extensions. These files also store non-MPEG-4 data (H.263, AMR, TX3G).

The common, but non-standard use of the extensions .m4a and .m4v is due to the popularity of Apple Computer's iPod and the iTunes Music Store.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i did a search over in that forum and couldn't find help to get m4a ringers into my treo 650. i try downloading the files (it seems all ringers are in this format now) onto my mac desktop and then my treo says it doesn't recognize the format when i move them there. any help? please? thanks!
    I have had success e-mailing them to myself as an attachment. When I open the attachment with the Treo, it asks if you want to accept the file into your ringers (or something like that, it has been awhile). I have also had success by using one of the uploader web sites like sprintusers.com/focus. When you click on the link in the message they send, you are asked if you want to download the file and then should be asked if you want to accept the file into your ringers (or something like that).
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    do you have a treo 650 or a more recent model treo?
    I have a 700p.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    ah, yes. and therein lies the problem, i believe. i think they started that compatibility w/your model. but when i try opening that file format in my 650, it says it's unsupported.
    Sorry to hear that. Because of all the initial problems with the 650, I skipped it and went from the 600 to the 700. I guess Palm showed me! After the update, it seems the 650 is much more solid than the 700.