1.    #1  
    OK - before anyone goes off on "Searching the Forums...", I did - no luck.

The Treo650 has a built in GPS function. Why don't we have the ability to use this? If people can figure out where we are using GPS (such as 911 and other services), why can't we figure it out on our own? I have the external bluetooth GPS receiver and TomTom software, but it seems like it would be a lot less clunky if I didn't have to chase that little receiver all over my car.

Has anyone designed (or planned to design) a hack to make this information available to the phone or the user of the phone, rather than just the services?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    What do you base the statement that the T650 has a builtin GPS function on?

As far as I know the T650 doesn't have the same type of GPS chipset that the typical navigation system uses such as the SIRF Star III chipset. It's "GPS function" is done by triangulating your location using 3 towers and measuring the signal strength to each. It then approximates your location. This is implemented by the carrier not the hardware in the T650.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Didnt you know? JUST TYPE #*##*47#[SPACE] # to activate.
    There are a couple new PDA/Phones which have this functionality built in:

HP iPAQ hw6915
    E-TEN G500

You can read about them at http://www.mobiletechreview.com/smartphone.htm

The TREO 650 (and as far as I know the 700W and 700P) cannot do GPS navigation without additional software and an external GPS receiver (BT or wired).

PERIOD

Why ask why? Ours is but to do or die.
    Also search this forum for 'LBS' (Location Based Services) for more info than you ever wanted in the first place :-) This is the functionality that's available on the Sprint Treo 650.
    It uses a different kind of GPS "protocol", called Assisted GPS or A-GPS. It relies not only on the satellite to tell it where it is, but the network too. There is an article in Wikipedia about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS

An interesting new service from Sprint that uses the GPS or A-GPS. That site states "A GPS receiver is incorporated into every Sprint phone sold since January 2002."

Wether GPS or A-GPS you think someone could make the Built-in GPS to work for us, and for free!

https://sfl.sprintpcs.com/finder-spr...ily/signIn.htm
  8.    #8  
    But what doesn't make sense is why we don't have access to this on our own. The service is listed as GPS, and the turn by turn directions that are available with some plans and some of the 650 service providers appear to have the same functionality as if you had the tomtom software and an external receiver...
    Well, even relatively aged phones contain A-GPS chips, it is required by the FCC that emergency dispatchers need to know where a call originated. As a result all devices contain the A-GPS chip. I'm not sure, but I think the reason we cannot access this chip is because it will not give us relevent information without some manipulation on the tower's end. Any carrier who allows their customers to manipulate data in such a way is asking for attention from the less ethical of us. If the GPS chip inside communicated with only the satellites, then perhaps we would be able to access this chip. I remember a thread about this from a while ago, try searching with different terms.

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Not sure but check out the Telenav service http://www.telenav.com looks interesting and the 650 is listed as supported
    Hmmm.... that telenav is pretty interesting, but it turns out they want $10 a month for that service... dang, that's a little much, I think. In their FAQ's, they claim it's accurate to 5-10 meters, I think it said. Now, if only I remembered the metric system from 4th grade. They always TOLD us we'd need it, didn't they?
    Pretty damn easy to remember, think 1 meter is basically 1 yard.

You won't use it for geocaching, but navigation should work. Although I think 5-10m is better than it actually is capable of from what I understand.

Ummmmmm.... I'm not sure I'd trust those IDIOTS at all:

Quote Originally Posted by The Morons at Telenav
    We suggest the use of a vehicle mount so that the GPS receiver inside the phone or handheld can readily receive signals from the GPS satellites in space. You should also consider a car charger if you are going to use TeleNav for long periods of time. Accessories for Nextel phones and the BlackBerry 7520 are available in the TeleNav store here on this web site.

GPS accuracy can be 5m to 100m, depending on environment and how many satellites the phone's GPS receiver can track concurrently.
    MOST phones don't have real GPS in them, they use information from surrounding cell towers (which is relayed to the phone; it's not something that's happening all the time) and NOT satelites.

Okay, so they make it SOUND like the GPS unit is inside the phone yet they offer this:

http://www.telenav.com/whatis/accessoryMain.do

TeleNav Bluetooth GPS Receiver (for Palm Treo 650) - $139.99
    Last edited by khaytsus; 06/30/2006 at 06:33 AM.
    Some Nextel phones have real GPS sattelite recievers built in, most don't and need external recievers.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1
    Not sure but check out the Telenav service http://www.telenav.com looks interesting and the 650 is listed as supported

Yes; I have this service, and it's neither good nor bad. I plan to give it up after my six-month trial has ended. Search for Telenav on these forums for more info.

But it doesn't using the "LBS" functionality on the 650, it communicates with an external Bluetooth GPS device, like TomTom and others do.