1.    #1  
    Try this excercise on a Treo 650 and a 700p:

1) Launch blazer
    2) Hit menu-v (View bookmarks)

Notice on the 650 it a very difficult balancing act and stretch. On the 700p it is very simple to use menu shortcuts.

Thoughts?

P.S. - I also noticed they changed the "swipe" system font character to now look like the menu button.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Interesting theory, although I don't find menu-v to be a tough key combo, and I have fairly short fingers. Even if it does make some combinations easier, I don't think it's worth the tradeoff. After all, the change from the 600 to the 650 (exact opposite of 650 -> 700) was widely praised.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    I don't seem to have a problem "balancing" my treo in one hand and doing any key combo.

I think they moved the menu button because it made sense from a design perspective.
    They probably wanted the send/end on top, the app buttons below
    therefore leaving the only place available for a menu button....one of the "old" shift keys.
    Joshua Miller
    jemiller@jem.phoenix.az.us
  4.    #4  
    I think I like the new layout much better now... I find the dedicated phone buttons much less confusing. I was always messing up my phone operations.

Ergonomically I find hitting the menu key and then v as easier... I guess that's what ludus is for...

Got a question.. not really related, but is there a good website or resource that lists all the blazer key combos?

For example:
    menu-v brings up bookmarks, but did you know that menu-v-v bring up the "Goto website" dialog box?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I switched from the 600 to the 700P, so from my perspective the menu button didn't move at all.
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
    I switched from the 600 to the 700 also...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Typing any key from the bookmarks view opens the "go to" dialog...not just v. However if you want to type a web address just hit spacebar from the page view (regular view) in Blazer. Also, backspace goes back one page and "n" goes forward one page. Menu-h goes home. Menu-r refreshes. Just hit menu and look through all the menu items to see all the keyboard shortcuts.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Bookmarks in Blazer as the reason for moving the menu key? C'mon, that's a little silly.

The reason is simple: it's for the dummies. Red and Green for hangup and pickup (as is the position of left & right buttons for these actions) are the consumer accepted method for regular phone usage. Remembering keyboard commands is something noobs don't tend to appreciate, that's what the stylus is for.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Bookmarks in Blazer as the reason for moving the menu key? C'mon, that's a little silly.

The reason is simple: it's for the dummies. Red and Green for hangup and pickup (as is the position of left & right buttons for these actions) are the consumer accepted method for regular phone usage. Remembering keyboard commands is something noobs don't tend to appreciate, that's what the stylus is for.
    that seems the most likely reason i've heard so far.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    The reason is simple: it's for the dummies. Red and Green for hangup and pickup (as is the position of left & right buttons for these actions) are the consumer accepted method for regular phone usage.
    I mostly agree... though I'd change "dummies" to "masses". Palm is going after as wide an audience as they can. Most cell phone users want easy-to-use, see this survey by JD Power and Associates. I think the 700p layout was designed to match up as closely as possible to the 700w.

BTW: I find these methods as the fastest and easiest ways to get to bookmarks:

Space bar then 5-way center
    -or-
    Space bar then Enter/Return key

ERic
    Spacebar-center and spacebar-enter only work to display the bookmarks page if you do not have the address bar visible at the top. Otherwise it highlights then reloads your current page.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I switched from the 600 to the 700 also...
    and?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I don't like the menu button on the 700p, because I now have to open my magnesium case just to use it.(the case is open on the 5-Way, etc...)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    Spacebar-center and spacebar-enter only work to display the bookmarks page if you do not have the address bar visible at the top. Otherwise it highlights then reloads your current page.
    Ahhh... interesting. Did not know that. I long ago unchecked the option to show the address bar. IMO it's a worthless waste of screen real estate. On the rare occasions when I want to type in a URL it's simple enough to navigate to the globe icon to get an "address bar".

If they were really smart, they would have made the green button the phone button instead of having a green button, a red button, and a phone button :-\.

I bet you if you hand a 700p to someone that's never used a Treo before, they'll immediately press the green button when trying to make a phone call, only to find out that there's another phone button.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    If they were really smart, they would have made the green button the phone button instead of having a green button, a red button, and a phone button :-\.

I bet you if you hand a 700p to someone that's never used a Treo before, they'll immediately press the green button when trying to make a phone call, only to find out that there's another phone button.

It does seem pretty dumb on palm's part...
    The real question is: why do I have to press the menu key to bring up the bookmarks in Blazer? If I'm not in a textfield, then pressing "V" should suffice.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Moving the menu button back to the bottom may offer a slight improvement in efficiency if you've memorized the shortcuts and are using the device in two-handed mode (e.g., doing other typing), but the 650 location is better when you're holding it one-handed and want to navigate the menus using the D-Pad.

Personally, I used LudusP to assign my Green button as the Menu button, but also left the hard Menu button as-is rather than reassigning it as a Shift key, partially because I don't use Shift (I use KeyCaps700 to shift) and also because there's still the Shift key on the left. This way, I can use the Green/Menu key at the top when I want to hold my device one-handed and navigate through some menu options, or use the Menu key at the bottom if I'm holding the Treo two-handed for typing (though I usually reach up to the top even when holding it this way out of habit).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    The real question is: why do I have to press the menu key to bring up the bookmarks in Blazer? If I'm not in a textfield, then pressing "V" should suffice.
    Because the V button is also the 9 button, and the numeric keys need to be available for accesskey links (those shortcuts common on WAP pages, like pressing 3 on the mobile TC home page to go to the forums).
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster