1.    #1  
    I am considering buying a 650 from Cingular; I already have a Sprint 650. I am going overseas soon, before the 700P will arrive with Cingular. Can I get a different SIM while overseas for the Cingular 650, and then return it to normal upon returning to the US?
    Contact Cingular support. Depending on how long you've had your phone (in some cases, as I've read in this and other forums Cingular might be suspicious if you do this too soon after purchase). If you indicate you travel extensively and are unwilling to pay the Cingular international rates overseas and want to use prepaid local country SIMs as needed, they will usually provide a subsidy unlock code (via email). This will allow you to travel, buy local prepaid SIMs and then upon return to the US, put your Cingular SIM back in and all will be good.

I travel to the Philippines regularly and had to do this. It took about a week start phone call to finish email to get this done. I'd only had my 650 a month when I did this.
    Also, where are you going? In Puerto Rico and some other places there's not even any need to worry about it. We were there last Fall and my Cingular 650 worked fine.
    Funny, free ecards for weird situations. No registration required. - UncomfortableSituations.com

Pop culture hangman using Flickr pics - SearchVoyeurMan
    I called them and I did qualify for the unlocking of my phone. They said “they will fill out a request form and e-mail me the details. This process takes 5 to 7 days.”

Simple and easy.
    Keep on them. I went through this process this when I first got my phone and they said everything would be taken care of, but I never heard from them again. I haven't had a need to follow up with it, but I'd recommend keeping any records you may have from the conversation till it's done.

Best of luck.
    Funny, free ecards for weird situations. No registration required. - UncomfortableSituations.com

Pop culture hangman using Flickr pics - SearchVoyeurMan
    I recently went to ireland and requested an unlock code. they never emailed me like they said and I had to call them back a week later. They then said my request had been approved and they gave me the unlock code over the phone. So I would be sure to follow up with them.