1.    #1  
    What is the point of the side button on the phone? A single press doesn't do anything - you can press and hold, but that is all. Is there a reason to have it there? Can you program it to do something when you press it rather than pressing and holding?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkeii
    What is the point of the side button on the phone? A single press doesn't do anything - you can press and hold, but that is all. Is there a reason to have it there? Can you program it to do something when you press it rather than pressing and holding?
    This all leads back to the fact that the treo 650 is an unpolished product. The side buttons are susposed to mimic side buttons on regular phones, but once again palm drops the ball and makes them pretty much useless. For example the up down button only changes the volume, it would be way more useful if you could use it to scroll up and down pages would it no? Say for reading oh Email? the press and hold side button would be nice to use as a select button same as the round button in the 4-way navigator but again stupid palm has decided to make it a short cut key for the camera? Cuz we use that alll the time. You can modify the buttons with butler to make the up down scroll and the other one be select.

Other stupid thing's you'll notice is the fact that you can't assign special ring tones for incoming calls from contact in your address book. Or maybe "profiles" based on the environment your in, perfect example on the Windows mobile phones (and I am in no way endorsing windows mobile) if you have an appointment or meeting in outlook at the time of your meeting you have the option of telling your phone to switch to silent mode during your meeting.
    If you go into preferences then buttons you can assign a program to the button - simply press and it is launched.
    I have VoiceLauncher loaded, and when I press & hold the side button, it launches that and waits for me to speak a command. Through prefs you can pretty much assign it to any application residing in your main memory.
    All the buttons also performs functions in Volume Care, while the up and down rockers scroll in Chatter. As others have said, the push button can be assigned a defualt action using the stock 'Preferences'... but as you said, this is a press and hold rather tahn just a press. Probably so the action doesn't occur every time your treo is jostled in your pocket.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    He does not want to press+hold... just press and have it launch an app...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    when you have menus open in an application, you can press the side button to exit. so it does have a builtin function
    The press-and-hold functionality is useful for some apps, such as a VoiceRecorder.

It's also useful for a sort of "desk-accessory"-like app which shows the current time without taking you out of the context of your currently running application. I just tried to setup 'ClockPop', but it doesn't know about the side button. KeyGuardTime+ looks like it will do the same thing, but weighs nearly 100K, and I'm guessing that such a program won't run well off the SD card.

Does anyone know of a lightweight ClockPop-like program which knows about the side button? I'm pretty sure I had such a program running at some point.
    I still don't understand why I have to press the side button to confirm my volume change. Why Palm? Why?
    I'm still waiting for an app that will allow you to press that button and use it as push-to-talk. All push-to-talk seems to do is dial the phone number 'behind-the-scenes' and turns on speaker phone....I'm no programmer, but that seems do-able, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I still don't understand why I have to press the side button to confirm my volume change. Why Palm? Why?
    Cause otherwise you would change it 15 times a day unintentionally....hard to hold the phoen and pull it out of cradles, holsters, pouches w/o hitting that rocker switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkeii

So you can program an app to use it and always have that app handy w/o looking at tehd evcie....say to call soemone while driving. VoiceDial for example takes over that button by default.....hit da button and Treo lady says "Say a Command" I then say Open an app, call some schmoe, e-mail / SMS someone or lookup a contact....I have tried other suggestive comments but those commands arenb't built in as yet I guess