1.    #1  
    I've read threads that folks are having problems with the backup software on the 700p. Has anyone figured out if there are particular apps that might be involved in preventing backup software from running on this device? I have 3 backup software programs and NONE of them will do automatic backups... BBVFSPro, BackupMan, CardBackup. I have deleted them all with the Applications program and reinstalled the apps, recreated schedules and preferences. Still nada. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I didn't want to go through all the hassel of figuring out which apps were giving me problems, so I tried NVbackup, and have not had any problems with any of my apps or large medical databases. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    I've read threads that folks are having problems with the backup software on the 700p. Has anyone figured out if there are particular apps that might be involved in preventing backup software from running on this device? I have 3 backup software programs and NONE of them will do automatic backups... BBVFSPro, BackupMan, CardBackup. I have deleted them all with the Applications program and reinstalled the apps, recreated schedules and preferences. Still nada. Any suggestions?
    I can't speak for the other 2, and you may have already known this, but BackupMan won't do automatic backups if on the card, only when in RAM. I use it on my 700 with no problems.
    Last edited by kdallen; 07/02/2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Auto backups going through OK with BackupMan on my Sprint Treo 700p.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'm using BBVFSPro and the scheduled backups are working. I had an issue with the bluetooth file creating an error initially but Blue Nomad corrected it. I'm currently running version 3.3.1.17.
    Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Backupman has been recently updated to be compatable with the treo 700p.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    Well, something is wrong with my 700p then. I'm assuming software incompatibility, but I don't know what the problem is yet. I have the latest version of both BackupMan and BBVFSPro and no workie on the auto backups. Thanks for the feedback, let's me know I need to figure out the app issue.
    All,

Mosey on over to the Resco Forums for a small bit of discussion on this issue. You do NOT have to own a Resco product or, for that matter, want to buy. Jan, one of the developers there, has a nice discussion as to why this is happening to everyone. It makes for a good read and an educated user. I have learned a lot there. For those having problems, the PalmPowerUps.com softward, unCache has been helpful.

While it is true that NVBackup works, it uses a previously inaccessable portion of the NV Memory in the palm. In the grand scheme of things, it works but the warnings are enough to scare the willies out of a normal user. Many, like doctoss, have had good success with it. I tried it and found it was unable to remember the shortcuts I had created with ZLauncher even after using the update shortcuts command. One person suggested that I loose ZLauncher and use another launcher instead. Sort of like asking you to loose your favorite hat. I love ZLauncher and am comfortable with it.

Another solution to backing up has been done by Bill Petro and simply involves doing a warm reset and then doing all your backups in the framework of the wrrm reset. Obviously, no scheduled backups can be done in this framework, but at least you get a clean backup. It is safer than having a reset during the backup cycle with possible write errors to the card.

The original question of "which apps" cause these problems can be answered simply by saying that almost all apps that operate in the background can eat up dBCache and fragment it and cause a crash. This, sadly, is not the problem with those applications but a problem with the inability to of the dBCache to unload the background applications and unfragment the cache. Any application that runs in the background and is always on such as chatter, Butler, PhoneTechnician will cause problems. They are simply doing what they are supposed to do. Unfortunately, the cache is filled and when not enough is available to load the foreground application, a crash or reset occurs.

Regards,

Jim
  9.    #9  
    I did a hard reset and reinstalled all my prc files and recreated the Saved/Unsaved Prefs files and preferences for each app. A pain overall, but now my 700p works! Both BBVFSPro and BackupMan do nightly scheduled backups without incident and several other system issues are resolved that were a real pain. Plus, I got rid of a bunch of crap I wasn't using. This process is like Spring Cleaning for my PDA... sometimes I just have to knuckle under and do it but it's always worth it in the end Thanks for feedback to all who provided it!
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    I did a hard reset and reinstalled all my prc files and recreated the Saved/Unsaved Prefs files and preferences for each app. A pain overall, but now my 700p works! Both BBVFSPro and BackupMan do nightly scheduled backups without incident and several other system issues are resolved that were a real pain. Plus, I got rid of a bunch of crap I wasn't using. This process is like Spring Cleaning for my PDA... sometimes I just have to knuckle under and do it but it's always worth it in the end Thanks for feedback to all who provided it!
    CAn you please explain how you recreated the saved /unsaved prefs files and preferences ?
    also why are you using bbvfspro and backupman i thought one was enough?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    And I foolishly hoped that after the months and months of getting NVFS stable on the 650, Palm would not muck up so badly with their next release. There must be some changes to the OS to accomodate the larger memory - but come on! Palm can blame third-parties all they like - but with a year-and-a-half since the 650 released, Palm has to take some responsibility for doing a little testing with common third-party applications. Unless the 50MB of internal memory is really intended for the PIMs and some pictures, there's a pretty good chance users intend to install applications Palm doesn't make.

Or does Palm just like taking the commission without any care for whether their users get hosed in the process?: http://software.palm.com/us/html/ (Do a search on "backup" and find most apps on this page).

Client side backups to external cards on Palm devices have been common for *many* years - and apparently Palm changed around the memory architecture (yet again) and rushed the 700p out the door without crucial testing (yet again).

I never really understood that cartoon with Charlie Brown playing football with Lucy until I entered the world of Palm devices.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Hey all... Per Jim/DrCJ's post the Resco forum thread is quite educational, but it does not answer the main question in my mind: What app should I be using?!

Is the group conclusion that virtually all backup apps need an update for the 700p? Are there any that are there? BackupMan has been updated, but folks are still having issues. I'm using Resco and it barfs most times at the end of the backup cycle and sends the phone into a reset loop (and the backup set is corrupted).

Being able to backup to a card has saved my **** more times than I can count, and not having a reliable automatic way to do it is giving me fits! :-p

~O
    I have used BackupManager since the days of the 600 and it works well on the 700p - Talkin73P - is it installed on the card or in main memory - automatic things MUST be in main memory in order to run, i.e., respond to alarms, schedules, et cetera.

Ben
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    CAn you please explain how you recreated the saved /unsaved prefs files and preferences ?
    also why are you using bbvfspro and backupman i thought one was enough?
    When I did a hard reset, ALL files were wiped out and the OS, by default, recreates a brand-spankin' new version of Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences... so that's how I did that. I then reinstalled files from a manual backup that I did with BackupMan, but ONLY the prc and pdb files I knew went with specific apps. Any system databases or other unidentifiable "crap" (for lack of a more technical term) I did not restore. Then, re-entered all my passwords for software and recreated preferences in all applications. It was an afternoon job but all is well since.

I use two backup programs (previously used 3, but the maker of CardBackup hasn't updated to work on the 700p or responded to my email about it, so gave up on that) for redundency. If you have one reliable program that backs up and restores reliably, you should be good to go. I had an incident where my backup program had stopped backing up for several weeks and I did not realize it because the backups were scheduled overnight. Then, I needed it to restore and it was weeks old. Since then, redundent backups for me! Mostly just paranoia
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by oyinbo
    Hey all... Per Jim/DrCJ's post the Resco forum thread is quite educational, but it does not answer the main question in my mind: What app should I be using?!

Is the group conclusion that virtually all backup apps need an update for the 700p? Are there any that are there? BackupMan has been updated, but folks are still having issues. I'm using Resco and it barfs most times at the end of the backup cycle and sends the phone into a reset loop (and the backup set is corrupted).

Being able to backup to a card has saved my **** more times than I can count, and not having a reliable automatic way to do it is giving me fits! :-p

~O
    To clear the air on my side, BBVFSPro 3.4 and BackupMan v2.1 seem to work for scheduled nightly backups and have done so perfectly since I did the restore process noted previously. No problems with either of them. BackupMan worked for an "Individual File" restore and a "Full" restore as well. Haven't tested BBVFSPro for restore.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I have used BackupManager since the days of the 600 and it works well on the 700p - Talkin73P - is it installed on the card or in main memory - automatic things MUST be in main memory in order to run, i.e., respond to alarms, schedules, et cetera.

Ben
    I have copies of all my backup programs in RAM and on the SD card. RAM because of the issue you mention above for automated/scheduled tasks (some programs like BackupMan are smart/kind enough to let you know it needs to be in RAM and copy it there for you when run from the card). SD card because if you only have a copy in RAM and your RAM gets wiped out, you need a copy of the app to launch in order to access the backups
    There is a new release of Resco Backup out today that addresses the problems discussed above. It and BackupManager also allow you to copy the application to the SD card, /Palm/Launcher. The ONLY reason I tried Resco Backup is because BackupManager does not backup JAVA files and that's a bit of a problem for me.

Ben