Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Having progressed from a 600 to a 650 to my nifty new 700p (that I hope makes a bluetooth headset finally possible), I took off down the freeway with the 700 freshly activated on the Verizon network and put on my sunglasses only to find I could barely see the screen. I thought maybe the brightness was too low, nope, that wasn't it. I thought the screen protector was tinted, took it off, still couldn't see it. Then I figured it out, the Treo screen is polarized! I turned it 90 degrees and it was beautiful. I called tech support knowing they wouldn't have an answer and we concluded either I was right or crazy. I went to a store and found some were polarized and some not, weird. They kindly swapped me out a non-polarozed device and away I went. If you wear polarized glasses, choose carefully...
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    That is weird! I've noticed that effect on a 650 w/ Boxwave Crystals, but to polarize the screen itself is pushing it. Yet another reason to be careful if/when I make the move. Thanks!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    I have the same screen on one of my phone and is noticeable if I'm wearing my polarized sun glasses. but this is also the bluish screen so I will be keeping it. My other brownish screen does not have the same effect.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Isn't it standard for polarized shades to be polarized in one direction (horizontally, I think)? If so, Palm/HTC is pretty slack to not line the screen up accordingly. Of course, the fact that some are polarized and some aren't speaks volumes about their quality control.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    Any LCD screen is polarized. That's how they work--the entire screen has a polarizer, and the liquid crystals in each pixel will polarize in a direction "across" the polarization of the screen when they're active, so they appear. If you rotate the handheld, you'll see the display go from perfectly readable to black and back. Same with digital watch and cellphone displays.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    I notice a nasty rainbow effect when looking at the screen when it's bright outside. At some angles, you can't read it. I don't recall this with my Treo300,600 or 650.
    For what it's worth, Matt
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise
    Any LCD screen is polarized. That's how they work--the entire screen has a polarizer, and the liquid crystals in each pixel will polarize in a direction "across" the polarization of the screen when they're active, so they appear. If you rotate the handheld, you'll see the display go from perfectly readable to black and back. Same with digital watch and cellphone displays.
    Tom is right that LCD screens are polarized. That said, it doesn't explain why some screens have "rainbow" moire and/or blackout effects when viewed through polarized lenses and some don't. I'm curious.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    I have had three 700p for various reasons. All of mine have had this effect. My screnn i think is very readable in the bright sun with or without the polarized glasses. I find if I tilt the screen just a few degrees the rainbow dissapers and the screen is bright and readable in the daylight. My lifedrive screen is way darker in the daylight. I think they did right here with what ever coating or screens they used.
    700pInIt
    Palm Pro > Plam VII > m130 > T3 > T5 > LifeDrive > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > 700w
    Holly crap who knew these Treo thingys were so cool!
    If you shine polarized light through a piece of plastic and look at it with polarized sunglasses or a polarizing filter, you'll see a rainbow effect that will be strongest near points of stress. This stress can be from something physically clamping, bending, or squeezing the plastic, or internal to the plastic due to uneven cooling during forming/setting.

You'll very likely see the rainbow pattern on a plastic screen, but not on a glass screen, and you may see it in the flexible plastic layer of the digitizer or a screen protector, since the light shining through it would be polarized by the LCD.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek