Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently had a support experience regarding my 700p that was simpy dreadful. I'm wondering if other users have experienced anything similar. I've used Palm devices since the old Pilot 1000, and if this is the direction their support is going, The 700p will likely be the last device I purchase.
    I purchased my 700p via Verizon Wireless, and was provided with the CD containing the Palm Desktop software, VZ Access Manager, tethered mode driver, etc. Recently I lost that CD, right before I needed to install on a new laptop for a trip. Foolish of me, I realize, but not the end of the world in the age of the internet, or so I thought. Unfortunately, Verizon makes VZ Access Manager available via the web, but not the 700p modem driver. Upon calling Verizon I was told they were not allowed to distribute it, and I'd need to contact Palm. Palm, unfortunately was interested in nothing but selling me a $20 replacement CD. No online download, no email, no possible way to get this driver save for paying $20 and waiting unti it arrived (too late for my trip). I spoke with managers, and made somewhat of a ruckus trying to get someone on the phone who could understand the situation. Unfortunately, no one was willing to deviate from the call script, which required me to purchase a replacement CD. To me, it seems, in the age when everyone has their software downloadable on the web, it seems deeply foolish for Palm to take this stance. Is this an isolated incident, or has Palm support really gotten this backward?

It's enough that I'm considering returning my 700p, and I'm deeply skeptical of any future Palm products. Am I overreacting?
    Go to the VZW store (not an uthorized reseller) and see if they can help you.

If not, post here again and with the filename you need.
  5.    #5  
    Dude, thank you SO much for putting this up here. I trekked all the way out to my office, found what I thought was the right disk, and when I got home it turned out to be the interactive welcome guide. I'd probably have just gone ahead, sucked it up and ordered the replacement, if I didn't need it for a trip I'm going on tomorrow morning. Again, thanks much for sharing.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I guess I'm an old fart. I'd never start a thread about worthless support after I misplaced a CD, and post that the company would replace it for $20 and complain about that. But I had an original US Robotics Pilot, so I really am on old fart. Sheesh.
    Apple iPhone, Apple Bluetooth
  7.    #7  
    If you're an old fart you're in good company. I've been a dedicated PalmOS user about as long as you have. I've owned the Pilot 1000, the Palm III, Palm V, Treo 600, and Treo 650 before this. All along the way, all the tools I needed were available for download online. These days drivers are *always* available for download online. By refusing to make a critical driver available for download to a registered device owner Palm has set themselves up as the definite exception to the rule. It's enough to change my opinion of the company for the worse. Do you really think I'm overreacting?
    Quote Originally Posted by cknipe
    ... I've owned the ... Treo 650 before this... all the tools I needed were available for download online
    Gotta disagree with you on this one. I had a 650 about 3 months after they came out (updated from a 600), and found I'd misplaced my CD when I needed to install it on a loaner computer while mine was in the shop. I went online, and it wasn't there. Found someone had posted a message on here, and was able to get it that way. Later, when I found the CD, I burned an ISO image in case it happened again.

Later, MUCH later, Sprint put it on their website.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Stop losing your stuff, then complaining about poor support, and it's not an issue. Sure, the Internet is useful. But personal responsibility comes first. Double Sheesh.
    No, you are not expecting too much. For as much as the device costs, you should expect good support - including online drivers.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    they should have all the supported software available to registered owners online when they are ready to go live shipping the product. Not to mention, lowering the cost of a replacement disc, 20 bucks? for a cd/dvd? pleeease...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Kids these days. Triple sheesh. What do you cats not understand about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? You're not entitled to a free replacement when you lose something, period. Sure, it's convenient that companies use the Internet and we can get support that way, but don't B!tch here when YOU lose youerCD and can't get an immediate, free replacement or download, re-f-ing-gardless of what you paid to start with.
    Last edited by jay_man2; 07/01/2006 at 08:38 PM.
    Relax... People lose things. A nominal fee for the CD is one thing. $20 is a different story. Would you be upset if it was $50? $100? Or do you think a company can charge whatever it wants because you happened to lose a CD?

Most companies provide downloads these days. We should expect no less from Palm especially for a $650 device.
    i think the real question is why are you complaining about palm? you didn't buy your phone from them. i have never had a problem getting drivers online...but then again, i use sprint
  15.    #15  
    I suppose I just don't understand where the lecture on personal responsibility comes from. I'm aware I shouldn't have lost the CD. That was my error. That said, the standard practices in this industry provide a safety net for consumers in my situation. It is standard practice among anyone that builds a hardware device that requires a driver to provide those drivers online, free of charge, because:
    1. There is no way to apply bugfixes to CDs that are already in the field.
    2. People lose the damned things.

Look at it this way. It's currently standard practice for companies to provide telephone support. Given the choice of who to do business with, would you choose to do business with a company that only provides support via paper mail? Regardless of who's fault the problem is, it's poor support, plain and simple.

As for why I didn't obtain the driver from Verizon, I tried. They actually do make VZW Access Manager, and modem drivers available for most phones they re-sell. They told me they couldn't give me the palm driver due to copyright issues. Palm had declined to allow them to distribute it.
    Dude, thank you SO much for putting this up here. I trekked all the way out to my office, found what I thought was the right disk, and when I got home it turned out to be the interactive welcome guide. I'd probably have just gone ahead, sucked it up and ordered the replacement, if I didn't need it for a trip I'm going on tomorrow morning. Again, thanks much for sharing.
    your welcome. i know how it feels.
    I suppose I just don't understand where the lecture on personal responsibility comes from. I'm aware I shouldn't have lost the CD. That was my error. That said, the standard practices in this industry provide a safety net for consumers in my situation. It is standard practice among anyone that builds a hardware device that requires a driver to provide those drivers online, free of charge, because:
    1. There is no way to apply bugfixes to CDs that are already in the field.
    2. People lose the damned things.

Look at it this way. It's currently standard practice for companies to provide telephone support. Given the choice of who to do business with, would you choose to do business with a company that only provides support via paper mail? Regardless of who's fault the problem is, it's poor support, plain and simple.

As for why I didn't obtain the driver from Verizon, I tried. They actually do make VZW Access Manager, and modem drivers available for most phones they re-sell. They told me they couldn't give me the palm driver due to copyright issues. Palm had declined to allow them to distribute it.
    stop sweatin' all these people that are bashing you for losing your CD. what if your CD was damaged, or the disc was somehow corrupt and DOA? just let this go. Palm has the Palm Desktop available for download. They are just trying to milk money for the media. The CD is useless for anyone other than a Treo owner anyway, so hence why i put it out there for anyone in cknipe's predicament.
    [As for why I didn't obtain the driver from Verizon, I tried. They actually do make VZW Access Manager, and modem drivers available for most phones they re-sell. They told me they couldn't give me the palm driver due to copyright issues. Palm had declined to allow them to distribute it.[/QUOTE]

i could be wrong...but i am gonna call bs on that. i would talk to someone else at verizon.
    I too have lost my disk in a recent move. I was wondering if there was anyone who had the files that could work on a Mac? Or possibly if someone who has the disk can make a disc image of the disk and upload it? I don't think the files previously posted will work with my mac, but I could be wrong....
    I'm one of the most responsible people I know, but that wouldn't stop me for a SECOND from expecting Palm to replace the CD. My dad taught me a valuable lesson as a kid--if you're going to buy something, buy the best one of it's class. That way, it'll last longer, but more importantly, the company who makes it will treat you better if something should ever happen.

Guess what? he was right. i always adhere to this rule, and it always works. Calling the 700p best in class might not be applicable, but calling it most expensive is, which is the point anyway. There's no excuse for those files not be handy for download. All they'd have to do is force you to register the phone to get them. No big deal.

Harping on this person--or triple sheeshing them--is just lame in my opinion.

split
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast