1.    #1  
    It looks like the 700p has the following types of internal memory:

64 MB NOR Flash: System Image (Apps can be executed directly from NOR)
    64 MB NAND Flash: User storage and user apps (User apps need to be loaded into RAM before executing)
    32 MB RAM: Used as cache for apps and databases, user apps on NAND and SD storage must be loaded into RAM before running. (SD apps are not cached though)

My question is basically, is my understanding correct, and how does this effect performance. I'll use Docs2GO as an example.

1) Docs to go is stored in NOR Flash as part of the system image. This means that it should be able to run without loading into RAM first.. (Directly run off flash).
    2) If I upgrade Docs to go, it will now be stored on NAND Flash internal. This should mean that the first time I run it it will be slower than running the built in Docs2Go, but subsequent accesses will be much faster.
    3) If I move the helper apps to SD, It will be generally even slower because the helper apps will need to be loaded to ram each time I run them.

Is my understanding correct? Am I better off with the older veriosn of Documents ot Go that is built into the NOR Flash?

Thanks,
    Brandorr
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/01/2006 at 02:48 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone? Is this the wrong forum for this question???
  3.    #3  
    bump
    I think, from the first post, you have a good grasp on the memory system of the Treo. I will say your point about subsequent accesses only applies if Docs2Go is still in cache..but still, I've never experienced a "wow, that sure loaded faster than that other time" moment on my Treo.

3) applies to all applications, utilites, helpers, or even games. I have a game in main memory that I play so often, I waste time unnecessarily loading it from the SD card when the 700p has plenty of space. This wasn't the case on the 650, it needed to be on the SD card due to low memory.

My opinion: you won't really notice a difference if you're loading an app from memory or running it from the ROM. One might argue that running it from RAM will fill up the dbcache and make the Treo less stable, but there's so much of it on the 700p (about 20MB) that it really doesn't matter. Make your decision based on whether you need the upgraded features in the newer version versus the built-in one.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  5.    #5  
    May I ask what game?
    Hehe, that would be: Bike Or Die - http://bike.toyspring.com/

Best game EVER!
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
  7.    #7  
    I gotta say the screenshots don't do it justice!! It's amazing..

P.S. - I am interested in getting started with Palm development. I have a unix background.. mostly scripting (perl/ruby/python).. I see you have been playing with Java. Do you recommend this path? Are there alternatives? (I used to hack around in C back in the day)... I basically want to be able to whip up useful miniapps as I find the need.. (Like you are doing).. Any tips on getting started?
  8.    #8  
    bump
    Oops, I hadn't seen your post. Actually, I'm not really sure I recommend Java... I got into it because I knew Java and I really really wanted some hourly forecast action on the Treo... I figured it all out, but I can't say in retrospect that it's the best way to go about things, though it is pretty cool that If I do one day move on to Pocket PC territory, I can probably continue to use my code.

But for fast, easy mini applications, I've seen no better solution for the Palm other than handheld-basic: http://www.handheld-basic.com
  10.    #10  
    Can handheld-basic support background operations? IE: I'd like to rewrite your RottenTomatoes app to update once a day in the background.

I have a sinking feeling, that I will need to get CodeWarrior and write armlets to do what I want to do.
  11.    #11  
    g-funkster, I found something that may be of interest to you.

Check out http://www.superwaba.com/

Since you are a java coder, it looks very interesting. (It would be great if you'd port apps to superwaba, so we can compare it to the IBM JVM.)

(I know this request is a little presumptious)
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/10/2006 at 07:09 PM.