1.    #1  
    Just checking - I did the DUN bluetooth mod, and got it working no problem - Nice to have wireless on my laptop wherever I am. But I am a little worried. Does this data transfer fall under the unlimited option I have for data? Has anyone had experience with this to confirm I don't get charged extra for it, since I have the unlimited plan?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Kinda hard to tell without knowing which carrier you have.

The search function is your friend.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  3.    #3  
    Verizon is my carrier...

I searched for DUN Verizon charges, and got 4 threads. Many referred to other carriers and DUN and no charges, but none referred to all three terms in the same sentence. So it wasn't quite my friend in this case. I did use it to find out how to do DUN on my phone earlier - now I have a question that I can't find the answer to elsewhere.

I'm looking for confirmation that using the DUN patch doesn't generate any extra charges on an unlimited data plan for Verizon.
    Last edited by drinkeii; 06/29/2006 at 06:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Here is a thread that addresses the topic; I just used "charge" instead of "charges" in the search.

Basically, there are 2 questions here: 1) do they allow it; and 2) can you get away with it if they don't allow it. I'm not a VZW customer, so don't take my word as gospel, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $answers$ $are$ $1$) $no$, $and$ $2$) $yes$.

Googling vzw.com for "treo modem" reveals the following:

In addition, customers interested in using their Palm Treo 700p as a modem to send and receive data from their laptops can do so using dial-up networking with Verizon Wireless’ BroadbandAccess Connect service. Customers with the Treo 700p and an unlimited data plan with qualifying voice plan can get unlimited BroadbandAccess Connect for $15 monthly access fee, which for many is considerably less than signing up for Wi-Fi access at coffee shops, airports and hotels. Without the qualifying voice plan, customers can get BroadbandAccess Connect with an unlimited data plan for a $30 monthly access fee.

I know that refers to the 700p, but I'd imagine their policy is the same for the 650.

From a technology standpoint, there's really no way for them to directly tell the difference between regular data usage and tethered DUN. Tons of threads around here discuss this limitation (or advantage, depending on which side you're on). Granted, most are talking about Sprint, but the technology is the same.

For any 700 users out there, this is not true for you. VZW and Sprint certainly can tell when you tether on a 700. There's a hack floating around here somewhere to turn off the "telltale" flag when tethering a 700p, but I can't speak to its effectiveness.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
  5.    #5  
    That sounds like what I was looking for for an answer. Thank you very much!
    kvcobra,

You seem very knowledgable about this stuff. I just got my Treo 650 and would love to use DUN, but I can't even get the dern thing to HotSync via BlueTooth! I spent, literally, hours on the phone with a Sprint techie (Brandon, nice kid) trying to get it to work. We finally determined that the problem may (MAY!) be a corrupt CD. We figured this out when we tried to do a compleat reinstall. It wouldn't.

My home computer is not connected to the internet (which is why I wanted to DUN with the 650) so I can't DL the Palm Desktop from Palm.com!

I'll either have to goto another Sprint store (hoping they have a CD to exchange) or DL the DT at a friend's. I just home my 650 doesn't hard reset itself in the meantime!

Anyway, my question for you, kind sir (gee I hope you're a sir) is, is there a place around here where all the info I need to do DUN is gathered? It would be nice if there was.

I'm a Sprint customer & I have an unlimited data plan.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Capripede,

I'm by no means an expert, but I have read a lot of very knowledgeable posts on this board over the past year and a half. Believe me, if you search this board and put a resaonable amount of effort into it (not saying you don't), odds are you'll find what you're looking for. For better or worse, there's more competent tech support here than there is at Sprint, VZW, Cingular, etc. Unfortunately, many of the veterans are slowly leaving because of the changed atmosphere here, but at least their informative posts will still be around for those willing to look for them, even if the posters themsleves are gone. But that's another story for another thread...

Re: your problems with BT HotSync, I assume you can HotSync via cable? If so, I highly doubt that the problem is with Palm Desktop. If you can't HotSync via cable, maybe Palm Desktop is the problem.

BT installation on a Windoze PC is very temperamental, and that's where most people have their problems (as opposed to BT on the Treo, Palm Desktop, etc.). In particular, Windoze likes to reinstall its own BT drivers from time to time, and they are worthless. By worthless, I really mean that they just don't work. At all. Also, you have to dedicate a virtual COM port to BT in order to HotSync, and Windoze seems to enjoy allocating the same COM port to other devices (thuse ensuring that neither works).

I've spent a good amount of time fighting with BT DUN and had it working reliably for a while, but after my last ROM upgrade (Sprint 1.12), I could never quite get it working again, so I eventually gave up and bought PDANet. It's overpriced ($34.95), but it's amazingly easy to set up, and it supports DUN via either BT or USB cable (cable is a bit faster and also charges phone). I think there are a couple of competitor products out there too, but I'm not familiar with them. If you want to learn about some of the other products, search the forum for PDANet and you'll find threads along the lines of "PDANet or Brand X?"

When I did have BT DUN working without 3rd-party software, these are a few of the resources that helped me get there:

www.shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html - Shadowmite is brilliant. Not sure if this has been updated since Sprint "uncrippled" DUN functionality with the 1.12 ROM; unfortunately, I can't check now b/c my work blocks his site as a "hacking" site. Gotta love WebSense! Anyway, if it talks about installing a custom ROM, just ignore that part and follow the rest of the directions re: configuring BT.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=bt+dun - this talks a bit about native BT DUN vs. PDANet. Again, you no longer need a hack or custom ROM to use native BT DUN.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=bt+dun

http://www.spackass.com/daniel-marsh...d=13&Itemid=30

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=Error+%23633

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&page=16&pp=20

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/ (Macs only)

http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/08/b...-treo-650.html

There's another link or two I couldn't seem to locate (one TC thread and one how-to page on some other site), but hopefully those will get you where you need to go. Probably best to start with Shadow's site. Good luck!
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    Wonderful!

Thanks bunches!

I have the 1.13a updat. Looks like I'll have to go to PDANet... another ~40 out.... *sigh* I hope there's a trial version.

Thanks for wishing me luch, I'll need it!

Great post, man!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    You're welcome.

Before you go shell out the cash for PDANet, you should try the native DUN functionality. I couldn't get it to work on my device, but YMMV (your mileage may vary).

If you do end up having to go the PDANet route, there is a trial period.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster