1.    #1  
    Looking for advice re using my Sprint 700P in Sydney late July/August. I know about the international power adapter kit but will I be able to pick up on a local carrier (eg, Telstra)?

Thanks for any/all suggestions.
    I dont believe that the CDMA network is in AUS. It is US only. (I might be wrong though)
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Here are the places where CDMA phones will work:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...dmaroaming.jsp
    Fafafooey, that's the Verizon roaming list, not Sprint.

captunderp, your Sprint phone will NOT work in Austrailia even though there IS a CDMA network there. Sprint has no roaming agreement with them. It will work in New Zealand though, as Sprint has an agreement with them (I was there in Nov. 2005 on my honeymoon and used my 650, voice only, no data)

We had a layover in Sydney on the way back to the US. I'm pretty sure my phone picked up a signal but you couldn't place or receive calls (except for the Austrailian version of 911 i'm sure)

If you do plan to use a Sprint phone on a CDMA network outside of North America, you need to activate International Roaming by calling CS.

And Babaooey to y'all
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info -
    Quote Originally Posted by pshifrin
    International Roaming
    How much does that cost and how does it work? Would it work for GSM networks also or just places that have CDMA (without an agreement with Sprint)
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    If you are spending enough time in oz (My home country, and from Sydney) it might be worth it for you to pick up a cheap GSM phone from here (ebay) then buy a sim card down there.?

do not buy the sim card over here, its cheaper in oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    How much does that cost and how does it work? Would it work for GSM networks also or just places that have CDMA (without an agreement with Sprint)
    Would what work for GSM networks? If you have a GSM phone, you can use it overseas, but the 700 has not been released on a GSM network yet (not sure if it will be at all) so i guess the answer is no.

If you're asking if the 700P can work on a GSM network, the answer there is a resounding no. CDMA and GSM are not compatible networks and use completely different frequencies.