Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 304
  1. Chazzan's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    That's fine. I'll take all of the credit. I just want a fast 700p because I really liked the EV-DO and the BT 1.2 on the 700p.

    I do find it odd though that some are now accepting the fact that the 700p could possibly get any faster. Just a week ago, it was "lightning fast" compared to the 650. LOL
    I too commend 2000 Man. People will make fun because they're affraid to admit that their 600 dollar machines are actually inferior to the 650, but as 2000 Man has proven over and over again: no dissenter had a 700p that was fast enough to post benchmark scores. If this problem is fixed then I will definetly owe it to people like him. we'll only get what we want if we keep complaining to Palm and I'm all for that. when I first got my 700p I was extremely dissapointed with its performance like manymany others in this forum. If palm truly fixes this problem the 700p will be an amazing device. Now, unfortunately, it is embarrassing to demo to anybody because the lack of speed makes it look like a 5 year old device. Keep the torch burning.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    That's fine. I'll take all of the credit. I just want a fast 700p because I really liked the EV-DO and the BT 1.2 on the 700p.

    I do find it odd though that some are now accepting the fact that the 700p could possibly get any faster. Just a week ago, it was "lightning fast" compared to the 650. LOL
    Totally agree. I like my 700 and want it to come full circle in performance, and the 650 will finally be put to rest.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #103  
    I think its unfortunate that non of the reviews I have seen on the web acknowledge the slowdown. I think the only reason Palm made a statement and offered SD cards with the 650 was because some on the larger review sites picked up on the story regarding NVFS hoging memory.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I think its unfortunate that non of the reviews I have seen on the web acknowledge the slowdown. I think the only reason Palm made a statement and offered SD cards with the 650 was because some on the larger review sites picked up on the story regarding NVFS hoging memory.
    So true...none of the reviews reflect this issue...and it can be misleading towards customers, but then again, it seems to be more of an issue with ex 650 owners who enjoyed the better speeds and may not bother first time Treo customers. As I have said before, I am coming from a 600 so I can live with it, but what tipped me off was playing with other peoples 650's and it made me a little cross.
    at&t iPhone3G
  5. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    People will make fun because they're affraid to admit that their 600 dollar machines are actually inferior to the 650
    Mine was $399. Never had a 650. Went from a 600 (which was $549) directly to the 700p. Did you actually pay $600 for yours, or are you exaggerating to make your point? If you did pay that much, sorry to hear it.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    but as 2000 Man has proven over and over again: no dissenter had a 700p that was fast enough to post benchmark scores.
    Apparently if someone says something enough times, some will believe. From Page 2 of this thread, first post:

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...=118867&page=2

    I posted it, with pics. According to the criteria Speedy tests, the 700p is slightly faster than a STOCK 650. Did you not read this thread before making this statement, or are you lying to make your point? I also posted it in this thread:

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...8&page=2&pp=20

    I'm sure you just missed both. To be sure, there may be certain areas where the 700p is not as fast as the 650......that's not an issue for me, and others. I am quite satisfied with the speed of my device, from app switching to accessing the data on my 4GB card. But that's subjective. I get Ptunes skipping when trying to multitask, but I didn't buy a Treo to replace any of my iPods, anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    when I first got my 700p I was extremely dissapointed with its performance like manymany others in this forum.
    Again, you have my condolences......many, many of us are quite happy.
  6. #106  
    Don't get me wrong...I am very happy with my 700...but, it should be known to the manufacturers and customers of the appending issues. This will help in fixing this issue. Why sell ourselves short when a possible update to make things better is out their, and this thread is a start...until then, I love my 700.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #107  
    Ferreting out legitimate issues helps, and the 700p has issues for many. Making false statements couched as facts never helped anyone. In fact, it can have the opposite effect.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    I posted it, with pics. According to the criteria Speedy tests, the 700p is slightly faster than a STOCK 650. Did you not read this thread before making this statement, or are you lying to make your point?

    I'm sure you just missed both. To be sure, there may be certain areas where the 700p is not as fast as the 650......that's not an issue for me, and others. I am quite satisfied with the speed of my device, from app switching to accessing the data on my 4GB card. But that's subjective. I get Ptunes skipping when trying to multitask, but I didn't buy a Treo to replace any of my iPods, anyway.



    Again, you have my condolences......many, many of us are quite happy.
    No, your 700p isn't faster than a stock 650. I posted my results and they blow your 700p out of the water. You're also afraid to post your pBench data access score for some reason. I think that I know why. LOL

    pTunes doesn't skip on the 650 but it does on the 700p. Guess why.
  9. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I forgot about my custom ROM but thought about it after some have had luck with removing VersaMail files from their 700p's. I removed VersaMail from my 650's ROM but still run at the stock clock speed for all of my benchmarks.
    Do you think we've forgotten that you are running a CUSTOM 650 rom? And that you've admitted having Pxaclocker installed on your "stock" 650? Why is that your benchmarks are much faster than Speedy's reference benchmarks for the 650? In fact, they were faster than the TX, T5, T3, LifeDrive:

    http://www.aldweb.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=6921

    Why don't you explain THAT to everyone?
  10.    #110  
    So what if I'm running a custom ROM on my 650? If you think that it makes that big of a difference, why aren't you running a custom ROM on your 700p?

    I've posted my benchmarks while you haven't. Still waiting for those pBench numbers. Palm developers agree that the 700p's data access speeds are much worse than those on the 650. I'm surprised that some people are having so much trouble comprehending that.
  11. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    pTunes doesn't skip on the 650 but it does on the 700p. Guess why.
    Ah. A legitimate issue. The air smells nice up here, doesn't it?

    To answer your question, I don't have any clue why pTunes skips.....nor do you. I KNOW you're not a PalmOS programmer. I've read numerous theories as to why, some seem more credible than others based on how knowledgeable the source was. You can speculate that the 700p is "too slow" to play pTunes correctly, but that's all it is: speculation. Unlike you, I don't spout my opinion as fact.
  12.    #112  
    Still waiting for those low pBench scores of yours. LOL

    Are you claiming that Jeff Gibson isn't knowledgeable about the 700p? Perhaps you think that he's lying about the 650 being faster than the 700p?
  13. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    So what if I'm running a custom ROM on my 650? If you think that it makes that big of a difference, why aren't you running a custom ROM on your 700p?
    Do you admit that your Speedy benchmarks are much faster than those for the 650 posted here?

    http://www.aldweb.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=6921

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I've posted my benchmarks while you haven't.
    You can say this as many times as you want, and I'll just keep slapping you down: I posted my Speedy benchmarks in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Still waiting for those pBench numbers. Palm developers agree that the 700p's data access speeds are much worse than those on the 650.
    Another broad, sweeping generalization. Anyway, you are correct: I have not installed either pBench or VFSMark, since both haven't been updated since 2003 and 2001, respectively. That's before Palm 0S5 even came out, much less NVFS memory. BUT YOU MAY BE RIGHT!! Data access MAY be slower on the 700p than the 650......I just don't trust you or outdated programs to tell me. Speedy WAS updated in 2005 for the 650, and while it doesn't measure everything, what is does measure says the 700p is slightly faster. Call me silly, but I trust Speedy over you.
  14.    #114  
    Again, Jeff Gibson confirmed that the 700p's data access is much slower than the 650's. Are you claiming that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Is it a coincedence that his findings are the exact same as pBench's?
  15. #115  
    My posts keep getting deleted because there's a reeeeally sensitive person on this forum.

    I just ran this Speedy thing and it confirms with dcpmark -- .52/.16/.31 and a total time of .99 sec vs. the 650 published benchmark of 1.09, making the 700p about 10% faster on this benchmark.

    As I said, I have no 650 to compare this to, but the speed seems to be just fine, indeed better than the WinMobile devices I had prior to this. The benchmark shows the 700p to be 10% faster, but each benchmark will test something else so there will be variances in the results. Depending on which camp you sit in, you will pick the benchmark that supports your position.

    200_man, it seems you're happy and content with your 650. I think that's great!
  16. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #116  
    2000 Man, answer 1 question:

    Do you admit that your Speedy benchmarks are much faster than those for the 650 posted on Speedy's website?

    http://www.aldweb.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=6921
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    My posts keep getting deleted because there's a reeeeally sensitive person on this forum.

    No way...
    at&t iPhone3G
  18.    #118  
    Again, Jeff Gibson confirmed that the 700p's data access performance is much worse than the 650's, as was accurately tested by pBench.

    It sounds like the data access is what's really holding back the 700p. Now that it's been confirmed by a multitude of other users, we're left with trying to convince Palm to fix the data acess some way.
  19. #119  
    Hey 200 Man, will you assemble a campaign and write a letter or somehow contact Palm to communicate the information that you've gathered?

    I think that would be a very useful thing for you to do.
  20. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #120  
    2000 Man, answer 1 question:

    Do you admit that your Speedy benchmarks are much faster than those for the 650 posted on Speedy's website?

    http://www.aldweb.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=6921

    It's a 'yes' or 'no' question....
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions