1.    #1  
    Hi,

Is there a tool allowing to add programs to ROM without compiling new customized firmware and making a complete flashing process? Just copy and paste to ROM, maybe it sounds funny but is it possible? Making new firmware, flashing, restoring... very tedious process. I want it to be faster!

Thanks.
    RomTool.

But, don't add anything to your Rom.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Why not to add??? Why is the RomTool then?
    I would add some applications to ROM so that they are ready for work after a hard reset.
    All your questions are answered in this Thread:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=Romtool
    I typed "RomTool" in 'Advance Search' and choose 'Titles Only'
    The RomTool is more for taking 'Unwanted Apps' out, not shoving things back in.
    Too many things in Rom could cause instability.
    If you just want to put just a couple things in for 'Hard Reset' survival, that should be fine.
    Just call me Berd.
    Is there anything that can resize the ROM partition to fit the size of the smaller, stripped ROMs? I seem to remember reading something about a program that could do that but now I can't find it. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this ROM stuff still.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin
    Is there anything that can resize the ROM partition to fit the size of the smaller, stripped ROMs? I seem to remember reading something about a program that could do that but now I can't find it. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this ROM stuff still.
    Both the Thread I linked above and Jamesgangut's 'Tips &Tricks' Thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=custom+rom

Again, I typed "custom rom" (no quotes) in 'Advance Search' and choose 'Titles Only'
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Hi,

Is there a tool allowing to add programs to ROM without compiling new customized firmware and making a complete flashing process? Just copy and paste to ROM, maybe it sounds funny but is it possible? Making new firmware, flashing, restoring... very tedious process. I want it to be faster!

Thanks.
    Git 'em, Taz!

Se˝or Chupacabra, ROM stands for Read-Only Memory. Since you want to write to something that wasn't designed to be written to, you have to expect the process to be a bit involved. In short, the answer to both your questions is no.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niem÷ller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    hey berdinkerdickle, I started adding progs to my ROM and seem to be having much better performance now... not to contradict everything mmastrac, nonobeez & jamesgangut said, but I have almost completely filled my ENA ROM (only 400k or so of room left in ROM) now seem to have fewer resets and problems... I took out most everything I could and added Agendus Pro 11, Agendus SSL Mail 5, Zlauncher (w/ 1 theme, 1 icon & 1 bckgrd), Docs To Go (only files that need to be in RAM), SplashPhoto, Filez, Uninstall Manager & Cleanup... This now leaves me with 16.1megs of RAM space... knocking on wood now...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rkub
    hey berdinkerdickle, I started adding progs to my ROM and seem to be having much better performance now... not to contradict everything mmastrac, nonobeez & jamesgangut said, but I have almost completely filled my ENA ROM (only 400k or so of room left in ROM) now seem to have fewer resets and problems... I took out most everything I could and added Agendus Pro 11, Agendus SSL Mail 5, Zlauncher (w/ 1 theme, 1 icon & 1 bckgrd), Docs To Go (only files that need to be in RAM), SplashPhoto, Filez, Uninstall Manager & Cleanup... This now leaves me with 16.1megs of RAM space... knocking on wood now...lol
    Hey, If you're happy...
    How can anyone knock that?
    Just call me Berd.
  11.    #11  
    Okey I will try Romtool. Thanks.
    I'm a n00b at this, but common sense dictates you be careful with what you stick in ROM. Apps that crash in RAM will crash in ROM too, no?
    Yes, additionally apps that work in Ram may still not work in Rom.
    I believe in James' RomTool instructions (pdf) there is a link to a list that I put together, of apps that work in Rom.
    But Again, I would suggest keep the apps in Rom to a minimum, if any.
    Just call me Berd.
    Programs in rom will update to ram if I'm not mistaken so youll have dupes and possible conflicts. Not my area, but thats the impression I've gotten from reading threads.
    You're pretty close.
    Apps in Rom are compressed, and have to be uncompressed to run.
    And where do they get uncompressed to run? well, not in Rom. So, not so much 'dupe' conflicts, but more so redundancy. The instabilty comes from a stuffed Rom resulting in less dbcache.
    Just call me Berd.