1.    #1  
    I've had a parrot 3400 for a few months, which is a awesome handfree + GPS bluetooth adapter in one... I had always thought as I've read that having two bluetooth connections active was impossible due to HW/SW restraints. While driving using TomTom today, I had a call come in, which to my suprise rang over onto the Parrot 3400. While on the phone call, I fired up TomTom again, and picked up the GPS signal from my parrot immediatly. Apparently the parrot uses one bluetooth connection for both Handfree communication + GPS Nav signals. SO, just to inform everyone who's interested in the parrot 3400, and still has the treo 650, YOU CAN use VOICE + GPS SIMULTANEOUSLY!

Last edited by winter720; 06/29/2006 at 01:24 PM.
    Hi winter720, welcome to the forum - just to clarify:
    you were using TomTom, then a call came in that you engaged on the the Parrot, and WHILE STILL SPEAKING, you relaunched TomTom which continued to navigate WHILE you were still speaking? (pardon the caps - they are to indicate where I need clarification, and not to emphasize tone)
    If not, then this is what the Treo has always done, and I'm afraid this in not simultaneous, but rather asynchronous. The Treo could always pass a "ring" to another device while a Bluetooth serial connection (GPS) was active, but once the conversation was passed to the bluetooth audio device (be it a headset or a car kit), TomTom could not continue to navigate if it was relaunched during the conversation.

I, long ago, switched to a wired GPS to work with TomTom so that I could carry on a conversation via my Bluetooth headset while simultaneously still having TomTom direct my navigation.

If the 3400 has figured out a clever way around this, I'd like to know, but from what I know about bluetooth protocols and how the Treo's bluetooth implementation works, I'm afraid I believe this is unlikely. However, your clarification would be very helpful.

best,
    Conrad
  3.    #3  
    I've been lurking here for 1.5 years.. I understand why you would question this.. as at first I had to *pinch* myself to reassure I wasnt dreaming... so YES, while having an active GPS connection, a call came in, rang to the parrot, I answered with the parrot and carried on a conversation. While doing so I reopened TomTom, much to my suprise TomTom gained the GPS signal right away. Still to my suprise, so I opened the 'Show GPS Status' while STILL talking through the parrot. Again to my SUPRISE, the GPS status was updating like it should... Still in disbelief, I sped up 20mph to reassure that it was picking up an active signal... I know abit about bluetooth protocol's and quite abit about the Treo 650's crappy bluetooth stack. That is why I'm still in amazement. Parrot DID come out with an update about 3 weeks ago for the 3400, one thing it addressed was the incompability with TomTom, that issue was resolved with the update, and apparently other things were made available! I hope this clears it up, if you like I could take pictures as well . I'm so very overly suprised I wanted to share this with TC members right away

NOTE: only thing that DOESNT work while in a conversation and GPS nav, is audio directions, however I'd guess this doesnt work even with wired receivers, as it would disrupt the conversation....
  4.    #4  
    during lunch I experimented abit more with it, everything works flawlessly, dont have to perform any specific steps or anything to get both working at the same time. Parrot recognizes tomtom being opened, while it still maintains a constant connection with the Treo650.

The Parrot 3400 isnt cheap, but with this possibility, it fixes a HUGE problem I've had with the treo 650!
    This is very exciting winter720! Thanks for your very detailed posts and for further experimenting with this. I've wanted to get a car kit for some time - maybe I'll save up more to get the 3400. If you have any more feedback about the 3400, please post it to this thread in the coming months.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    This is very exciting winter720! Thanks for your very detailed posts and for further experimenting with this. I've wanted to get a car kit for some time - maybe I'll save up more to get the 3400. If you have any more feedback about the 3400, please post it to this thread in the coming months.

I have quite abit of feedback, I'll post it to this thread in the upcomming days, but overall, it's a great device, and achieves BT Semi-Bliss with the Treo 650...
    I have a CK3100 im about to install w/650 and a hard wired gps.
    I travel so taking the gps w/me was atrractive
    but the idae that the 3200 ? gps w no screen might work has me dead in my tracks
  8.    #8  
    3200 w no screen? you confused me
    Quote Originally Posted by winter720 View Post
    I have quite abit of feedback, I'll post it to this thread in the upcomming days, but overall, it's a great device, and achieves BT Semi-Bliss with the Treo 650...
    Winter720, I'm still very curious about that feedback - have you got any time in the near the future to post a short list of pluses and minuses from your experience with the 3400?
    Thanks,
    Conrad