1.    #1  
    I need some help with Bluetooth connection to an iMac G5. I am able to get the 700p and the iMac to recognize each other -- each appears to consider the other a trusted device -- but every attempt to execute a HotSync results in an error. Almost always it is the "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application" error, followed by a self-reset of the 700p. One time (only) a connection appeared to start (a dialog box appeared on the iMac screen), but I then got an error that the connection was lost.

I have seen some threads describing such problems, but all of the discussions (and most of the instructions on the 700p) use terms I am not familiar with and which I think are specific to Windoze. Can anyone offer suggestions on how I get this to work with a Mac?

I doubt that I will actually use Bluetooth for HotSync very often, since I have a cradle that works just fine, but I want to verify that the Bluetooth features on my 700p are working properly before I purchase other Bluetooth devices (currently planning on a GPS) and try to get them to work with the 700p.

Thanks!
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    make sure "Bluetooth-PDA-Sync" is enable under system prefs/bluetooth settings/sharing. that port should then show up under network settings. and make sure that bt is actually on.
    Last edited by treodub; 06/28/2006 at 11:15 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, bluetooth-pda-sync-port is on, and both the 700p and the iMac indicate that bluetooth is on. They just don't connect for a hotsync.

While typing this posting, I tried again and got the same "port in use" error, but for the first time the Treo did not reset itself. I don't know whether that means anything or not.

You say "that port should then show up under network settings." I am not clear as to the significance of that statement. What network settings and what am I supposed to do with them? The iMac network settings appear to offer the possibility of a bluetooth modem, but I don't think that is relevant to what I am trying, is it? Under HotSync Software Setup, I can select the bluetooth-pda-sync-port and click its "Settings" which offers a variety of speeds. If that is important, what speed should I be choosing? I have tried the slowest, fastest, and in between without success.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    the speed should be set at "fastest" eventhough that shouldn't be an issue. if you haven't done so already try pairing the treo w the imac again and then do the sync. i'm not sure, there may be a bt related bug in the latest mac os updated (10.4.7) if that matters.
  5.    #5  
    I am not aware of any possible bluetooth related bug in 10.4.7, but I am running 10.4.6 anyway -- is there a problem there?

I had each device forget the other as a favorite and went through the pairing again, with the iMac discovering the 700p. Everything appeared to match fine, though it seemed a little slow. I set the HotSync speed "as fast as possible". Tried three times to sync but got the port-in-use error and a Treo reset each time.

The Treo Bluetooth HotSync Setup procedure instructions make references to "PC", "System Tray", and "HotSync tray icon". Are these Windows references, and does having the bluetooth-pda-sync-port turned on for the iMac create an equivalent setup? It isn't working, and I don't know whether there is something else that is supposed to be set.

There are instructions about setting up a virtual serial port -- is the bluetooth-pda-sync-port the only one I need turned on? The iMac HotSync Software Setup Connection Settings also show bluetooth modem, Treo700-dial-upnetwork1, and Serialport-1 options that are turned off. They don't seem applicable, but should one or more of them be on? I tried it with the Treo700-dial-upnetwork1 on, but got the same error and reset (#4 for this morning).

Any more suggestions?
    Dr J