1.    #1  
    Did all the searches, tried all the suggestions...
    it connects to my laptop and then tells me the port is in use even after making a specific BT serial port and assigning Hotsync to use it. Every few times, the 700p soft-resets itself. What gives?
    MilenKoD,

Here is the technique that I have offered to other users. Try the steps and let me know what you see:

Simple BlueTooth HotSync Setup Instructions

1. Start up PC and assure that BlueTooth Radio is activated on the PC. See PC instructions for how to do this. Some PC makers have Bluetooth on at all times.

2. Make sure the Treo has bluetooth activated. Go to small oval icon in upper right screen and click on it. Bluetooth setup page should open

3. On bluetooth setup page, press the ON box and you should get a "please wait" message. Following this Bluetooth will be activated.

4. On the Treo Bluetooth setup page make sure to set the bluetooth visibility in pulldown menu to Visible

5. On the Treo Bluetooth setup page click on Setup Devices and on following screen click on Trusted Devices

6. A screen should appear to show trusted devices. Click on Add Device and you should see a screen entitled discovery results

7. Under the Discovery Results screen you should see your computer listed. Highlight it and click OK.

8. A series of small screens will appear showing attempted connection to your PC. Once successful a password screen will appear.

9. A similar password screen will appear on the PC asking for your permission to communicate. Enter a code of your choice and click OK

10. Enter the same code on the treo and you should see the connection show up in Trusted Devices and you are now paired with the PC.

11. Go to the bluetooth icon on the task bar in the lower right corner of the PC and select advanced configuration.

12. Under the configuration screen in #11 choose the tab Local Services and you should see a number of services including HotSync Serial Port. Note the Com Port
    number.

13. Close the configuration screen and go to HotSync and make sure both Local and Local USB are checked. Now reselect HotSync and click on Setup

14. A HotSync setup screen should appear. Click on the tab titled Local and you should see a com port. Change this to the same com port seen in bluetooth advanced
    configuration screen and close this screen.

15. On the treo go to home-Hotsync and tap. You should make sure the box entitled Local is highlighted. The pulldown menu should by default show Cradle/Cable

16. Tap the top screen and you should see a pull down menu. Select Connection Setup from this list and you should see a list of Available Connections.

17. Press the New button at the bottom of the screen and you should see Edit Connection Screen. Select Connect To and choose PC from the drop down menu

18. On the Edit Connection screen select under the Via pulldown the Bluetooth selection. You should see an new box then that says Tap to Find

19. Press Tap to Find and you should see a Discovery Results screen again. Select the PC Name that you paired with above. Click OK and you should be paired

20. Name your connection under the Edit Connection screen, I called mine bluetooth connect

21. When you exit you should be back to Connection Setup and see your newly created bluetooth connection.

22. Exit out of this and you should be at the main HotSync window on the treo. On the pulldown menu select the bluetooth connection you just created

23. Click on the hotsync button and your device should hotsync wirelessly with your PC via bluetooth.

Regards,

Jim
  3.    #3  
    Well, Still get the same error message on the 700p about the port being in use by another application.

One note:
    In step #12 "you should see a number of services including HotSync Serial Port. " I don't have a listing for "Hotsync Serial Port", just a new BT serial connection for the 700p that I've set-up. My thought here is that I also have a WM5 device, and as in step #12, there actually is a service called ActiveSync that has paired itself to a port for my WM5 device.
    Shouldn't there be a "service" called Hotsync listed in the in the bluetooth services set-up to pair-up onto an avaiable serial port? Right now, the only way HotSync knows to use this serial port is through HotSync-->Setup-->Local-->ComPortxx. There is no conduit between my laptop's BT and HotSync. Seems like I'm missing some type of driver that should be a specific HotSync BT service to attach to a BT serial port like ActiveSync has.

Thus there is no handshaking between my BT and Hotsync because my BT doesn't know HotSync is requesting the communication, therefore the "port is in use" error on the 700p.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 06/30/2006 at 08:15 AM.
    DrCJ:

(BTW, interesting similarity in our screen names, considering that my initials are "JC"!)

I am having the same problem with the "port in use by another application" error, usually followed by a self-reset of the Treo. I have posted my problem in another thread, but I have not received suggestions that solve the problem.

I have tried following your 23 steps, but (unfortunately) beginning in step #11, it appears that you are specifically discussing a Windows operating system. I am using an iMac G5 running OS 10.4.6. I am hoping that you or someone else can provide similar step-by-step instructions for getting a Bluetooth HotSync to work on a Mac.

I have attempted to follow your instructions by using what appear to be Mac-equivalent steps, but there are several places where the OS differences and differences in HotSync dialog boxes between platforms require some guessing as to what the actual step should be. I continue to get the same error message followed by a reset in Step #23. Any help will be appreciated.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
  5.    #5  
    Here's something even more strange.

If I start the OBEX exchange and then do a Bluetooth Hotsync on the Treo, Windows gives me a Connected pop-up balloon. Then gives me another error shortly thereafter. At least I got the laptop and 700p to sucsesfuly recognize eachother.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    Well, Still get the same error message on the 700p about the port being in use by another application.

One note:
    In step #12 "you should see a number of services including HotSync Serial Port. " I don't have a listing for "Hotsync Serial Port", just a new BT serial connection for the 700p that I've set-up. My thought here is that I also have a WM5 device, and as in step #12, there actually is a service called ActiveSync that has paired itself to a port for my WM5 device.
    Shouldn't there be a "service" called Hotsync listed in the in the bluetooth services set-up to pair-up onto an avaiable serial port? Right now, the only way HotSync knows to use this serial port is through HotSync-->Setup-->Local-->ComPortxx. There is no conduit between my laptop's BT and HotSync. Seems like I'm missing some type of driver that should be a specific HotSync BT service to attach to a BT serial port like ActiveSync has.

Thus there is no handshaking between my BT and Hotsync because my BT doesn't know HotSync is requesting the communication, therefore the "port is in use" error on the 700p.
    I did not realize that you had a WM also. The setup should be similar. You many have a corrupt setup in bluetooth. I have a couple of questions for you?

1. What bluetooth are you using? Do you have bluetooth built in to your computer or is it a bluetooth adapter? Some users have had problems with untested bluetooth. If you visit the palm site they seem to have a VERY limited number of adapters and laptops that have been tested with the 700P.

2. What device do you use the ActiveSync in conjunction with your computer?

I had a similar problem with a version of ActiveSync that I had on my computer as well. I went into Bluetooth Configuration usually accessed by a right click on the taskbar icon and then click on the tab label Local Services. You should see a series of services there to include:

Service Name Startup Secure Connection Com Port

HotSync Serial Port Auto Required Com10
    Bluetooth Imaging Auto Required
    Audio Gateway Auto Not required
    Headset Auto Not Required
    PIM syncronization Auto Required
    FAX Auto Required
    File Transfer Auto Required
    PIM Item Transfer Auto Not Required
    Dial-up Networking Auto Required
    Network Access Auto Required

This is what my screen looks like. You should, in fact, have a port for HotSync and it sounds as if you do not. There should be a series of buttons along the bottom of the scree entitled "properties", "add serial port" and "delete."

You should click on "Add Serial Port" After that you should see a series of screens regarding "Found New Hardware" and a restore point will be set for you. There should be a final screen that will open to show Bluetooth Properties and there should be a picture of cable and a generic "Bluetooth Serial Port" text box that you should be able to call Hotsync Serial Port by highlighting and changing. You should see a check box for Startup Automatically which should be checked and a checkbox for secure connection which should also be checked. Below these checkboxes is a Com Port drop down box. In my case only Com16 is showing so I would select that or what ever port you have showing and hit OK. This will create a NEW conduit in bluetooth. Now you should see the newly created HotSync Serial Port with the attributes given above. You should then be able to now close out of the previous screens and THEN:

Go to HotSync--->Setup-->Make sure to click on Local and Local USB and verify that a check is next to them-->Setup----->Local Tab----->the ComPort you selected above. You should now be in a position to pair the device.

Try this a let me know what you get in terms of messages.

I hope this helps,

Jim
  7.    #7  
    1. What bluetooth are you using? Do you have bluetooth built in to your computer or is it a bluetooth adapter? Some users have had problems with untested bluetooth. If you visit the palm site they seem to have a VERY limited number of adapters and laptops that have been tested with the 700P.
    It's integrated into the WiFi chip on-board. It lists as a Billionton BT USB. Must be using an internal USB interconnect/bus to the system, I presume.

2. What device do you use the ActiveSync in conjunction with your computer?
    Dell Axim v51v

Service Name Startup Secure Connection Com Port

HotSync Serial Port Auto Required Com10
    Bluetooth Imaging Auto Required
    Audio Gateway Auto Not required
    Headset Auto Not Required
    PIM syncronization Auto Required
    FAX Auto Required
    File Transfer Auto Required
    PIM Item Transfer Auto Not Required
    Dial-up Networking Auto Required
    Network Access Auto Required
    Have all those listed EXCEPT
    HotSync Serial Port
    BT Imaging
    DUN
    Network Access.

Looks like a Hotsync Serial Port is what I'm missing as presummed in my revious post.

This is what my screen looks like. You should, in fact, have a port for HotSync and it sounds as if you do not. There should be a series of buttons along the bottom of the scree entitled "properties", "add serial port" and "delete."
    I believe herein lies my problem. All I have is a Serial Port Com 13 which I have set the HotSync Manager to use.
    You should click on "Add Serial Port" After that you should see a series of screens regarding "Found New Hardware" and a restore point will be set for you. There should be a final screen that will open to show Bluetooth Properties and there should be a picture of cable and a generic "Bluetooth Serial Port" text box that you should be able to call Hotsync Serial Port by highlighting and changing. You should see a check box for Startup Automatically which should be checked and a checkbox for secure connection which should also be checked. Below these checkboxes is a Com Port drop down box. In my case only Com16 is showing so I would select that or what ever port you have showing and hit OK. This will create a NEW conduit in bluetooth. Now you should see the newly created HotSync Serial Port with the attributes given above. You should then be able to now close out of the previous screens and THEN:

Go to HotSync--->Setup-->Make sure to click on Local and Local USB and verify that a check is next to them-->Setup----->Local Tab----->the ComPort you selected above. You should now be in a position to pair the device.
    I'll delete all the ports. Maybe even the ActiveSync port....which remindes me...when I did get the laptop and 700p to hook-up, I get a message that ActiveSync is trying to sync with the device.

Try this a let me know what you get in terms of messages.

I hope this helps,

Jim
    OK...I'll let you know later on tonight by posting here.
    MilenkoD,

Interesting; and similar to my problem as well. When I first got my Treo 650 I could NEVER get it to sync by bluetooth so gave up because I did not have the time or energy. Now that I have the T700 I put more energy into it.

I had an IPAQ in a previous life and ActiveSync was still there. No matter what I did I could not get the Bluetooth connection Wizard to make any connection BUT an active sync connection as a setup. There simply was no option to create a hotsync connection via the wizard. So I deleted the ActiveSync and could not get the Wizard to give me joy. That is when I sat down and fiddled with connections and manually creating ports and recorded my steps here. You are right that your card is a USB/Board interconnect, so that makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot.

The services that I have are a function of the bluetooth software on your board, and I have never really seen any two the exact same before, but the hotsync is obviously a must. I would not worry about BT imaging or DUN or network access. Thes may be a function of the PDAnet software that I installed and enabled these things. If you do not have thsi product I would not worry about the missing items.

I think that you may find that ActiveSync is the culprit as I did. When I deleted ActiveSync and then manually added the port, it was almost miraculous when it worked. I will be very interested in what happens next.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J
    DrCJ:

(BTW, interesting similarity in our screen names, considering that my initials are "JC"!)

I am having the same problem with the "port in use by another application" error, usually followed by a self-reset of the Treo. I have posted my problem in another thread, but I have not received suggestions that solve the problem.

I have tried following your 23 steps, but (unfortunately) beginning in step #11, it appears that you are specifically discussing a Windows operating system. I am using an iMac G5 running OS 10.4.6. I am hoping that you or someone else can provide similar step-by-step instructions for getting a Bluetooth HotSync to work on a Mac.

I have attempted to follow your instructions by using what appear to be Mac-equivalent steps, but there are several places where the OS differences and differences in HotSync dialog boxes between platforms require some guessing as to what the actual step should be. I continue to get the same error message followed by a reset in Step #23. Any help will be appreciated.
    DrJ,

I have not forgotten about your problem nor am I being a Windows snob. I have a G3(bronze) powerbook running 10.4.7. I am going to need to set up my bluetooth USB adapter with it so that we can both be on the same page. Please bear with me! Normally most OSX users are the lucky ones with no bluetooth issues as I read here. I will try to help you out.

Normally, I use my Powerbook for other things and have only synchronized my treo with it once by cable.

Regards and regrets for the delay,

Jim
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    MilenkoD,

Interesting; and similar to my problem as well. When I first got my Treo 650 I could NEVER get it to sync by bluetooth so gave up because I did not have the time or energy. Now that I have the T700 I put more energy into it.

I had an IPAQ in a previous life and ActiveSync was still there. No matter what I did I could not get the Bluetooth connection Wizard to make any connection BUT an active sync connection as a setup. There simply was no option to create a hotsync connection via the wizard. So I deleted the ActiveSync and could not get the Wizard to give me joy. That is when I sat down and fiddled with connections and manually creating ports and recorded my steps here. You are right that your card is a USB/Board interconnect, so that makes it a little more difficult to troubleshoot.

The services that I have are a function of the bluetooth software on your board, and I have never really seen any two the exact same before, but the hotsync is obviously a must. I would not worry about BT imaging or DUN or network access. Thes may be a function of the PDAnet software that I installed and enabled these things. If you do not have thsi product I would not worry about the missing items.

I think that you may find that ActiveSync is the culprit as I did. When I deleted ActiveSync and then manually added the port, it was almost miraculous when it worked. I will be very interested in what happens next.

Regards,

Jim
    I've figured to delete the active sync since I use my Axim exclusively at work. I only had is loaded on my laptop to load applications that I had. Those are on there now and I mostly load new applications at work.
  11.    #11  
    MilenkoD,

Interesting; and similar to my problem as well......ActiveSync was still there. .......ActiveSync is the culprit as I did. When I deleted ActiveSync and then manually added the port, it was almost miraculous when it worked. ......
    Yup!
    Exactly!!! ActiveSync was the issue.... I didn't delete it but rather disable the ActiveSync port, then manually added a new port and re-named it to "HotSync Serial Port". Looks like I'm go to go now.

Thanks for all you help. Maybe I can help some else out with this info in the future.

BTW...the Bluetooth connection screems...it's not USB wired speed but a close second...waaaayyyy faster than IR.
  12.    #12  
    So much for the short-lived glory. Worked like a charm the first time. Now I'm back to that same "Port in use..." error
  13.    #13  
    OK...check this out...MORE wierd stuff. I can't get HotSync to work 100% automatically. However, If I double-click the "OBEX Object Push" under the SmartPhone available services, then click the HotSync button on the 700p, I can get it to HotSync every time. Of course I get errors about a failure to exchange business cards, but it doesn't seem to interrupt or affect the HotSync operation.

I would love not to have to do this. Any insight as to what is going on here?
    Yup!
    Exactly!!! ActiveSync was the issue.... I didn't delete it but rather disable the ActiveSync port, then manually added a new port and re-named it to "HotSync Serial Port". Looks like I'm go to go now.

Thanks for all you help. Maybe I can help some else out with this info in the future.

BTW...the Bluetooth connection screems...it's not USB wired speed but a close second...waaaayyyy faster than IR.
    MilenkoD,

I truly think that you are going to have to DELETE the port since it appears that the ActiveSync resets itself with a restart. I had the same problem and simply had to delete the ActiveSync port. It appears to me that you can do this because you do not use your Axim except at work.

Please try to DELETE it and then try the BT HotSync. My suspicion is tha it will work again and be durable despite restarts. You can always add a ActiveSync port later on if you need to.

I agree with you that it is very much faster than the IR and then there is the convenience of leaving it plugged in to a place near your computer so that you can charge and sync at the same time.

As always, let me know what happens.

Regards,

Jim
    OK...check this out...MORE wierd stuff. I can't get HotSync to work 100% automatically. However, If I double-click the "OBEX Object Push" under the SmartPhone available services, then click the HotSync button on the 700p, I can get it to HotSync every time. Of course I get errors about a failure to exchange business cards, but it doesn't seem to interrupt or affect the HotSync operation.

Milenko,

Did you have a prior BT enabled phone before you got the T700? I have had every Treo since the original 180 and I have never seen the OBEX stuff unless you had another phone that used the Object push service to pull business cards and the like into the phone.

I do not have this on my machine and a quick check of my wife's computer reveals that there is none there either. You may need to delete this service as it may have been a holdover from the Axim or another phone. I will research it more and get back with you.

Regards,

Jim

Milenko,

There is a nice and VERY TECHNICAL review of OBEX written here:

http://www.developer.com/ws/palm/article.php/3573636

This may be left over from your AXIM days as I did not find it in my Palm prefs and do not see it anywhere else. Looks like Palm Cobalt 6 was going to use it but that OS never materialized.

Regards,

Jim
    Milenko,

What happened to you? Did you get your problem with Bluetooth resolved?

Regards,

Jim
  18.    #18  
    Milenko,

What happened to you? Did you get your problem with Bluetooth resolved?

Regards,

Jim
    No...never resolved it. Still, it only works as described above.