1.    #1  
    First off- truly sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has already been answered. I searched & obviously didn't find any answers(none that helped anyways) or else I wouldn't still be in need of help

Here's my problem- I've read all about custom ROMs, I've researched the process and waited till I felt completely comfortable to try anything, and I didn't even do it to the Treo I use everyday, I first tried flashing my old "guinea pig" Treo. I'm not technically a n00b, in a way I knew what I was doing in that I did my research and followed all the tutorials to the letter. I still managed to screw something up somewhere though, because as soon as I upload my custom ROM & reset it, the phone will get to the grey Palm screen and then reboot ad nauseam. I've tried doing a hard reset, warm reset, zero-out reset- nothing. I've tried doing the bare minimum of alterations(only installing fat32 and FileZ), I've tried altering the ROM with Shadowmite's T650Tool & also by D/Ling a directory right from my Treo, and no matter what I do, it gets stuck in a reset loop. Unless I upload the original, unaltered ROM that I pulled from it to begin with. I'm working with a Sprint 650 with firmware version 1.12. The one I will eventually mess with IF I can ever get it to work right will also be a Sprint Treo, only with FW version 1.13a.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something here? I'm about to tear my hair out. Thanks to anyone that helps me.
    I would guess a problem with the fat32 file... did you remove fatfs?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    hey Kabuki, how's it going? (laker from hofo...)
    are you using the ROMTool from grack.com or just shadowmite's tool?
    (lol, funny that nonobeez was the first to answer you...)
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin
    First off- truly sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has already been answered. I searched & obviously didn't find any answers(none that helped anyways) or else I wouldn't still be in need of help

Here's my problem- I've read all about custom ROMs, I've researched the process and waited till I felt completely comfortable to try anything, and I didn't even do it to the Treo I use everyday, I first tried flashing my old "guinea pig" Treo. I'm not technically a n00b, in a way I knew what I was doing in that I did my research and followed all the tutorials to the letter. I still managed to screw something up somewhere though, because as soon as I upload my custom ROM & reset it, the phone will get to the grey Palm screen and then reboot ad nauseam. I've tried doing a hard reset, warm reset, zero-out reset- nothing. I've tried doing the bare minimum of alterations(only installing fat32 and FileZ), I've tried altering the ROM with Shadowmite's T650Tool & also by D/Ling a directory right from my Treo, and no matter what I do, it gets stuck in a reset loop. Unless I upload the original, unaltered ROM that I pulled from it to begin with. I'm working with a Sprint 650 with firmware version 1.12. The one I will eventually mess with IF I can ever get it to work right will also be a Sprint Treo, only with FW version 1.13a.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something here? I'm about to tear my hair out. Thanks to anyone that helps me.
    So, you have it working fine with the Original Rom?
    If so Leave it as is for now.
    And I will help.
    Just call me Berd.
    Read up on the RomTool.
    Don't confuse it w/ Shadows Tool.
    And forget the 'custom rom for dummies' Thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    lol, gotta say thx to nono and berdink for responding so quickly... I've been telling people at howardforums that they should go to TC for any ROM help and listed you guys as people that are very helpful! making me look like I know what I'm talking about!! LOL
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I did remove fatfs first. What I've been doing is downloading the rom with RomTool, editing & zipping it up with Shadowmite's program, and then uploading it again with RomTool.

I had SOME success earlier d/ling the rom from the guinea pig phone & only adding filez, & I may have pinpointed a problem. I think earlier I may have been uploading my good Treo's rom to the guinea pig Treo, and their firmware versions are different. Could that be the problem?

whatever it is, I'm not going to mess with it anymore today until I've had a nap, lol...
    As has been mentioned you just need to use the ROM Tool only. First download the rom to a directory, save a backup copy of that folder. Then delete the fatfs.prc copy in the fat32.prc. Upload that directory with ROM Tool. Done. You don't need Shadow's tool at all anymore.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Yea, I think plenty of naps should be included in the instructions.

When you get back up, Read up on the RomTool, And I'm not talking about shadowmites.
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    Sounds good guys, I will try it that way & report back. When I download the rom & edit it, do I just delete & drag files with windows explorer in the directory? If so, wow. It seems almost TOO easy, heh.
    Yep, it is easy.
    And No Zipping required.
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    So I just upload the directory?

amazing.
  13.    #13  
    *cries* It still is not working....

I did it just like you said, with ROMtool. I took out the tips, Realplayer, Todo, & added filez, fat32, xiino, SiEd, and an aim client.

I will try taking out xiino, SiEd & the aim client one by one, and if it won't work after that, then I GIVE UP!

Either that or I'll pay one of you guys to make me a ROM that works.
    Start by Not adding anything to Rom, and see if that works.
    I would suggest you don't add any apps back to Rom.
    Just call me Berd.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah that's what I'm doing now. I did just a stripped ROM & that worked, now I'm uploading the same one but with FAT32. If that works I'm going to try adding filez, and maybe 1 or 2 others, one by one, and see what happens.

Thanks so much for everyone's help & suggestions
  16.    #16  
    Craaaaaaap.... it's FAT32 that's the problem. (and I did delete fatfs first, just in case anyone was going to ask about that)

Man, that's the one thing I really wanted to work! D'oh! I guess no 4 gig cards for me...
  17.    #17  
    Woohoo! I got it working with FAT32! It turns out I had the wrong FAT32 file, no idea how that happened, but I searched for some info on it & found a thread with a download of the prc in it. I noticed that the download was about 56kb, while the FAT32 file I had was only 50kb. I D/Led it, tried it, and all systems are go!

I guess that was the problem all along. Sweet, that means I'm NOT an *****, lol...
  18.    #18  
    OK, everything is up & running on the main Treo, and it's faster & cleaner than ever

I was able to trim all the fat, and I managed to successfully add some of my necessary apps to the ROM as well.

Thanks for everyone's help, this actually turned out to be quite easy!