1.    #1  
    I just got my 2GB SD card yesterday and spent some time moving things to the card to (hopefully) open up space in RAM to make my 650 run quicker. Not sure if it is quicker, but...there's now about 10megs free in Ram.

When I move things to the card via Zlauncher's file manager, it give you the option of moving it to /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps/ or to Palm/Launcher/. Does it matter? What's the difference? I have them all in Palm/Launcher/, just by random choice. They all have shortcuts back in RAM.

Of course, themes and icon sets I've moved have gone into /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Theme/ and /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/IconSet/, accordingly. I wasn't sure if moving pictures (that I view through Splash Photo and use as background images) to /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/BackImage/ would make it tough for Splash Photo to find them.

Thanks for any help.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    As for Splash Photo, I am not sure.

But for your other question, it is really a matter of preference.

If you put it into the Launcher folder then they won't need a shortcut to run. YOu will also see them when you turn off Zlauncher and look for files on the palm card in your regular screen. If you move it to the Apps folder then they create a shortcut and when you turn off zlauncher you won't be able to find it or use it until you turn zlauncher back on.

Good luck.
    All completely false.... completely.. *sigh*

If you moves files to the ZLauncher directory, it can also move associated PDB's which can save you a lot of ram. So personally I always move something to that option because it saves more ram.

It does not make the files unavailable if you're not running ZLauncher, although I don't see why one would exit ZLauncher for any reason. But the shortcuts work without ZLauncher, and in fact will work without ZLauncher on the Palm at all. They are their own little program which handles the moving of stuff. And they are resident in ram so they do have a minor disadvantage of taking up some ram space; about 8k on average.

BTW, there are some files I move to /palm/launcher.. They are ones that I might need if I pop my card in someone elses Palm, such as Explorer, Filez, some other assorted things.
    i am so happy i use the search button. so the answer is .... depend on what you want to do? I guess if you have Zlaucher you wouldn't need the Palm's default launcher. but for newbie..until I know all the options. thx for the answer!

One question, should we only move the apps. that I don't use often? since it seems to copy it to RAM everytime I click on the short-cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    i am so happy i use the search button. so the answer is .... depend on what you want to do? I guess if you have Zlaucher you wouldn't need the Palm's default launcher. but for newbie..until I know all the options. thx for the answer!

One question, should we only move the apps. that I don't use often? since it seems to copy it to RAM everytime I click on the short-cut.
    It copies it to ram to execute it, but it doesn't stay there.. If it does, something is wrong. The proper way to move something to the card is to use the ZLauncher "Move to card" menu option, I've seen some people doing some strange things to move stuff to the card.

BTW, you still "need" the Launcher, you just don't have to use it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the help. I understand both now (basically, moving things to the zlauncher apps folder moves associated files and moving it to the launcher folder doesn't), but why would you ever NOT want to move all associated files, etc? I mean, is there any kind of launch speed trade-off? If not, it's kind of like wondering why you wouldn't want a free order of fries with that...
    There is a speed tradeoff, depends on how many files on how significant it is. Personally I would rather wait a few seconds than have to not have the stuff I have installed available.
    Aren't there some apps for which it is best to keep the PDBs on the card, for example, apps that trigger notifications? I haven't had any problems with any apps I've moved to the ZLauncher Apps folder, but I've read the above caveat several times in discussions of ZLauncher.