Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All of the benchmarks prove about a 50% decrease in speed compared to the Sprint 650. Speedy, pBench, VFSMark, TCPMP benchmark, etc. My tests were done on a bone-stock 700p with nothing installed. The 700p seems to slow down even more as the RAM fills up.

pbench data access = 1384% (only 844% on the 700p)
    VFSMark = 1411 (only 988 on the 700p)
    speedy = 2055 (only 1531 on the 700p) with 0.38 0.17 0.24 0.79

I saw another thread that stated it was a different memory structure on the 700p which causes it to run so slowly, though it has the same processor speed as the 650.

1. Can anyone elaborate on the exact difference in the memory and whether or not a firmware update is feasible?

2. Does a benchmarking app need to be 700p-specific to return a more accurate result?

3. With all of the lags, ptunes choppiness, white screens, etc. found on the 700p, could PXAClocker be used to fix the 700p's speed problems? I've tried it but couldn't get it to run without crashing on the 700p. Could the problems be related?
    they have to release a update to fix this crappy device.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    All of the benchmarks prove about a 50% decrease in speed compared to the Sprint 650. Speedy, pBench, VFSMark, TCPMP benchmark, etc. My tests were done on a bone-stock 700p with nothing installed.
    And a 650 that's been overclocked. Once again, here are the benchmark figures for a stock 650 per Speedy's website:

http://www.aldweb.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=6921
  4.    #4  
    My 650 is not overclocked and all of the tests were done at the stock speed with my 650 loaded with apps like Butler, BackupMan, Uninstall, keycaps, keyshades, etc.

Either step up to the plate and post your results from pbench, VFSMark and TCPMP or get out of my thread, troll.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    1) I did post my results in this thread, using Speedy, one of your approved benchmarking test. I included an actual photo to show that a stock 700p was actually faster than a stock 650 per Speedy's website:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...8&page=2&pp=20

You've never posted a picture of anything, and you CLAIM that your results are from an un-overclocked 650, even though we KNOW you own pxaclocker. You think people believe you over the guy that wrote the benchmarking program Speedy??

2) It's not your thread. Treocentral owns the thread, as well as the website, and maybe the server as well. YOU don't get to decide who posts where, and as long as I am civil about it, I am free to point out that you are a fraud, IMHO.

3) I am quite certain that those who have seen your posts, and my responses to your posts which included pictures and web links know who the troll is.......
    What's that I smell burning? 2000Man's ego perhaps?

Seriously, there is a big problem with Treo 700p slowing down through normal use with only a light amount of apps installed. The device will freeze and/or reset and it appears to run better for a short time only to slow down again and eventually freeze and/or reset. The thread author does present good questions and I hope we can get some info and accountability from Palm. My Treo 600 seems like lightening compared to this thing after a full days' use.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
  7.    #7  
    Still waiting for dcpmark's benchmarks. He posted one and it was much slower than my 650. I'm guessing that he ran the other benchmarks and was too embarrassed to post the results.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Still waiting for dcpmark's benchmarks. He posted one and it was much slower than my 650. I'm guessing that he ran the other benchmarks and was too embarrassed to post the results.
    You mean, much slower than your overclocked 650. And you can guess, but you would be wrong......again.
  9.    #9  
    Running the 650 at standard clock speeds for the tests. If I tested it overclocked, it would probably shatter your entire world.

Too bad that pxaclocker doesn't work on the 700p or you could at least get up to the 650's 312MHz performance level.
    Why don't you guys take this outside where you can happily compare the sizes of your respective members...
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I'm just tired of this guy spouting off in lots of threads, claiming that the 700p is 50% slower than the 650. You know, I've actually seen people question whether they should get a 700p based on his "facts," or lament that they should have waited. So I posted my Speedy results to shut him up, and pointed to the website to show his 650 Speedy results were fraudulent. Someone had to point out that the only tool you really need to show he is wrong is 2000 Man himself.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    I'm just tired of this guy spouting off in lots of threads, claiming that the 700p is 50% slower than the 650. You know, I've actually seen people question whether they should get a 700p based on his "facts," or lament that they should have waited. So I posted my Speedy results to shut him up, and pointed to the website to show his 650 Speedy results were fraudulent. Someone had to point out that the only tool you really need to show he is wrong is 2000 Man himself.
    Regardless of his data being factual or not, the 700p is a lot slower than the 650 for many people. Check the threads man–2000man is not the only one complaining. There is seriously something wrong here and I would definitely caution people against buying a 700p if they have a 650 because the speed drop is debilitating. I'm sure that Palm will release some rom updates SOMEDAY but until that day comes a lot of people are going to be justifiably unhappy.
  13.    #13  
    All of my data is factual and I've offered to take pictures/videos to verify. The one thing that I have done to my 650 is that I'm using a custom ROM with all of the junk (including Versamail) stripped out.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    Regardless of his data being factual or not, the 700p is a lot slower than the 650 for many people.
    Are you kidding me? So you don't care if someone supports a position with non-factual data, as long as you agree with his basic premise?? It's always been about his 50% slower claim for me, not that some people have found it slower, and some people haven't. That's a valid, REASONABLE thing to discuss. False claims of 50% slower need to be exposed for the fraud that they are. Apparently you don't agree, which is your right.....
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    All of my data is factual and I've offered to take pictures/videos to verify. The one thing that I have done to my 650 is that I'm using a custom ROM with all of the junk (including Versamail) stripped out.
    Thank you, Backup Man.....I think it was pretty clear from the evidence that you were not running a stock 650 v. a stock 700p. You DO understand that comparing your tweaked and customized 650 to a stock 700p without telling anyone what you had done is not very fair, right?
    2000Man, instead of offering to take pictures and video, why don't you just do it?

By the way, if you have Versamail and other files stripped out, you are increasing the size of the DBCache, which I have found increases the speed of the unit. I noticed a small, but noticeable speed bump when I removed about 2.5MB of files from my Verizon 650. Therefore, your unit is not stock. If your results are going to reflect the speed of a stock Treo 650, it should actually have a stock ROM!

Why don't you replace your stock ROM and then repost your speed benchmarks? That will be more useful, to compare a stock 650 to a stock 700p.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I'm just tired of this guy spouting off in lots of threads, claiming that the 700p is 50% slower than the 650. You know, I've actually seen people question whether they should get a 700p based on his "facts,"
    The statement that the 700p is world slower is not false. Many people have posted benchmarks. I just ordered a 650 for my wife, when it gets here I'll post stock benchmarks for both phones. It's quite different.
    Do the benchmarks really matter that much? The 700p feels a lot slower than the 650 to me and to many others here. I think it is a good idea to warn others about the problem before they spend a lot of money on an "upgrade."

I just don't get what all the nastiness is about.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyno
    Do the benchmarks really matter that much? The 700p feels a lot slower than the 650 to me and to many others here. I think it is a good idea to warn others about the problem before they spend a lot of money on an "upgrade."

I just don't get what all the nastiness is about.
    I'll say it one more time......very slowly. It's not about benchmarks. It's not about whether the 700p feels, is, or is not slower than the 650. It's about posting false claims based on false facts. Comparing the speed of a customized and tweaked 650 to a stock 700p without telling anyone about your magic 650 is not assisting anyone. It is disseminating misinformation. Feel free to post about how slow you feel your 700p is, feel free to warn others about it......just don't post false claims being "50%" slower than a stock 650 without using a stock 650.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner
    The statement that the 700p is world slower is not false. Many people have posted benchmarks. I just ordered a 650 for my wife, when it gets here I'll post stock benchmarks for both phones. It's quite different.
    Exactly. The 700p is much slower than the 650 in real life and it's also much slower in the benchmarks. Coincidence? I think not.

The 700p is just plain dog slow.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast