Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    BTW, to anyone reading who doesn't have a 700p I just want to clarify that the slowness being talked about pertains to 1) Jumping between applications and 2) pTunes attempting to access SD cards. Those are the only things that are generally slower than the 650. Once you are in an application, it is pretty darn fast. Blazer with EVDO is a whole lot faster than the 650. So when they say the 700p is "slower than the 650", they are really only talking about jumping between apps and pTunes skipping. Just didn't want anyone to think my 700p sucks. Even with the problems, it still rocks overall! Hopefully Palm will fix these other problems soon.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2.    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    BTW, to anyone reading who doesn't have a 700p I just want to clarify that the slowness being talked about pertains to 1) Jumping between applications and 2) pTunes attempting to access SD cards. Those are the only things that are generally slower than the 650. Once you are in an application, it is pretty darn fast. Blazer with EVDO is a whole lot faster than the 650. So when they say the 700p is "slower than the 650", they are really only talking about jumping between apps and pTunes skipping. Just didn't want anyone to think my 700p sucks. Even with the problems, it still rocks overall! Hopefully Palm will fix these other problems soon.
    Not true. Please read the entire thread. The database access bug is noticeable a lot of the time. Just ask Jeff Gibson about it, if you don't believe me.
    No way dude. I own a Treo 700p. I don't need to read the entire thread. It is pretty darn fast for everything else. I stand by my statement.
  4.    #264  
    Post your pBench numbers then. If not, we know how much faith to put in your statements. lol
    Hey man, no disrespect to your opinion but Blazer on the 650 or the 700p? If it wasn't faster I would've returned it.
  6.    #266  
    Again, please post your pBench numbers to back up your claims of the 700p being faster than the 650.
    I noticed something odd the other day while listening to MP3s on my SD card w/ptunes (v.3.1.6) and playing Realdice's Multiplayer Texas Hold 'Em. The cards seemed to be dealt out really fast. I hit pause in ptunes, then went back into the poker app, and it was "normal" speed. I tried the same thing with a minesweeper program (pilotmines, available here) and indeed it seemed to be much faster while ptunes was playing. It seemed contradictory that the device was faster while running ptunes in the background, so I downloaded speedy (available here) and ran it.

The numbers I came up with supported common sense, that it would be slower with ptunes running. I got 1485 with EVDO disconnected, phone on, bluetooth off, ptunes not playing, and 1095 with EVDO disconnected, phone on, bluetooth off, and ptunes playing. Just for kicks, I also tried it with EVDO connected, and Toccer online, and got 1500/ptunes off, and 1103/ptunes on. Although the numbers confirm the common sense theory, there is no denying that those 2 apps ran faster while ptunes was playing. Has anyone else experienced similar performance gains while playing ptunes?
  8.    #268  
    Speedy doesn't test anything very well on the 700p. pBench is the one to use because it tests the data access speeds. There's certainly a bug in the way the 700p accesses the databases.
    Okay, using pBench, I got these scores:
    With ptunes off:
    Arithmetics: 427%
    Heap Management: 355%
    Data access: 501%
    Graphics: 951%

With ptunes on:
    Arithmetics: 344%
    Heap Management: 260%
    Data access: 377%
    Graphics: 694%
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Again, please post your pBench numbers to back up your claims of the 700p being faster than the 650.
    How about these numbers? Took me 3 minutes to bring up CNN's website on a 650 and 30 seconds on the 700.

By the way, pBench was last updated in 2003 - before the 700 or 650 came out. But trust what you will.
    How about these numbers? Took me 3 minutes to bring up CNN's website on a 650 and 30 seconds on the 700.

By the way, pBench was last updated in 2003 - before the 700 or 650 came out. But trust what you will.

That's what I was thinking. Anyway, don't claim anything or try to argue w/ 2000 Man. He'll just hound you forever to "backup your claims".

OTOH, this could be why the company that makes the 700p is halting production of the 700P until September. They said they're doing this because of some software problem.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    -- opps nevermind --
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I've had a couple of 700Ps already and I can say that the first one or two did have slowness problems, but my latest 700P is very fast. No lagging or hanging at all. PTunes does not skip either unless I try to access something on the SD card while PTunes is playing, but this happened on my 650 as well.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I've had a couple of 700Ps already and I can say that the first one or two did have slowness problems, but my latest 700P is very fast. No lagging or hanging at all. PTunes does not skip either unless I try to access something on the SD card while PTunes is playing, but this happened on my 650 as well.
    Hmm.... what revision is the phone?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Hardware revision? They were all hardware revision A. I don't think they'll have a new revision until they start producing them again in September.
    All of my earlier ones had 05-08-2006 waranty dates though. My latest one has a 05-11-2006 warranty date.
  17.    #277  

Um, EVDO is faster than 1xRTT. I really hope that wasn't the point that you were trying to make. If so, you'd better start a new thread and share your incredible insight with the world.

I didn't think that you'd be willing to post your pBench numbers. Not many 700p owners are. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi

OTOH, this could be why the company that makes the 700p is halting production of the 700P until September. They said they're doing this because of some software problem.
    IsLNdbOi,
    Where did you read this?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    This is the B.S. article published by Digitimes that everyplace is now mindlessly quoting as fact. That article said there were problems with the 700p so volume production was waiting until September.

Hello everyone! Do any of you think that all the stock available at Sprint, Verizon, and the Palm website is not volume production??? Really, why do people not think about this? Digitimes has been wrong so many times I've lost count. I should be on my third generation of the Apple iPhone by their reporting!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    IsLNdbOi,
    Where did you read this?
    TIA
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    hi

i am trying these different benchmarks on my 700p.

i do get the 1500 on Speedy.

is it the card data access on the 700p?
    I have differences amongst cards-

on my Sandisk 512MB Extreme, i get a VFSmark of 921.

with Transcend 4GB 150x, i get a VFSMark of 707!

(never any problems with recognition though like some had.)

?